H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-31-2003, 10:43 PM

Detonate is off the scale

I spent the good portion of today hanging out with the guys from www.toughcountry.com at the Texas Truck and SUV show.

They make a really nice Rack, Ladder, and most importantly... Front and Rear bumper replacement.

One thing to note, is that the H2 Warn Winch Multi mount will not fit with this bumper. The stem is about 1" too short.

They also make a heavey duty brushguard that works with their front bumper, or... It's setup so that either factory brushguard will attach exactly like it does on the stock one.

Another thing to note is that there is no extra drilling to install these pieces, so reverting back to stock is very doable...

At anyrate... Here are the pictures!

http://www.toughcountry.com/Hummer.htm

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 05-31-2003, 10:43 PM

I spent the good portion of today hanging out with the guys from www.toughcountry.com at the Texas Truck and SUV show.

They make a really nice Rack, Ladder, and most importantly... Front and Rear bumper replacement.

One thing to note, is that the H2 Warn Winch Multi mount will not fit with this bumper. The stem is about 1" too short.

They also make a heavey duty brushguard that works with their front bumper, or... It's setup so that either factory brushguard will attach exactly like it does on the stock one.

Another thing to note is that there is no extra drilling to install these pieces, so reverting back to stock is very doable...

At anyrate... Here are the pictures!

http://www.toughcountry.com/Hummer.htm

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 06-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it me, or is the toughcountry rack a stolen copy of the Gobi Rack that has been around since the H2...

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 06-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Gobi Rack

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Stolen, toughcountry copy rack

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Hummer Guru

They look pretty close to me. I've seen those Gobi racks upclose, like at the 4x4 Meet, Greet and Swap Meet in Denver this year, and they are tough! I've got one on my x-mas wish list.

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 06-01-2003, 02:07 PM

NVR STUCK is off the scale

To copy is to flatter. It is hard to tell from the picture, but their welds do not seem to be as clean as GOBI's. It also looks like the ladder may extend farther away from the body (perhaps not a bad thing). Let's face it though, there are only so many ways to put a rack on top of a Hummer. As with most purchases though - it will come down to price for a lot of people. Everyone has a level of quality and customer service that they are willing to accept at a price they are willing to pay. I ordered a custom sized GOBI low-ride rack and can't wait for it to get here!

No Limits! Your Never Stuck in a Hummer!
Old 06-01-2003, 02:35 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

I like the rear bumper, not too crazy about the design of the front bumper though.

The rack is funny, from the front it looks like a Gobi rack turned upside down. I guess there's only so many ways to build a rack though. Besides the light bar function, it seems like a waste to have the rack extend past the sunroof to the front of the vehicle though. It's not like you can put anything up there.

I don't like hte black H2 on that site. I HATE seeing trucks with bling bling wheels loaded up with offroad accessories. You want to tell the owner to make up his freakin' mind on which look he's trying to go for.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 06-01-2003, 09:33 PM

buddy is off the scale

I don't know about those ugly oversize roof racks....reminds me of watching all the snowbirds heading south down I-95 through Jacksonville.. It looks like everything they own is on the roof and they're here to stay . Almost scary and funny at the same time. And to make matters worse. they're driving 80 mph and out control and don't even have a clue. Reminds me of those double-decker buses. I wonder how much weight you can get in one those things and still be able the drive safely.

Now, the low profile racks look much better. Not to high or gaudy looking. They appear to be just about the right size and would probably be preferred by most. At least they look better.

A couple of times last week I passed this yellow H2 sporting the chrome look. It was sad and funny at the same time, and I couldn't quit laughing, the H2 looked like it should have beeen it a circus.....the chrome roof rack, brush guard, and ladder was too much. If they like it, so be it, not my style. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:02 AM

Wow... I thought many more people would be interested in getting rid of their plastic bumpers for something more sturdy...

But to answer some of the comments....

Toughcountry has never heard of Gobi before. These are a just couple of good ole boys from Texas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Besides the light bar function, it seems like a waste to have the rack extend past the sunroof to the front of the vehicle though. It's not like you can put anything up there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
All of their racks come like that whether you have a sun roof or not. That piece where the sunroof is removable. That way if you do have a sun roof, you can take it off, but you also have the option of covering your sun roof for more storage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't like hte black H2 on that site. I HATE seeing trucks with bling bling wheels loaded up with offroad accessories. You want to tell the owner to make up his freakin' mind on which look he's trying to go for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Like I said... These are just a couple of good ole boys. They don't own that HUMMER. It's rented, borrowed, or whatever from an owner in Austin. Their Hardware bolts on using factory holes so they can pop it on and off at will.

Oh yeah, and Adam. Not to disappoint you too greatly, but Tough Country has been around a lot longer than the H2. Pretty out of line to just flat out say it's a Stolen Gobi Copy Kat Rack...

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 06-02-2003, 02:08 AM

NVR STUCK is off the scale

Detonate

In looking at their site I found something of interest - Specialty options include custom color or vehicle match powder coat finish, or high-pressure spray on bedliner finish. - That is a large number of finishes. I would like to see the bedliner finish on a rack. For "...just couple of good ole boys from Texas" they have a nice selection of options that I have not seen any where else. I hope they do well and find their niche in the market.

No Limits! Your Never Stuck in a Hummer!
Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Having that removeable piece over the sunroof is a nice touch. Extra utility when you need it, and the option to open the sunroof up when you don't. Good idea on thier part.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 06-17-2003, 03:31 PM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

Gee, I could easily modify my Gobi rack to have the removable section up front. Think I'll steal the idea from Tough Country.

We are some of the folks who can fill up a rack pretty easily with tents, sleeping bags, EXTRA FUEL, etc. Unless we want to pull a trailer, the rack is a good idea. I guess if we don't ever go off road camping we wouldn't need a rack.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.