H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Elcova Rookie

wch is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 03 H2: Wires whipping in headliner: what to do?

I have an 03 H2. When I get to speeds above 65 mph, the wires in the headliner along the windshield start to whip around. They also might be loose in the A pillar on the passenger side. Even strong head winds will cause the wires to whip.

I am assuming that the wind is entering through the marker lights on top. Not sure what the best way to stop the whipping. The sound is extremely annoying when driving.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you take care of it?

Thanks,

WCH
Old 11-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 03 H2: Wires whipping in headliner: what to do?

Might not be wires, may be the common wind and A pillar trim noise. One of the may write ups about fixing the probelm.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ht=pillar+trim

Easy Ed
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Hummer Professional

working Hummer is off the scale

I agree with Ed, it's not wires, it's the molding around the windshield. I just put a nice bead of black electrical tape up both sides and BAM, no more noise.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Elcova Rookie

Thanks for the heads up. I had to remove that molding to put beads of silicon along the outer edges of the windshield as water was coming in from heavy winds or car washing.

I don't think tape was ever there on the molding. The reason I thought the wires were the cause is that the dealership lowered the headliner to fix the mic once and inspect the moonroof another time.

In the prior posting on the noise, someone mentioned RTV. What is RTV? Is the 3M tape two sided? Or would black silicon, like roofing silicon, work well?

Thanks,

WCH
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road

RTV is like silicone, its just labled RTV used on Gaskets like on valve covers, Oil pan covers etc....

Whatever you use, do a clean job and tape off the areas you dont want a mess on, have some denatured alcohol handy to clean any excess mess up and alot of rags, use Blue tape to mask off, instead of white mask tape, its easier to remove.

You mention Roofing silicon, If your thinking Henrys 77 roofing cement, dont use it! It will heat up in the sun and start running on you.

3M tape is two sided but make sure you get the automotive 3m two sided tape, its alot stickier than other stuff and is usually really thin and black colored, Your H2 logos on the doors are put on with this stuff.

Shoe Goo works too, RTV Sealant works, Silicon clear works,

Last edited by Hucky : 11-12-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Elcova Rookie

Thanks. Will do. Need to do it soon before it gets too cold! The noise is greater when its cold. Hopefully, this will do it!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Elcova Rookie

So, I took the trim off the A pillars. Found tape along the windshield edge but it was double-sided, which was interesting. I removed them both before I realized that the temp to put new double-sided 3M tape must be over 68 degrees. So I put them both back on without any tape.

Here's the kicker, the noise went away for the most part. THere is a little vibration but a hell of lot less than what existed before. Not sure I will put the tape back on. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Saved me from taking down the liner!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wch
So, I took the trim off the A pillars. Found tape along the windshield edge but it was double-sided, which was interesting. I removed them both before I realized that the temp to put new double-sided 3M tape must be over 68 degrees. So I put them both back on without any tape.

Here's the kicker, the noise went away for the most part. THere is a little vibration but a hell of lot less than what existed before. Not sure I will put the tape back on. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Saved me from taking down the liner!

It'll come back... especially if you didn't use tape. When you do redo it, double up on the 3M two sided tape. Use two layers instead of one.

I've done mine 3-4 times... poor design.

Mark
Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Elcova Rookie

Certainly will be curious to know how this winter goes but will definitely put the tape on if the noise returns. Thanks again!