H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

My Wife\'s Hummer is off the scale
Default E&G Painted Fender Flares - Anyone use these

Does anyone have the painted E&G fender flares (shown in picture)? do you know if they are wide enough to keep the side of the humvee w/ off-road package clean?

06' H3 Boulder Grey, Lux, Off-Road, AirRaid CAI, TB Spacer, AVIC-D2
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: E&G Painted Fender Flares - Anyone use these

I dont have them, but from looking at the pictures you will still get mud on the side of your rig. Look at the lower half of the body how it tucks in and tire is exposed. that is going throw mud up the side. Mud flaps are your only option to keeping most of the mud off the side of your rig. If you are running larger tires that stick out past fender you would need the combo of flares and mud flaps to protect you. I hope that makes sense. I confused myself.

Edit: See pic. I circled the area where mud would escape flare and hit body without use of mudflap.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40

Last edited by stagger_lee : 03-07-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

thanks for the thoughts. i agree. i wonder if anyone makes a painted mud flap? i would only consider them on the front.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Pretty much impossible to keep the sides of my H3 clean. I have mud flaps and still get whatevers on the road slapped up on the sides. So I got this bright idea to get these,,, http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000169011 Well they finally showed up on my steps. Opened them up that night and MaMa says "Your going to put garden edgers on your Hummer ? " Arrruggg,,,, Well got the first one all trimmed to fit and mounted on the left front, and yup. Looks like a garden edger slapped on my rig. No matter how I looked , front , back, straight on, it didnt matter. Looked like shart . So now I have a dozen little 1/8 inch holes on the bottom side of my inner fender to enjoy. and a bright idea gone bad. Oh well I can still use them in the garden this spring,, I have called Bushwacker so many times i have there number memorized. Sure would like to see there product on my H3 , but they say ,, no plans for production. Good luck,,,
Old 03-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Steve - SanJose

But mounting the flaps might get a little tricky with the fender flares in place...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsnBars
Pretty much impossible to keep the sides of my H3 clean. I have mud flaps and still get whatevers on the road slapped up on the sides. So I got this bright idea to get these,,, http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000169011 Well they finally showed up on my steps. Opened them up that night and MaMa says "Your going to put garden edgers on your Hummer ? " Arrruggg,,,, Well got the first one all trimmed to fit and mounted on the left front, and yup. Looks like a garden edger slapped on my rig. No matter how I looked , front , back, straight on, it didnt matter. Looked like shart . So now I have a dozen little 1/8 inch holes on the bottom side of my inner fender to enjoy. and a bright idea gone bad. Oh well I can still use them in the garden this spring,, I have called Bushwacker so many times i have there number memorized. Sure would like to see there product on my H3 , but they say ,, no plans for production. Good luck,,,

I cant believe you drilled holes in your fender! That sucks man. I guess you get what you pay for. I'll never use JC whitney again. I got a bunch of screwy stuff from them back in the day for my VW. Better seal those bad boys up!

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Yea I did stagger lee. I used some paintable silicone and filled them and dabs of touch up paint. Looks just about like new again. Pretty hard to notice being the underside lip. Another stupid human trick
Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

The E&G kit comes with, and without the mud flaps. You can get them with mud flaps and they seem to do a good job (search this site, there's pictures) They look tough too.

My problem? I called E&G. They said "We don't sell to the public, you need to call our distributor" and they gave me a phone number in our area (LA, 145 miles from us) I call 'em. They said "We don't sell to the public, you'll have to call our distributor" I'm thinkin' WHAT, AGAIN!? FINALFRICKINLY, I get a guy that'll sell 'em to me. Just under $300 freakin' dollars. That's stupidmoney for a few hunks of molded plastic that probably cost 'em $30 to make. It's been stepped on TWICE.

On to my main point. Say I liked these things enough to buy 'em (I decided that I can just wash the damned H3 about a hundred times for that kind of money) you'd think since they have such a fine and protected distributorship that if I wanted them, they'd have them in stock? Well, you'd be wrong!

It gets stepped on TWICE and they said that they'd have to ORDER them and have them drop shipped to my house. What kind of lame krap is that? I gotta pay two friggin' middlemen to make a phone call that I already made? Nope, just for GP, I ain't supporting that krapola.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

well that price is cheaper than a quick search on the internet brought up. the reason they have to order them is (i believe) E&G make them to order because of the paint color.

i agree, i have some trouble justifying $300 for these things. i like the thing to get nice and muddy when i am off-roading, but it is a pain if i want to take the wife out to a nice dinner and we are all f-ing dirty just from getting in and out of the car. i don't know???

Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

The price I was quoted, $290, was for the gray/black ones that match the bumper color. No paint. I believe in capitalism, but I do not believe in ninnyism. In today's internet market place, it's stupid to have something stepped on twice. If anyone wants to be competitive, getting rid of middlemen is where it's at. E&G could pay a couple of frecklefaced high school kids to pack these things up and sell direct (and therefore sell a HELL of a lot more of them) at half the cost.

We have a truck accessory place in town. A real storefront. The story's the same there. They don't have a damned thing in stock. Again, with today's market place, why should I pay a middle man? Now, if they actually stocked the stuff, I could see it. But all they're doing is ordering it and I have to wait and some of these turds charge shipping too!

I ordered a Stirling 5si trailer through Tractor Supply. They have their game together. The trailer is being shipped in at NO COST. Amazing. A whole galvanized trailer that weighs almost 700lbs and they're not dinging me for shipping. Now that's what a middleman is supposed to be like.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

I spent the $300 for the black ones thinking I was getting a flare similar to what we put on our Jeep CJ's back in the 70's to cover the big Gumbo Mudders. They are nothing similar. These are not flexible as they are made from hard plastic, and instead of being a shell, they actually come in on the bottom with a 2" lip. What I'm trying to explain is, if you're running anything larger than stock tires on your H3, forget it. My 35's rub at the slightest bump in the road. I hit a pretty good sized hump in the Smokies last weekend and damned near knocked the fender extension on the rear door completely off. Luckily, it popped right back in. Needless to say, I removed the flares today and now I'm trying to decide whether I want to try and trim them to make them work. I personally never saw a need for flares with my stock tires, as the factory fenders did their job. So I wonder why they made flares that would basically only fit with stock tires. After researching E & G a little more, I have discovered that they are pretty much in the bling business and probably have no concept of offroad. My guess is, they designed these to cover a set of 20 inch blings with wide low pros.
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

i have the off-road package, so slightly larger tire than the standard, but the stock fenders don't do crap for keeping the sides of the vehicle clean. like someone else already said, i think the main problem is not having a mud flap at the front tires.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

I bit and got some when I first got my H3. I really liked the look. My H3 is white and this outlined the wheel wells nice. I wanted to keep spray from rain and dirt off the vehicle for everyday driving. I took them off roading a few times and did not have much trouble. You will still get some mud flung up on the side but not as much. The big thing was washing all the mud out from under them. I was being careful but now Im really offroading a lot so they are laying in the shop. I would sell mine for $150 including shipping. I will post them in classifieds and try to put up some pictures of the few slight scuff marks on one and one flap has a few nicks in the bottom but overall still nice. They are used not abused ha ha low mileage. You can buy those little push button thinghys at NAPA.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.