H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Hummer Novice

MtnHmr is on a distinguished road
Default Hummer Problems!

Hello All,
This is my first post so please bare with me. I have been lurking for quite some time and thought I would finally register. I have a problem that sounds similar to others I have seen but I think may be a little different.
I have a manual tranny with the adventure package.
Here is the scenario. I am in low range, first gear, going down hill. I am not touching the gas or brake. After 50 or 60 yards on any size incline the "TRACTION FAILED" message lights up on the drivers info display. At the same time the check engine light comes on and the engine starts to run extremely rough.
The local dealership has been great and even sent the shop forman out with his computer hooked up to the car for an off road excursion to attempt to diagnose the problem.
We returned to the dealership and called GM Technical Service where he was told that the problem was normal and was due to the software program. They said there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and that it was reacting the way it was designed.
I was very unhappy with this answer so I called Hummer Customer Service. They made thier calls and now have the same answer that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and it is operating as it was designed.
I have been off-roading for years and bought the H3 to do the same. I did not pay this kind of money for a vehicle to have all the bells and whistles go off every time I go down a hill.
First off, has anyone seen these symptoms? Secondly, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at loss.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

rkcrawl is off the scale
Default Re: Hummer Problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHmr
Hello All,
This is my first post so please bare with me. I have been lurking for quite some time and thought I would finally register. I have a problem that sounds similar to others I have seen but I think may be a little different.
I have a manual tranny with the adventure package.
Here is the scenario. I am in low range, first gear, going down hill. I am not touching the gas or brake. After 50 or 60 yards on any size incline the "TRACTION FAILED" message lights up on the drivers info display. At the same time the check engine light comes on and the engine starts to run extremely rough.
The local dealership has been great and even sent the shop forman out with his computer hooked up to the car for an off road excursion to attempt to diagnose the problem.
We returned to the dealership and called GM Technical Service where he was told that the problem was normal and was due to the software program. They said there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and that it was reacting the way it was designed.
I was very unhappy with this answer so I called Hummer Customer Service. They made thier calls and now have the same answer that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and it is operating as it was designed.
I have been off-roading for years and bought the H3 to do the same. I did not pay this kind of money for a vehicle to have all the bells and whistles go off every time I go down a hill.
First off, has anyone seen these symptoms? Secondly, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at loss.
Thanks

The vehicle is operating as designed, where in this case the design is to make the engine run like chit when using engine breaking to descend down a hill in a controlled manner sounds like a CYA excuss for POOR programming. I guess their program designers never wheel with manual transmissions going down hill...

Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add, but I've wheeled plenty with manual transmissions in the same manner as you were trying to do.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

not many with 5 speeds here , i have an auto , it may be the system trying to compensate for wheel slip if on gravel etc. try the same decent with the traction system turned off and see if the engine light still comes on without a trac fail warning . F5 will have a much better idea of what it could be , he will be checking in some time soon im sure
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Stability Control being disabled in Low-locked is a known issue, but I see no reason the why the check engine light comes on or why the engine starts running rough.

This thread may help. It seems that the clutch pedal on the 5-speed manual can wear through a wire, causing an issue.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16851

Last edited by Wisha Haddan H3 : 05-22-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

Keep bugging them. I have a manual H3 and it wheels as expected in 4 low lock with or without the traction control. Actually, it wheels much better than expected since I have not been able to induce a stall.
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Novice

The check engine light and rough idle was explained to me as follows by GM: As I descend the hill with my foot off of the gas pedal the car thinks it should be at idle. As the descend continues the rpm may rise slightly due to the steepness of the hill. Because the computer is confused by the rise in rpm it reacts and shuts off the gas to the motor.
For those of you you take your rigs off road you know how dangerous this could be especially if the motor was to die. Compression braking would be lost as well as your brake assist. I feel that this is totally unacceptable for a vehicle that was designed to be used off road.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The check engine light and rough idle was explained to me as follows by GM: As I descend the hill with my foot off of the gas pedal the car thinks it should be at idle. As the descend continues the rpm may rise slightly due to the steepness of the hill. Because the computer is confused by the rise in rpm it reacts and shuts off the gas to the motor.
For those of you you take your rigs off road you know how dangerous this could be especially if the motor was to die. Compression braking would be lost as well as your brake assist. I feel that this is totally unacceptable for a vehicle that was designed to be used off road.

Wouldn't you get the same thing driving down the highway when you let off the gas going down a hill

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Hummer Novice

I have never had that happen but it is a good thought. When I am off road it seems to take a good long hill to make it do its thing. When I am on the road, I don't think my foot is ever off of the gas pedal that long.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Being in FL I usually don't come across hills long enough that I would think it would happen either but just a thought. I would bet they would explain that away as having to do with what gear you are in too.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 05-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have never had that happen but it is a good thought. When I am off road it seems to take a good long hill to make it do its thing. When I am on the road, I don't think my foot is ever off of the gas pedal that long.

I test drove a manual w/ adventure package on the hill behind the dealer. The hill was only 20 yards long or so, but we idled down in 1st gear, 4-lo locked (foot off the gas) with no engine problems or lights. If this engine stalling is "normal" for the manual H3, I might order the automatic instead.

A lot of H3ers went to Moab last month and posted pix on the board. Did any of them have a 5-spd? Seems like Lion's Back and some of the other obstacles would have triggered this behavior.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm having a hard time with this letter. Have your service department try another five speed and see if it reacts the same. If not, something is wrong with your vehicle. The designers who worked on the H3 product do understand off-road driving, and do understand compression braking, and I can't believe they would allow this to happen.
I have never, in all my years working for a car manufacturer, or working on cars, read a statement that the computer is confused and shuts the engine off. Designed to shut off the motor yes, such as over revving protection, but this does not sound normal.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

only autos on lions and no problems
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is a manual and I've never had rough idle descending in 4low lock. The tcs will come on, but no engine light. I don't know what to tell ya.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Hummer Professional

H3HUMVEE is off the scale

I also have the manual transmission ... I have descended a few hills in low lock with no problems, however nothing near that long.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you mention to then that it could be a possible law siut waiting to happen, they may react differently.
Give them the scenario of you and your ill mother, and 5 children are in the vehicle on a rainy night, going down the side of a hill, trying to get medication(For yourself of Course), and the engine decides to "React accordingly". You lose all braking control, crash, roll, spin, spit, flame, and all die!!!
See what they say then!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC-H0
I think if you mention to then that it could be a possible law siut waiting to happen, they may react differently.
Give them the scenario of you and your ill mother, and 5 children are in the vehicle on a rainy night, going down the side of a hill, trying to get medication(For yourself of Course), and the engine decides to "React accordingly". You lose all braking control, crash, roll, spin, spit, flame, and all die!!!
See what they say then!

From an ex-Owner Product Legal rep, that is a very good point. That is one reason why that message from GM bothered me so much. Stalling vehicles is NOT something GM wants to produce.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Hummer Novice

RIC-HO and f5fstop,
I have already hit Hummer Customer Service with that exact concern with zero reaction from them whatsoever. It is very dissapointing. I don't know where to go from here. I guess my only response is to start the arbitration process.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
RIC-HO and f5fstop,
I have already hit Hummer Customer Service with that exact concern with zero reaction from them whatsoever. It is very dissapointing. I don't know where to go from here. I guess my only response is to start the arbitration process.

All I can say is that is what I would do.