H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before but i was not able to find the answer. I am about to order the GOBI rack with the tire carrier and with the sunroof opening. But then realize there's one with 2" bracket and one with 4.25" bracket?

I understand with the 2", i take out all the factory cross bars and the rack will obviously sit a little lower. I think i prefer the looks of this version. But is there any advantage or disadvantage i am not aware of?

And for the 4.25", i leave 2 of the factory cross bars on it and the rack sits higher. Does the factory cross bars give the rack better support? Any advantage or disadvantage?

Oh, my rig doesn't fit the garage regardless of which one i pick so that won't be my concern. Any suggestion or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before but i was not able to find the answer. I am about to order the GOBI rack with the tire carrier and with the sunroof opening. But then realize there's one with 2" bracket and one with 4.25" bracket?

I understand with the 2", i take out all the factory cross bars and the rack will obviously sit a little lower. I think i prefer the looks of this version. But is there any advantage or disadvantage i am not aware of?

And for the 4.25", i leave 2 of the factory cross bars on it and the rack sits higher. Does the factory cross bars give the rack better support? Any advantage or disadvantage?

Oh, my rig doesn't fit the garage regardless of which one i pick so that won't be my concern. Any suggestion or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the stealth, not the full height rack, but I may be able to help. The Stealth comes with the 2" brackets and the rack sits about 1 1/2"s above the roof. At around 245lbs I have no problems walking around and shaking the truck side to side. It makes sense that with the taller brackets and the rack sitting on the stock crossbars you would have better strength. I could not find weight ratings, but doubt it would be an issue.

Look at all the crap on Adam's truck ( ) in this thread. He has the 2" brackets.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=524106199
Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Navigator is off the scale

I have the full size rack with the short bracket, I diddnt see any need to have the crossbars under there too. I think it looks better lower.

Mods & Pics

Old 01-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

cyberaxe is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Navigator:
I have the full size rack with the short bracket, I diddnt see any need to have the crossbars under there too. I think it looks better lower.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that looks good,.....
but for those of us that are TOO lazy to remove the factory bars......
it still looks good.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Wildfred,

How the heck are you ging to do covered parking at the Del Amo Mall?
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 01-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kacyk:
Wildfred,

How the heck are you ging to do covered parking at the Del Amo Mall? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL....
don't do no steeeking malls!......

besides,....I'm useally haulen crap that's taller anyway....
Old 01-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice bumper sticker. But all that mud on your fancy "golf cart" concerns me. Better get a lesson.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:
Nice bumper sticker. But all that mud on your fancy "golf cart" concerns me. Better get a lesson. http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/laug...elrotflmao.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha ha ha......
yeh, those water hazards are hell down in Mississippi.....
but I did manage to get a couple of "birdies"!!!
LOL
Old 01-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 2" brackets because I originally had a GOBI stealth rack. I see no need for the crossbars. They will allow more weight I suppose, but you'd have to put 1000lbs up there to make a difference.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Thanks guys, think i will go with the 2", doubt i will ever put that much up there anyways.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Thanks kacyk, you just gave me another reason to buy the GOBI or anything that'll make the wife not able to find a parking spot at the mall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kacyk:
Wildfred,

How the heck are you ging to do covered parking at the Del Amo Mall? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Hey Adam, how do you like your piaa 520s up there? Are they pretty bright? Reason im asking is because both Navigator and Cyberaxe are running the 580s and you seem to have a lot more lights at the grill too.

And piaa does not state their candlepower on each light so there's no way to compare the brightness between models

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
I have the 2" brackets because I originally had a GOBI stealth rack. I see no need for the crossbars. They will allow more weight I suppose, but you'd have to put 1000lbs up there to make a difference. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

mossinc is off the scale

Hey guys the rack sits about a 1/2 off the stock bars with the 4 inchers . They offer no support for the rack , so its just a matter of what look ya like or if your to (lazy)to take the stockers off : )
Stuff !
Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

I really can't answer your question about the power of the lights, because I do not know. I use them rather infrequently, but they seem to get the job done. The 6 PIAAs on the grille are really out of boredom, not necessity. They were on sale for $50.00/pair, so I couldn't resist. The lights on the roof are what the installation team at GOBI put on there when we switched from the Stealth rack to the full size one.

As far as the bracket difference goes, the rack does have a little flex to it, so the 4" brackets with the existing roof bars do add a little bit of structural integrity. Again, you would have to put some serious weight on the roof to see the difference.

There are some photos on the site with a bunch of us on Paul's rack, and some others on Blake's rack in NE, I think. I'm sure they can be found with some digging. With 5 or 6 men on the rack, it flexes a little bit, but it had to be over 1000lbs.

You can always e-mail me with questions at adam@gobiracks.com if you'd like.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Oh, i guess you work at gobi You must've gotten a real good deal on it I have decided to go with the 2" and ordered it yesterday already. I can't wait I can't wait

Thanks in advance for offering assistance already. I guess all these rumors that gobi has excellent customer service are all true! (Unlike Borla I might add, but that's another story...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
I really can't answer your question about the power of the lights, because I do not know. I use them rather infrequently, but they seem to get the job done. The 6 PIAAs on the grille are really out of boredom, not necessity. They were on sale for $50.00/pair, so I couldn't resist. The lights on the roof are what the installation team at GOBI put on there when we switched from the Stealth rack to the full size one.

As far as the bracket difference goes, the rack does have a little flex to it, so the 4" brackets with the existing roof bars do add a little bit of structural integrity. Again, you would have to put some serious weight on the roof to see the difference.

There are some photos on the site with a bunch of us on Paul's rack, and some others on Blake's rack in NE, I think. I'm sure they can be found with some digging. With 5 or 6 men on the rack, it flexes a little bit, but it had to be over 1000lbs.

You can always e-mail me with questions at adam@gobiracks.com if you'd like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Wilfred:

You will be thrilled with the GOBI Stealth...the best rack on the market.

Consider going with 2 rear ladders, makes it easy to get things up and down from either side.

Ric
Old 01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Pic
Go GOBI!!!

Ric
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

pic 2