H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Microday is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to keep the H2 after all. I sold the Cadillac CTS-V in a matter of days after listing it, this vehicle is in hot demand.

A big reason that I was looking to sell the H2 in the first place was the color. I bought a red metallic and my wife really hates the color. Has anyone repainted the entire outside to another color? I'm thinking of going to black but not sure, don't want to waste the opportunity. How much do you think it will cost? What are the pitfalls?

I bought the adventure series and it came with alot of black parts. I want to change the brush guard to chrome and a few other items. Where is the best place to find these items? I'm looking for the best price. I will leave a post in the classified section for WTB.

thanks for you reponses.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

I'm going to keep the H2 after all. I sold the Cadillac CTS-V in a matter of days after listing it, this vehicle is in hot demand.

A big reason that I was looking to sell the H2 in the first place was the color. I bought a red metallic and my wife really hates the color. Has anyone repainted the entire outside to another color? I'm thinking of going to black but not sure, don't want to waste the opportunity. How much do you think it will cost? What are the pitfalls?

I bought the adventure series and it came with alot of black parts. I want to change the brush guard to chrome and a few other items. Where is the best place to find these items? I'm looking for the best price. I will leave a post in the classified section for WTB.

thanks for you reponses.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:25 PM

Mike & Rhonda is off the scale

Yellow only color for me.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:19 PM

VernB is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">H2 Red Metallic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would like the red.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

I'd definitely go for the orange, if I got the custom paint job done on mine...

Old 07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

As said here, if you are going to the trouble of painting an H2, make the color unigue. Otherwise just trade it for another in on the stock color you want. It will be cheaper than a GOOD custom paint job.

The blue H2, by VIP Customs, formally CTL Motorsposts, is a great looking H2.

It will not be cheap since you want the door jams, etc. done as well. A good body shop in your arear can give you a price for your area of the country.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2005, 04:24 PM

h2sin is off the scale

how about this color

Old 07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I agree with HGW and Phil.
If You paint go to something different but it will be costly to do it right. Use a skilled master of which few exsist anymore but, just a good panter could run as high as $4000 to $10,000 depending on what You want done and how right You want it to be. Cost of paint is not why it is so expensive but, it is the labor that makes up most of the cost. All this has to be done by hand especially a complete color change. i would not even do one if I could not do it right. I would not want someone asking who in the world did that and get a bum rap because it was the customers choice. Now there are plenty out there that will becuase they are looking at short term and changing business names and moving across town. Allot will shoot You a low ball but, paint will stop at door edges etc. If We just do a graphic on an existing paint We pull door panels and make graphic go all the way into the door jam and disappear behind door panel. Most cut it of at the door edge and looks cheap. We want graphic to follow rider into the car. We pull most all the interior out for a full paint change and paint enything that could have red on it. Thus allot more money. If they do it right they will remove allot of the interior to get rid of factory paint. Have You thought about the fact the engine bay is color matched to ext. That has to all be done and everythig that can be removed and then that which cannot has to be taped up. I'm chroming the metal in the inside of My engine bay all away around the engine and all the way around the outside of the engine bay where hood closes and You do not see it except at shows. It is taking us a whole week to do this just so that We do not miss covering gray where We want it covered. We are not even covering all the gray because it is just impossbible to do so without pulling engine out. So We developed a patern to blend the gray into the scheme. Think about 2 guys for a week just to get the engine bay to match the outside color change. Next if You paint, keep good records and should You sell get a carfax immediately as it will be looked at as salvaged so it can hurt the value repainting it if not documented properly. I'm intentionally putting a scare in You because it is a daunting task and expensive. You would be better trading for a new one. WE do this every day on tuner and rice rockets, as well as Hummers and I know what it takes to do it and the cost for an H2 would be ridiculous. I'm just fortunate Mine is done by My guys. But, We know not to paint the whole H2 thus We are using pearl in clear to work with gray and a patern that I will not mention because i do not know who I will be competing agianst. But We are sure it has not been seen before just like most of the other stuff We are doing. One of a kind that We built. Just to scare You more My show ride will have $100,000 in it with sponsor's money and some are here in this forum and most national companies or I would not be able to afford it. Included and the paint is going on at the same time We are making all the other goodies on it and installing. We have been working on it for 1 month now and I have driven it one day because i could not stand it anymore and have another 2 to 3 weeks to go before i take it into south Texas for a big show if We finish paint in time. If NOt I will skip and try for the next weekend if not I will skip. Our goal is HGW and WoO sprint Hummer competition in Pittsburgh. I do not care if I make another show as long as I'm ready for that one. I'm hauling My baby 15 hours to gee there so distance should not be someone's excuse for not going. Soory for the side track just wanted to promote the big show. I need some competion there. It really is very hard and We are not even changing colors but being very careful with the pearl and halogram in the pearl.
So paint is High.
What I recommend is taking the ride a to good techie paint shop and let them photoshop different colors and schemes and let Her set there and make choices. This way She can not be mad at You. We photoshop evey customer and even add chrome acc. on it so they can see what it looks like. The red lends itself to look good with allot of chrome.
Now all that is the hard way. Find out what colors she does like. If it is silver which would work real good with what i'm going to suggest but, many colors will work just depending on her preference. Let's take silver. You can have rig wet sanded and a heavy or light silver pearl, white pearl which is absolutely beautiful, add to clear coat and that can be photoshoped to see how much to use before doing it, but it can almost change the color without changing the color. It is easier but, make sure they go inside the door and remove kick plates and door panels so it follows the rider into the ride.
We photo shop everyone to get a good idea of what they want and help them to be happy. Like I said many colors would work here. Do not change the color of the original. To costly and the pearl and silver in clear is simplier and still title looks good with out explanation and You both get to go through the process together.
She will be very happy and love the H2.
I went through this fast but, if You want to talk more I will be glad to help. PM Me at rltazh2.
Oh they even have a halogram material that can be added to clear and it will change colors as You walk by. You do not use a rainbow holgram but, they make halogram in different shades to accent the base color of Your ride. I would say so many different varieties of holgram that You can think of. They mix several different that would look good on Your red.
Well hope I have been helpful.
In fact evryone is on holiday but, if You like et some accent colors in mind and i will have My partner do some photoshop for You just to get you started. We have pearl accents in Our data base. In fact if You waite a few weeks We had a paint company come buy and had seen Our work and asked to replace everything We got including partial used paint if We would switch to their system. So We are. Plus they are going to send what ever i need to paint My show girl and We have a holgram in mind We are not good enaough or anhyone We know of for a wide radius around but, they are thinking about sending their air b ruch guy to us to do it to be a sponsor of the girl. I will help the best We can but, I mention the change because it is going to be costlier paint but, many more choices and less waste.
Sorry for the side track i just hate to see a Forum buddie go out and spend money and hate it.
I forgot go to veilside.com/veilsideusa/aero/Hyundai/Tiburon.htm
This is a year model of Tiburon I hate, but look at how nice it is. My daughter wanted a white one and after We finished with blue pearl in the clear along with this bodykit I figured I better wait to see the finished project before cutting out any idea on a project. So if You can make a tiburon look decent i believe now after this experience you can make anything look good if not hot. Click on the pics and see the difference the Tiburon almost disappeared but, the same thing can be done with just adding to the clear coat on You red H2. It will just change the color enough that it is there but, not.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike & Rhonda:
Yellow only color for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My wife wants our H3 in yellow.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I would love to see a desert commo H2.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:37 PM

h2sin is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XM DUDE:
I would love to see a desert commo H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-02-2005, 06:45 PM

h2sin is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RLTAZH2:
Allot will shoot You a low ball but, paint will stop at door edges etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing is worse than seeing a different color when you open the hood
Old 07-02-2005, 08:44 PM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

^ exactly. for something as drastic as a completely different color, it would just make some people cringe to see a different color in the engine bay. it basically says, "i'm a cheapo who didn't care to do this right". an option you might have is to keep the red, but perhaps do a two tone (a popular thing right now). a different color on the top half of the vehicle will allow you to leave the engine red.

otherwise as everyone has stated, it would be cheaper to trade in yours for another. the cost will be close to $8000 range (price varies per area). if you're asking, why so high??? if it were to look factory here's what would happen: engine removed, all seals removed, all windows removed, all doors removed and disassembled (including door handles, to paint jams), hood removed and disassembled, and fenders removed to paint behind it. estimated time just for disassembly with 2 people: 2 days. it frustrates me when people walk in expecting us to paint their car for $500.

btw - congrats on the cts-v sale. i would love to have one. i'd take the xlr-v any day though.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for all the answer especially Taz. In the future I will provide add more details to my questions. I was not looking for a $500 paint job but not a 10K paint job either. For a daily driver this would be hard to justify, I would be better off to trade. I'm going to research the clear coat idea.

It sounds like I better focus on chrome.

My original plans were to keep the lower half chrome (Wheels, side steps). Keep black in the middle (Brush, door handles, tail light guards) and them the chrome on top. I now want to have chrome everywhere, brush guard, door handles, hood latches, vent covers, and tail light guards.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Cool Desert cameo. My partner and I are going to do a lifted rig with a water cameo this winter or next spring. We will put twin turbo's on it unless I get voted down on it by Our shop guys. But, the nice thing about them is they are so competitive they will try anything if we tell them they cannot do something. You know reverse psychology.

Thanks Dragon for elaborating on how tuff it is to paint a whole rig and do it right.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Hummer Authority

I suggest You ask Dragon more about the paint He knows way more than I do. He may have some ideas that would not be to bad. But, I can tell You the chrome is not going to be very cheap. It is quite expensive unless like paint You try to do it on the cheap You will get cheap. I'm replacing hood springs, d rings, taillight guards, and rear door handles because i was told it was quality and it started flaking 6 months after getting it and the guy will not stand behind it. Be careful. What someone says means nothing this day and age unless You have know them long enough to put that trust in them.
TAZ.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

pewter's good...

K
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2005, 02:48 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Microday:
Thanks for all the answer especially Taz. In the future I will provide add more details to my questions. I was not looking for a $500 paint job but not a 10K paint job either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oooops... i didn't mean that you were looking for a cheap paint job. that was more of a side note. blinging it will create a slight contrast. and hey... i never really liked red either. but it's growing on me. that could happen to her.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Microday: Listen to these guy on the paint if you want a great job. They started doing Tuner stuff years before the H2 and can do everything you need. Here's the site address they don't want up because it's only a front page:
http://hummercustoms.com/
Now I can get a bad e-mail from them. http://motorsportsauthority.com/ handles all the tuning for everything from ricers to HUMMERS while http://hummercustoms.com/ takes care of us four wheelers.