H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I got back late Sat from a roadtrip to WI.
I have done this in the H2 twice and now once in an H3. ...just thought I'd share. Two, people, two dogs 75lbs each, a cat (I hate the cat btw), and clothes, dog food and all of the that good stuff. WAAAAAYYYY more room in the H2.

On the way there it was very windy and avg mpg was 12ish. I have 35's.

VS. the H2 last time (windy trip also) the H2 was more stable in the wind and the V8 was nice to have. The H3 I5 was great not being at the higher altitude. It felt like a rocket. MPG was better in the H2 with 37's. ???

Because of the mpg and small tank, I was having to stop more frequent than i did in the H2. But was nice to park at the Hotel. It was packed at only a couple of "choice" spots left. I fit no problem.

While I was in WI, we got some snow the day before coming back to CO. The H3 seemed to be more stable than the H2 did. I had 37" BFG MT's on the H2 though. The 35" Procomp Extreme AT's on the H3 where great on the snow/ ice. IT was fun driving!

So Sat morning we headed back. I just got out of Iowa and the engine idle started going up and down with the cruise set. WTH? Again, it was windy, so at 75mph, you get into downshifting. Well, the last downshift I was able to do the whole trip! From that point on, any time I pushed in down into the passing gear (didn't matter if it was 35mph, 55mph, or 70mph, it would go straight to the rev limiter and not shift. So, all the way through Nebraska, back to Denver, the engine wa around 4000rpm. SUCK! So, mpg, was less than 9. For those that have driven I80 through NE to Denver with a small tank and bad mpg will understand my frustration with finding gas stations. I was getting 150 miles per tank. (tried to fill up at 1/4 tank or just a little above below).

So, I'm not quite sure what to think about the engine, trans, or PCM issues, but I miss my SUT about now.

Anyhow, I love my H3! It's a great truck and for a mid sized SUV, it handled the trip in comfort. Heated seats = SWEET! Although I am partial to the design of the H2 seats. For room, I could have used a little more, but managed just fine. It just took some careful planning to fit everything in there. i wanted to strap the cat to the roofrack, but Kira would have shot me I think.
MPG should have been better, but I'm next to positive it had something to do with it's current issues.

So, that's my story. I still prefer the H2 for long roaddtrips, but for everyday parking in the city and narrow trails, the H3 wins, Now, I just have to get the truck to the dealer to fix or replace. I need both trucks!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Hummer Guru

I have done this in the H2 twice and now once in an H3. ...just thought I'd share. Two, people, two dogs 75lbs each, a cat (I hate the cat btw), and clothes, dog food and all of the that good stuff. WAAAAAYYYY more room in the H2.

VS. the H2 last time (windy trip also) the H2 was more stable in the wind and the V8 was nice to have. The H3 I5 was great not being at the higher altitude. It felt like a rocket. MPG was better in the H2 with 37's. ???

Because of the mpg and small tank, I was having to stop more frequent than i did in the H2. But was nice to park at the Hotel. It was packed at only a couple of "choice" spots left. I fit no problem.

While I was in WI, we got some snow the day before coming back to CO. The H3 seemed to be more stable than the H2 did. I had 37" BFG MT's on the H2 though. The 35" Procomp Extreme AT's on the H3 where great on the snow/ ice. IT was fun driving!

So Sat morning we headed back. I just got out of Iowa and the engine idle started going up and down with the cruise set. WTH? Again, it was windy, so at 75mph, you get into downshifting. Well, the last downshift I was able to do the whole trip! From that point on, any time I pushed in down into the passing gear (didn't matter if it was 35mph, 55mph, or 70mph, it would go straight to the rev limiter and not shift. So, all the way through Nebraska, back to Denver, the engine wa around 4000rpm. SUCK! So, mpg, was less than 9. For those that have driven I80 through NE to Denver with a small tank and bad mpg will understand my frustration with finding gas stations. I was getting 150 miles per tank. (tried to fill up at 1/4 tank or just a little above below).

So, I'm not quite sure what to think about the engine, trans, or PCM issues, but I miss my SUT about now.

Anyhow, I love my H3! It's a great truck and for a mid sized SUV, it handled the trip in comfort. Heated seats = SWEET! Although I am partial to the design of the H2 seats. For room, I could have used a little more, but managed just fine. It just took some careful planning to fit everything in there. i wanted to strap the cat to the roofrack, but Kira would have shot me I think.
MPG should have been better, but I'm next to positive it had something to do with it's current issues.

So, that's my story. I still prefer the H2 for long roaddtrips, but for everyday parking in the city and narrow trails, the H3 wins, Now, I just have to get the truck to the dealer to fix or replace. I need both trucks!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:21 PM

Pukematrixx is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good story, and I could see the semi frustration.

My buddy and I left Saturday morning at 4am to get up to the snow run in Grayling (usually about 3 hrs, but in an all out blizzard 4-5), got there wheeled all day and were back by 8. 14 straight hours in the car, and I'm with you...LOVE the heated seats.

Usually I'm not one to sit in a car for much longer than 3 hours, though I've always had the euro sedans, this H3 was just fine, I had no problems sitting through the day...
Old 01-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Sounds like that straight 5 was huffin and puffin. Should of lightened the load (meow)just kiddin. Next time your in the area, Let me know,Ill by ya some lunch and we'll swap a couple stories. Thanks again for the info on those Pro-Comps. I really like them,,,work great in snow!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
2 > 3. That is all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it, next trip, I'm letting Bodie go PEE on Fred.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

6600 mile round trip in the H2 was great last year. Can't wait to do it again, but my mileage is going to SUCK this time.

Glad you, Kira and the furballs are home sofe.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
2 > 3. That is all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it, next trip, I'm letting Bodie go PEE on Fred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pea-Pie will watch.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
...but my mileage is going to SUCK this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't be too bad this time since you won't be carrying back an extra TC

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 01-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 > 3. That is all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better be at twice the cost eh? Twice as good? 30k will buy a LOT of gasoline!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Huck BB62:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 > 3. That is all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better be at twice the cost eh? Twice as good? 30k will buy a LOT of gasoline! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That goes quickly heading from the East Coast to Moab, Utah and back at least once a year. Not to mention 9 hours each way to Tellico and 6 hours each way to Paragon.

It's fun wheeling all over, huh?

Could you tow us please.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Hummer Messiah

BTW, if you were trying to be a smart ass, most of us don't worry about the mileage.

If you were being funny and forgot the "smiley", well, whatever.