H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

you decided to get an H3?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

you decided to get an H3?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

None, even though I'm not ordering until Sept. Then again, I work for GM, and a few years ago stated to my fellow co-workers that if GM came out with something close in price to a Jeep Rubicon, that could do what a Rubicon did, I would purchase it. So, in a month I'm selling the Jeep and purchasing the H3 with my GMS discount.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

I thought about a Nissan Murrano, and a BMW X5, but never actually went and looked at them. I knew right away that the H3 was the one I wanted.
I work for GM and our Engineering department had a couple at the plant, but I could never see them, they were always out when I was in. Then I finally cornered one and after seeing it, I ordered mine the next day. Less than a month later I was driving it.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Jamo is off the scale

With 2 kids (one is 3 years-old and the other is 4 months-old), a vehicle with 4 doors is a necessity, and since we live out in the country and in an area of the U.S. “blessed” with floods, tornadoes, and the occasional ice storm, we really want a 4WD vehicle to help prevent us from being stranded should we need to travel during adverse conditions. The first thing that came to our minds was: “HUMMER!”

We’ve always loved the H2, but couldn’t afford one, being a new family. Now that the H3 is out and more within our budget, we considered one. We love the Hummer pedigree, history, and the H3’s ability to go (almost) anywhere and do (almost) anything.

Now that I've found out that I'd have to take my H3 to a Hummer dealer to have it serviced instead of any GM/GMC dealer (nearest Hummer dealer is 100 miles away), I guess I'll be looking for a vehicle that can be serviced in-town.

We’ve recently researched the newly redesigned Nissan Pathfinder. With exterior dimensions within a few inches (plus or minus) of the H3, more horsepower, more torque, seating for 7 (versus 5 in the H3) and identical size tires, 4WD (with a “4LO” setting), similar price, AND being able to have it serviced in-town, it MAY be our best alternative to a H3. Admittedly the H3 has a locking differential and slightly better approach and departure angles, but I doubt we’ll be climbing boulders anytime soon – or ever. We need something that will traverse our farmland, flooded roads, and other slightly less “Moab-like” obstacles. Pathfinders and H3s are in the same ballpark ($35K - $38K) and there’s no wait to get a Pathfinder (and actually rebates on them occasionally).

Here’s a brief rundown on the 2 vehicles’ specs:

H3: 3.5L I-5 engine
Pathfinder: 4.0L V-6 engine

H3 HP: 220 HP
Pathfinder HP: 270 HP

H3 Torque: 225 lb-ft.
Pathfinder Torque: 291 lb-ft.

H3 maximum towing capacity: 4700 lbs
Pathfinder maximum towing capacity: 6000 lbs.

H3 cargo capacity (behind front seats): 55.7 cubic feet
Pathfinder cargo capacity (behind front seats): 79.2 cubic feet

H3 fuel tank capacity: 23 gallons
Pathfinder fuel tank capacity: 21.1 gallons

H3 standard tires: P265/65R17 (without 33” tires added)
Pathfinder standard tires: P265/65R17

H3 length: 186.7”
Pathfinder length: 187.6”

H3 width: 74.7”
Pathfinder width: 72.8”

H3 height: 73.7”
Pathfinder height: 72.8”

H3 wheelbase: 111.9”
Pathfinder wheelbase: 112.2”

H3 curb weight: 4700 lb.
Pathfinder curb weight: 4697 lb.

H3 ground clearance: 8.5” (without 33” tires added)
Pathfinder ground clearance: 8.6”

H3 breakover angle: 23.5 degrees (without 33” tires added)
Pathfinder breakover angle: 22.3 degrees

H3 approach angle: 37.5 degrees (without 33: tires added)
Pathfinder approach angle: 30.7 degrees

H3 departure angle: 35.5 degrees (without 33” tires added)
Pathfinder departure angle: 22.4 degrees
Old 07-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, what's the problem with getting the H3 fixed at a GM dealership? A nearby Cadillac dealership here (they do not sell Hummers normally) sells H3's that it has purchased and does the work on them. I'm sure you'll have no problems whatsoever bringing the H3 into a regular GM dealership, if a job comes around that requires a Hummer tech they could probably get one in.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Jamo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RazM:
Wait, what's the problem with getting the H3 fixed at a GM dealership? A nearby Cadillac dealership here (they do not sell Hummers normally) sells H3's that it has purchased and does the work on them. I'm sure you'll have no problems whatsoever bringing the H3 into a regular GM dealership, if a job comes around that requires a Hummer tech they could probably get one in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please see the current thread "Can Any GM dealer service the H3?"

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...5/m/9161027231

It's being said that ONLY Hummer dealers can service Hummers, unless it's something simple like an oil change.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

I can't remember the last time I turned my head at a stoplight to notice a Pathfinder...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MxHonda:
I can't remember the last time I turned my head at a stoplight to notice a Pathfinder... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was about 10 years ago for me

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at the Honda Pilot, the Pathfinder, the Jeep Liberty, and the Grand Cherokee. I liked the cockpit design on the H3, the exterior, styling, the ruggedness of the frame with the reputation Hummer has for building solid vehicles (just compare the dry weight of the others), the comfort of the seats (big factor for me), the suspension design, the good reputation of the I5 with the 4 year warranty, the mileage, the sales experience, and buying an American made vehicle. I don't do a lot of boulder climbing either, but I do a lot of dirt/muddy roads and snow (some years-the last two have been mild).
My dislikes were the distance to a Hummer dealership (I do most things myself anyway), the small windows (which I consider a plus now), selling at MSRP (pretty common for a hot demand vehicle), and smaller cargo space.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM

GrimReaper is off the scale

I've been looking at SUV's for a year. I wanted something with a tuff truck chassis, 4wd, decent styling, and a manual transmission. This is the first vehicle I've seen in a year of casual looking that meets all of those requirements. I almost got a Murano because I liked the styling, but I was set on a particluar color and option package, and this combo was not available with 4wd anywhere in the southeast US. (The dealer tried to convince me that I would never need the 4wd.) I drove a Jeep Rubicon, and I really liked it, but it was totally impractical for a primary family vehicle.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 PM

Jamo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GrimReaper:
I've been looking at SUV's for a year. I wanted something with a tuff truck chassis, 4wd, decent styling, and a manual transmission. This is the first vehicle I've seen in a year of casual looking that meets all of those requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much the same here, except I don't want or need a manual. The 2005 redesign is the first generation of Pathfinder I've ever liked. It's body-on-frame with a boxed truck chassis, has 4LO, 4HI, great styling (IMO) and more power than the H3 - all for about the same price or less after incentives and rebates. It doesn't have a solid axle, but you can't have everything.

If Hummer would let me have a H3 serviced at my local GMC dealer, I'd give them my ~$35K+ (and would even drive 800 miles to Dallas to buy one if I had to). Unfortunately, they want the customer to bend to meet their wishes. I must be old school, because I have this crazy mindset that the dealer is in business to serve the customer and make their life easier.

I don't need a H3 to impress my friends or satisfy some middle-age crisis. I need it for hauling my family around and purely utilitarian reasons, some of those just happen to involve very inclement weather and/or harsh driving conditions. I DO feel the H3 is the best-suited vehicle (in the price range) to meet my criteria, but in lieu of getting a H3, I think the Pathfinder is also in the top ranks of "capable" SUVs and deserves a non-biased look.

Owning a H3 would be sweet, no doubt, and maybe something will change or Hummer will have a revelation regarding service in the near future. Until then, I'm going to start researching more on the Pathfinder (while keeping my hopes up about the H3). It's also American-made (built in Smyrna, TN - a little over 100 miles from my house) and has gotten glowing reviews in the auto magazines. At least I'll only have to take it 12 miles to have it serviced.

Thanks for the input!

J
Old 07-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

OK, I actually went to the site and looked at the Pathfinder. It is still not for me, but seems like a nice vehicle. I would take the 100 mile chance that there will never be anything wrong with the H3 that requires service. Either decision will be good because its a NEW vehicle and the economy needs all the help you can give.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I think the H3 is far better looking, thoe the Pathfinder is nice, I will take the Hummer hands down as it has the coolness factor.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:56 AM

Jamo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MxHonda:
OK, I actually went to the site and looked at the Pathfinder. It is still not for me, but seems like a nice vehicle. I would take the 100 mile chance that there will never be anything wrong with the H3 that requires service. Either decision will be good because its a NEW vehicle and the economy needs all the help you can give. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice comparison shots. Yeah, if you look at the specs I posted up in the beginning of this thread, the exterior dimensions are all within a few inches of each other, yet the Pathfinder can seat 7 and has more cargo space when carrying 5 passengers. Occasionally we'd like to take my parents on trips, so seating for 6 (me, wife, 2 kids, 2 parents) would be really nice. Ground clearance and other off-road specs (breakover angles, etc.) are roughly the same when each are equipped with identical tires.

The H3 certainly has a more "in your face" look to it, and will certainly get you noticed. I'm not that worried about that, and just need a reliable vehicle that can go where I need it to. Having had reliability issues with previous GM vehicles in the past, I'm not willing to "roll the dice" on never needing to take the H3 (either by driving it or flatbedding it) 100+ miles for service. If Hummer lets me take it locally for service, well, then I'll probably buy one.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, in fact thats what I was going to buy but then learned of the H3 and decided to wait to try it out before deciding.

Well, after 1 test drive and seeing it in person I choose the H3 hands down and am VERY glad I waited.

Brent
Old 07-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I think the H3 will out sell the Rubicon Unlimited as it does the same thing, but in more confort.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

woyster_h3 is off the scale

Where to begin...

(in no particular order)
Avalanche
Tahoe/Yukon
Suburban
Trailblazer/Envoy
Equinox
Toyota 4-Runner
Nissan Murano
Lexus RX
Infinity FX35
BMW X5
Porsche Cayenne
VW Toureg
Saab 97x
Volvo XC90
Honda Pilot
Hummer H2
and a few others

We wanted to get an SUV to replace the wife's Silverado...something with 4 doors to accomodate a baby seat (little did we know we were going to need 2 baby seats...didn't know that until two weeks after purchasing the H3). After looking for a couple months, test driving all of the above, and thinking about what to get the H3 was introduced. Before that time we had pretty much decided on the Nissan Murano with the Chevrolet Avalanche in second place. We decided to go by the Hummer dealership and take a look. To our surprise they had one and after one drive we were hooked. Two weeks later when the dealership received a new shipment we bought our Black H3.
Offroad Suspension Package, 33" Tires, Electronic Fully Locking Differential, 4.03:1 2-speed Transfer Case, Ebony Cloth Trim, Automatic Transmission, Sunroof, Roof Marker Lamps, Fog Lamps, XM Satellite Radio, CD/MP3 Player, Trailering Package, Black Tube Nerf Bars
Old 07-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, doesn't seem fair. You got yours two weeks after hearing about them. Most of us have been waiting month now

Congratulations on your H3, oh and on the twins too

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights