H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Hummer Novice

darebren is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie quick questions

Wow, it took me too long to figure out the old forums were disabled, and they have been moved here.. anyway here's a few questions remaining that the find function has not answered for me yet... appreciate any help you can offer.

1. there are several H3's at my dealer that have a 2 or 3 inch lift on the front.. all the lift consists of is an extansion bracket for the front shock mounts, and a plate under the springs in the rear. has anyone seen this kind of lift for sale anywhere?

2. did we ever decide what backspacing would work best on a 8.5" wheel? i.e. so the extra size is to the outside, not inside?

3. does anyone know if on the dual DVD headrest players, if they talk to the head unit? i.e. can the head unit pick up their sound and play it over the speakers, fm modulation or direct hookup? also, can both screens watch the same movie without a jumper cable from the output of one to the input of the other?

4. does the factory navigation let you watch the nav map while driving and listen to a music cd? i.e. is there only one disc slot?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Hummer Novice

Default Re: Newbie quick questions

in response to my #1 question above, i found out the dealer has alot of their H3's up on the Truxxx lift kit.. which is basically just a front end levelling kit that adds 2 to 3 inches of lift in the front by extending the shock mounts.. but it does seem to get bigger tires out of the way of the torsion bar. they have most their H3 on 20" or 22" wheels with a decent aggressive tire tread pattern... for me, i'd rather keep 16" wheels and fill it up with a bigger tire..
Old 09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by darebren
3. does anyone know if on the dual DVD headrest players, if they talk to the head unit? i.e. can the head unit pick up their sound and play it over the speakers, fm modulation or direct hookup? also, can both screens watch the same movie without a jumper cable from the output of one to the input of the other?

The factory DVD headrests do have a built in FM modulator, just used it last week. You can either watch different movies on them or the passenger side can select the drivers side as the source and they can be used to watch the same movie. I want to find a spare cable so I can split the A/V signals from the drivers side and feed it to the A/V inputs on my NAV unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darebren
4. does the factory navigation let you watch the nav map while driving and listen to a music cd? i.e. is there only one disc slot?

The H3 NAV system has two slots so you can listen to a CD will using the NAV unlike the H2 system. Never understood WTF they were thinking when they designed it with on slot. I would recommend going with an aftermarket NAV system though. You will get a lot better system and most likely spend a fair amount less.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Hummer Novice

thanks for the info. with respect to aftermarket Nav's, am i better off getting the H3 with the OEM Nav and then swap that out, or get the OEM cd radio.. was just thinking from a wiring, amp, etc standpoint are there any cost/time savers by getting a certain OEM radio installed on day 1 if you know your going to get an aftermarket Nav down the road?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

It really depends on what you want from the system. I would not waste the money on the factory NAV especially if you plan on replacing it with an aftermarket unit. Get the system that best fits your expectation sound wise. For me it was the Monsoon system and anything less would have been replaced within a week but it really depends on what you want out of the system. If you are like me and have never left a factory system in a vehicle then only the Monsoon might cut it and start from there. If the Monsoon isn't enough, get a base system since you are going to turn around and take it out anyway. The aftermarket NAV system will hook up to any of them with the correct wiring harness. Hope that didn't confuse you more.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights