H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

One idea. It's the same system as the dealer will sell/install for $1300.00. Install is a breeze as you can see.

Click Here

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 04-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Hummer Guru

One idea. It's the same system as the dealer will sell/install for $1300.00. Install is a breeze as you can see.

Click Here

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 04-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I added the 9.5Ti with multi-mount and roller fairlead for $1065 installed (front hitch only). Had is done at Four-to-Go in Wheat Ridge. Take off $100 if you wanted the 9500i or $150 with the 9000i.

One note - When you drill the vertical hole in the multi-mount, don't line it up with pre-existing horizontal hole for two reasons. (1) To maintain the strength of the receiver, and (2) The standard setting makes the winch stick out too far. You'll want to make the inset depth deeper (2-3 inches) so that you can bring it a little closer to the vehicle.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks for the tips, guys. I wouldn't need to drill on account of the modified extender I have, but would anyway to keep it closer to the vehicle, and hopefully still fit in the garage. It's close now due to the spare carrier and a workbench in the front of my garage.

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 04-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Alec,

I called the local store for the company whose link I provided in this post. They will honor the online price in the store and have 2 in stock. I'm seriously considering doing it this week. Let me know.

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 04-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Hummer Messiah

Adam,
Why are you using an extender?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Hummer Guru

I've never used it, actually. It was in the truck, and had the holes drilled properly to accomodate anything you'd stick in the front receiver. It basicalled turned the holes horizontal from vertical is all.

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 PM

Tiger Bait is off the scale

I talked to the dealer about the extender and they said that it state in the owners manual not to use it for trailering or winching. I haven't checke d themanual myself, but they were pretty adamant about it.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CO Hummer:
I added the 9.5Ti with multi-mount and roller fairlead for $1065 installed (front hitch only). Had is done at Four-to-Go in Wheat Ridge. Take off $100 if you wanted the 9500i or $150 with the 9000i.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Help... For someone new to offroading & winches, what are the differences between the Warn 9500Ti, 9500Si, and 9000i? What function does the optional roller fairlead perform? Will all three models connect via the front & rear H2 receivers? Isn't wiring them fairly simple?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 AM

Tiger Bait is off the scale

The main number 9500 or 9000 has to do with the pulling capacity 9000 is 9000#. The receiver hitch models are special packages called multimount. You can put any of the ones mentioned on a multi-mount which will slide into the hitch receiver front and rear. The prepackaged one that is available at Hummer dealers includes the wiring for the front hitch mount. The rear is an option. Yes it is only postive and negative wires, but they must attach to the power block near the battery. The rear lead has to be fished through the frame to engine compartment. I got the prepackaged Hummer one (comes with an H2 decal)
with the wiring done for the rear also. $1000 for the package installed for the front an extra $100 for the rear hookup installed. I talked to several "off road experts" and they didn't recommend going higher than the 9000i (Warn also makes an 8000i both packaged as multi mounts) The Hummer package comes with the multi mount reciever post predrilled for a vertical hitch pin placement, (also comes with the hitch pin lock with keys)the basic Warn packages you have to get the verticle pin hole drilled yourself. As far as i vs. Ti or Si, check the Warn site.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Hummer Messiah

The main difference with the "Ti" is that it has a temperature sensor which alerts the user when the winch temperature gets too hot. It's not a bad idea since the H2 is such a heavy vehicle. It also looks a little nicer (smoother) and has better weather-resistant seals. After looking at all of them, I thought that the 9.5Ti had some great extra features for only a marginal increase in price. Regarding the comment about 9000lbs vs 9500lbs..I don't think the 500lbs difference is worth worrying about. All three winches have the same motor - they are just geared differently in the newer models, yeilding 9500lb capacity.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Is the Warn MOSFET (9.5si) worth whatever it costs? Haven't found a price for it yet.

Why not go with an even more powerful winch, say a 12 or even 15 thousand pounder? The cost is about a $100 more for each step up... so it must not be the cost?

I saw that the M12000 weighs 136 pounds and the 9.5to weighs 89 pounds - 53% more weight. Maybe that's the reason? The physical size isn't so much larger, but maybe the multimount doesn't fit the larger winches?

I think I am going to choose the 9.5ti, but was just wondering out loud...

Thanks. Ed
Old 04-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Hummer Guru

I think the weight of the 12000 or 15000 is too much for the multi mount basket, as well as too much for self-recovery to be easy.

CO H2 Club Rocks!
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 04-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

I tend to suffer from the Tim Allen "More Power Is Better Syndrome" and have discovered the hard way that this motto is often wrong... I think that what I need to do is get some books on 4-wheeling and read several magazines on the sport, before I start investing in equipment. I can see it now, getting four people to help me mount that 15000 pound winch on my H2 and jerking the receiver off the frontend...

THANKS for the info!

Ed
Old 04-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I can see it now, getting four people to help me mount that 15000 pound winch on my H2 and jerking the receiver off the frontend...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or worse pulling the giant redwood over
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why not go with an even more powerful winch, say a 12 or even 15 thousand pounder? The cost is about a $100 more for each step up... so it must not be the cost?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carefull pulling too hard on your reciever mount. This is what my rear receiver looks like after I pulled too hard on it. I did this with a 8000# Warn and a double line through a snatch block trying to pull a dead stump out of the ground.

Don
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2003, 01:46 AM
Hummer Professional

Here's the other side,notice how the weld tore out of the crossmember where the receiver joins it.

Time to build a stronger crossmember that will withstand the strain of heavy winching.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2003, 02:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummie2:
Here's the other side,notice how the weld tore out of the crossmember where the receiver joins it.

Time to build a stronger crossmember that will withstand the strain of heavy winching.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! Since the front receiver is about one third as strong as the rear, it goes without saying that winching can put damaging stresses on the equipment...

Thanks for the pictures!

Are you going to replace that damaged hitch with a Class V hitch now?

Ed
Old 04-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are you going to replace that damaged hitch with a Class V hitch now?

Ed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if any aftermarket receiver hitches are available for the H2 yet. I did a search, but didn't find any listed for it. Let me know if you know of any.

I will probably end up and build something heavier and stronger than what came stock on the hummer.

Don