H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck is now in the shop going on its third day. The dealer is having to work with GM on the mainland to try and figure out the problem. I am curious if any of you have run into the following issue and if you have what was the cause.

Over the last week after driving for about an hour or so the tranny would get loud and start to whine. There were no grinding noises at anytime. The tranny heated up to about 200 degrees and at that point it cut out/disengaged or at least that what it seemed. The truck was still running and was in gear but it was almost like it shifted into neutral. I would shift through the gears but it did not make a difference. The engine would revv but the truck would not move. I shut the truck down for a couple of minutes to let it cool off and it would work fine until it heated up again. I called the dealer and they got it in the shop right away.

Is there a sensor or something that would disengage the transmission to prevent further damage once a certain temperature is reached? The service department is dumbfounded by this and have never seen this before. At no point did any service lights come on. The truck only has 17k on it.

If anyone has any insight into this I would love to hear it. Thanks
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Hummer Authority

My truck is now in the shop going on its third day. The dealer is having to work with GM on the mainland to try and figure out the problem. I am curious if any of you have run into the following issue and if you have what was the cause.

Over the last week after driving for about an hour or so the tranny would get loud and start to whine. There were no grinding noises at anytime. The tranny heated up to about 200 degrees and at that point it cut out/disengaged or at least that what it seemed. The truck was still running and was in gear but it was almost like it shifted into neutral. I would shift through the gears but it did not make a difference. The engine would revv but the truck would not move. I shut the truck down for a couple of minutes to let it cool off and it would work fine until it heated up again. I called the dealer and they got it in the shop right away.

Is there a sensor or something that would disengage the transmission to prevent further damage once a certain temperature is reached? The service department is dumbfounded by this and have never seen this before. At no point did any service lights come on. The truck only has 17k on it.

If anyone has any insight into this I would love to hear it. Thanks
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Hummer Authority

In my initial post I forgot to mention that about a month ago the tranny started to whine so I checked the fluid and it was way low. Almost didn't register on the dipstick so I took it in and had them look over the tranny. They flushed the tranny and refilled the fluid. They said it was fine. I have a sneaky suspicion that they only filled the tranny but did no further checks and this is probably follow on problems stemming from this instance. At that point I had only had the truck for about a month. I figured they would have done a complete check of all fluids prior to me picking up the truck. There are no leaks what so ever under the truck that would have caused me to be low on fluids.
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your coolant jug(follow common sense cap removal procedures), make sure the inside doesn't look like a strawberry milkshake. If it does, the dealer should know what to do with it.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Had all the same symptoms you describe only a few more. "strawberry milkshake" (as plano describes) spewing onto the driveway. what happened is the tranny cooler blows into the radiator cros contaminating everything.

This scenario would be easy for you dealer to find though.

Be sure they aren't hiding this condition from you. They may do that because normal GM protocal for this issue is to change the radiator and flush everything. No tranny change unless you get nasty like I did.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

As a cautionary note, try to mark your important parts before taking the truck in for major service. A shot of bright orange spray paint works on the metal. Also, don't be afraid to mark your tires when you take your truck in for rotation.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Also, don't be afraid to mark your tires when you take your truck in for rotation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't that the truth. On my last visit to the dealer I hope I never have to go back to, I asked for a rotate. I picked it up and discovered, because of my markings, that they did the rotate wrong. I told him, you did it wrong. He consulted the tech, they both said they did it right. I showed them the manual page showing the prescribed pattern (I'm still running stock). They still said they did it right. I told them I had marked the tires and could tell what they'd done. They caved (surprise)!!!! I won't go into what ensued.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Hummer Authority

Well here is the latest on the tranny issue. Going on day 4 without the truck. Talked with the dealer last night to see if they have figured it out and surprise they hadn't. They are having a hard time because no codes are coming out from the computer tests and they are baffled. The only thing they could definetly tell me was the tranny is bad but before they replace it GM HQ wants them to try all of these others tests to ensure that if they replace the tranny the problem will be fixed. Then he proceeds to tell me that GM does not like to replace things if they do not have too.

Anyways by the sounds of it I am going to get a new tranny not because I need it but because GM HQ would like have it so they can run tests on it because they have not seen this exact issue before. They told me that I am going to need to hold on til late friday and maybe saturday or possibly into next week because they are waiting on parts to come in so they can run the tests and replace possible bad parts. I am a little irritated about how long it is taking but I just wanted my truck back fixed.
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 01-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Hummer Authority

THE WITHDRAWAL PAINS ARE KILLING ME. Another day without my truck and still no end in sight.
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

F-er's.... been there done that and got the t-shirt ....just wait till you get your Customer service survey.... then you can get some payback
Old 01-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Hummer Authority

I probably made a mistake when I told them to take thier time and just get it fixed right.
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GLBLWARMR:
THE WITHDRAWAL PAINS ARE KILLING ME
I probably made a mistake when I told them to take thier time and just get it fixed right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear you. I took my truck in at the start of the week with a long list of 13 various issues. I suggested they not rush through the issues so that they can get them all fixed right the first time since I don't live real close and can't make it in very frequently. Unless a miracle occurs, there's no way it'll get done before middle of next week.

I miss my H2 dearly I hope they get both of ours done soon.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just wait till you get your Customer service survey.... then you can get some payback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My buddy was a GM mechanic until a few months ago (now jaguar - rover). He was telling me how a less than perfect score on the survey really hurts the dealership. That's why the dealership sometimes sends you little notes almost begging you to give 100% satisfied scores.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Hummer Novice

nikramos is off the scale

My transmission just failed today with only 20k miles on it. I was offroading today with the NorCal Hummer Group at Hollister. The Low 4wd will not switch back to 4Hi even though the light says it is back on 4Hi. Next thing you know the engine just revs with no movement. I had it towed to my dealer even though they were already closed for the night. It is sitting in front of their service entrance next to their new vehicles fully covered in mud. It should be good advertising for the dealer as long as the customers does not find out about the faulty transmission.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nikramos:
My transmission just failed today with only 20k miles on it. I was offroading today with the NorCal Hummer Group at Hollister. The Low 4wd will not switch back to 4Hi even though the light says it is back on 4Hi. Next thing you know the engine just revs with no movement. I had it towed to my dealer even though they were already closed for the night. It is sitting in front of their service entrance next to their new vehicles fully covered in mud. It should be good advertising for the dealer as long as the customers does not find out about the faulty transmission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds more like a transfer case issue.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Transfer case main shaft broken in half. Happened in my 03. About 2 months before the tranny failed.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nikramos:
My transmission just failed today with only 20k miles on it. I was offroading today with the NorCal Hummer Group at Hollister. The Low 4wd will not switch back to 4Hi even though the light says it is back on 4Hi. Next thing you know the engine just revs with no movement. I had it towed to my dealer even though they were already closed for the night. It is sitting in front of their service entrance next to their new vehicles fully covered in mud. It should be good advertising for the dealer as long as the customers does not find out about the faulty transmission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyway you can grab a garden hose and rinse out all the mud before the service advisors see it Monday morning? I know it will seem very odd to be washing your truck at the service entrance but I would be more concern if they try to give you crap about offroading = no warranty
Old 01-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Hummer Novice

nikramos is off the scale

I was also concerned that the dealer will give me a hard time regarding offroading. There was just no way of washing it first since the car will not run. I stopped by this morning and really wanted to drive it to the car wash next door but to no avail.