H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
Klaus, you could try a nice Steak Tartar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thanks... I demand well done. Just a side effect of where I work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
It wouldn't have been so bad if I had it done when I was originally told to, about 20 yrs ago.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my problem as well.

BTW - I heard a good saying about sympathy (from a Vet from WWII):

"Do you know where you find sympathy? You find sympathy in the dictionary between **** and syphilis."
Old 03-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

hognose is off the scale

All right h2finally, this subject is near and dear to my heart.

Here is the recipe for the best tasting steak I have ever made. You'd probably want to combine ingredients from the items below rather than purchasing the pre-made product but give it a taste.

Marinate Filet for at least 4 hrs in house of tsang teriyaki sauce (yes - use this brand specifically!). Grill appropriately then lightly season steak with Johnny’s seasoning after meat is approx 80% cooked. Finish grill steak as desired (though anything beyond medium is an affront to the gods of steak).

I am only going to tell you this idea because I have no plans to use it (but if it makes you filthy rich...hook me up...;-)....now here it is....sell a steak sampler. As a connoisseur of fine steak I would absolutely love to order a sampler of each steak on the menu. Also, rather than having a set marinade offer a marinade menu which can be applied to each of several different cuts of steak. This would encourage people to return and try each of the marinades with their favorite cut and perhaps also delve into different cuts with their fav marinade. This marinade/steak menu could then also make up your sample platter. You could charge a premium and rather than just a meal the patron would be getting an "experience" much like the beer sample platters available at microbreweries. This may be best for a true steakhouse but I think you could make your biz stand out if able to successfully implement.

Good luck with the new venture, and remember to hook me up! ;-)

Chris
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris, that's a REALLY GREAT IDEA!!

Honestly, this is the truth: when we were testing recipes, and had many different flavored steaks going, I (half-jokingly) told my lovely wife that we should serve the very plate we were working with, which had a variety of small cuts/flavors!!

But the way you put it was very succint and entirely clarified the idea!! THANKS AGAIN!! Come visit when you're in SoCal, and let me buy you dinner!!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:47 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a great idea. Watch out for waste and consistancy. As you know, marinades require different setting times so planning is important. Your food cost will go up with this type of item.

Now if you could get it pre-marinated and frozen...
Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 AM

CRUZMISL is off the scale

Very few will pay Kobe prices, if any. Also for you to make any money your steak would have to be $75, it will cost you $30. I love Kobe but many don't because it does have a significant amount more intramuscular fat.

Searing does absolutely nothing to keep juices inside the meat. The browning or "the Maillard reaction" does give great flavor due to carmelization. Also letting the meat rest is important after cooking.

Salting prior to coooking also does NOT pull moisture out of the meat. It does pull specific proteins to the surface (can't remember the name) and will help in browning. Use kosher salt and salt about 20 minutes prior to cooking.

Lastly, stay away from marinades and or heavy spice rubs. You want the quality of the meat to shine.

Joe
Old 03-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Joseph Muha is off the scale

At our restaurant - It is definately the Al and Jen's Fillet (PRIME - Yes, it does make a difference) with sauteed onions and Maytag Bleu Cheese (yes, it too makes a difference). MEDIUM RARE. At home, I do my best to duplicate it, but that Montigue oven is such a key componant in the process...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CRUZMISL:
Very few will pay Kobe prices, if any. Also for you to make any money your steak would have to be $75, it will cost you $30. I love Kobe but many don't because it does have a significant amount more intramuscular fat.

Searing does absolutely nothing to keep juices inside the meat. The browning or "the Maillard reaction" does give great flavor due to carmelization. Also letting the meat rest is important after cooking.

Salting prior to coooking also does NOT pull moisture out of the meat. It does pull specific proteins to the surface (can't remember the name) and will help in browning. Use kosher salt and salt about 20 minutes prior to cooking.

Lastly, stay away from marinades and or heavy spice rubs. You want the quality of the meat to shine.

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I just love it when some yoohoo posts information that contradicts what many others have said just to appear like he knows something. Joe, you are dumb. You deserve to be beaten up on because you could have done a little more research and posted here in a way as to not either a) call the other posters stupid or b) call them liars. That's exactly what you did with your post.

Searing is what it is called. In the US we do not use some Frenchie's name just because he wrote the chemical reaction explaining the searing that has been done for centuries. And yes searing DOES indeed seal in the juices, you said so yourself and didn't know it. Remember, you can't believe everything you read on the internet or from a book by Harold McGee. The carmelization process creates a barrier that slows the evaporative process that would naturally occur when cooking meat slower at a lower temperature. I guess the millions of people who grill meat every week are too dumb to know whether or not this is the case. Just like anything else, some chefs go to some French cooking school and are told that searing will not seal in all of the juices, it then becomes that "searing does absolutely nothing to keep juices inside the meat." Notice before that I said that it slows the process, and it indeed does and is a fact not a theory.

Secondly, it is quite dumb to say that "Salting prior to coooking also does NOT pull moisture out of the meat" as salt is the active item used to do just that in many moisture removal processes. Now some chefs will salt rub a cut of meat to remove moisture from the outer layer of the meat and effectively create a different searing which creates a different taste. With some moisture removed the searing process reacts differently. You were taught that main by-product of "the Maillard reaction" is water vapor, right? Why would you suggest to use Kosher salt? The reason one would use Kosher salt is that it is bigger crystals and absorb more moisture, but your comment is that it doesn't absorb moisture.

And, all the chefs theorize that you let the meat rest BEFORE you cook, not after you cook it. You serve the meat as soon as you can after cooking so that the eater might open up the meat and stop the continued cooking process. If you want to talk Kobe (it's true name is Tajima) beef, I'll be more than happy to set you straight on that too.

You could have moved along and not commented in this thread, but instead you decided to go against the grain (pun intended) and use some little known theories by others that just have to have a different answer from the rest of the world.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Hummer Messiah

For my b-day the wife tried to find me a place with Kobe. None around here. She then called some former associates in the rest. biz to see if they could get it. They could, but would have to order half the cow for us. Oh well. Next time we're in a larger metropolitan area she knows what we are getting one night.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is sacraligious. 2 weeks I had a Kobe beef burger with foile gras and carmelized onions on top with a side of truffle oil a herb french fries. Damn Good
Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 AM

CRUZMISL is off the scale

Paragon, I know what searing is....

The kosher salt brings water soluble proteins to the surface and enhances carmelization. I suggest using kosher salt because the flakes are larger and easier to control. Oversalting can be a problem with table salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The carmelization process creates a barrier that slows the evaporative process that would naturally occur when cooking meat slower at a lower temperature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're talking steaks here not a roast and steaks are cooked over high heat not low and slow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And, all the chefs theorize that you let the meat rest BEFORE you cook, not after you cook it. You serve the meat as soon as you can after cooking so that the eater might open up the meat and stop the continued cooking process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really hope you don't dive into a steak right after removing it from the heat. You'll have a nice dry steak and a pool of juice on your plate. As for carry over heat you need to adjust that according to the size of your steak and compensate accordingly.

Kobe steak in the US is not true Kobe steak but a version of Kobe steak using the same Wagyu cattle imported from Japan that is raised and bred in the US. True Kobe steak is illegal in the US.

I don't claim to be an expert and never called anyone an idiot. I was just giving my opinion.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CRUZMISL:
Paragon, I know what searing is....

The kosher salt brings water soluble proteins to the surface and enhances carmelization. <span class="ev_code_RED">Proteins are not involved in caramelization only carbohydrates. And no, salt reduces the moisture content which make the searing different. It doesn't make it browner, the only thing that would make it browner would be sugars (carbs)</span>
I suggest using kosher salt because the flakes are larger and easier to control. Oversalting can be a problem with table salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The carmelization process creates a barrier that slows the evaporative process that would naturally occur when cooking meat slower at a lower temperature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're talking steaks here not a roast and steaks are cooked over high heat not low and slow. <span class="ev_code_RED">Your teachers referred to you as slow a lot, didn't they. Caramelization is the byproduct of searing and you obviously do not have searing if you cooked lower and slower. Therefor, the caramelization from the searing creates the barrier that reduces moisture removal from the meat, period. I am distinctly sorry that you could not tell that sentence was a comparison of the advantage to searing.</span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And, all the chefs theorize that you let the meat rest BEFORE you cook, not after you cook it. You serve the meat as soon as you can after cooking so that the eater might open up the meat and stop the continued cooking process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really hope you don't dive into a steak right after removing it from the heat. <span class="ev_code_RED">That's exactly what I and many people do and want to do. I want to discontinue the cooking process, sorry you miss the entire concept.</span> You'll have a nice dry steak and a pool of juice on your plate. <span class="ev_code_RED">See, this comment infers than I am lying, because I in fact do not have a dry steak and the juices on my plate are a positive thing.</span> As for carry over heat you need to adjust that according to the size of your steak and compensate accordingly.<span class="ev_code_RED">This is just getting dumb and not worth arguing about. I can't even believe I am responding to this last idiotic post on the subject.</span>

Kobe steak in the US is not true Kobe steak but a version of Kobe steak using the same Wagyu cattle imported from Japan that is raised and bred in the US. True Kobe steak is illegal in the US.<span class="ev_code_RED">First it's cattle from the same Black Wagyu herds and is handled the same way (massaging and all of that stupid crap). Secondly, double check on the legality. You can order Kobe for about $140 (give or take) per pound with the ones grown in California costing about half that. I believe the ban was lifted months ago.</span>

I don't claim to be an expert and never called anyone an idiot. I was just giving my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_RED">No, you told others they were wrong about searing proces among other things. That's not providing an opinion. There are ways to display ones opinion without completely discrediting those that have posted before you, without throwing logic to the wind and without sounding like a pompous ass. I simply posted in the same agressive manner with which you did. Personally I don't understand the favor with Kobe. I don't believe in liking something because it is exclusive and your to. I'll take Black Angus any day.</span>
Old 03-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay! Let's rename the post "Steak School".

My mouth is ssssttaarrttinngg to waaaattteerrr. Is that restaurant open yet?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

hognose is off the scale

H2finally,
I may just take you up on that offer one day!

BTW, I forgot another critical ingredient. Immediately after adding the Johnny's seasoning add bacon bits, cook for a few more minutes, flip, then add bacon bits to the other side, cook until done, let sit for a couple minutes, then serve. BTW, use real bacon bits. In my opinion this gives an even better flavor than a bacon wrapped filet. Works well for NY strip and porterhouse as well.

Again, good luck with the new venture!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hognose, I've gotta try that recipe asap. H2Rocks is right, my mouth is watering!!

On a related note, we tried to get the West Hollywood designer of Tao New York to spent a few minutes giving his opinion on decor of my new place. But he was too swamped with the design of the 42,000 sqft Tao Las Vegas to bother with my tiny place (even though we agreed with his $10K fees)... So if you do stop-by, please be gentle on your comments of the decor, will ya?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Hummer Messiah

Ok, here is another one and it is so simple and very popular here. Also, it is what I call "Stupid Proof". (For those of you in the rest. biz, you know what I mean.)

Blackened Steak with blue cheese or just a Black-N-Blue. Do just what it is called, blacken the steak and just before pulling it add fresh crumbled blue cheese so it melts on the way to the table. Add grilled vegies or mashed potatoes and you are set. So simple.

It is a staple for these guys that are going to make it big. Vivo and Atlas have the design features you see in national chains and Chick's is great for pulling your boat up to night or day.
http://www.insidebiz.com/output.cfm?ID=3536187

Seriously, it is a good product.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:28 AM
Hummer Messiah

H2F, these guys used a name very familiar to rest. owners. He did MJ's Chicago place as an example.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

H, I of course have no idea of your location (demographics and all) but it sounds like if you go the route of using some of these ideas you could have a "designer steak" menu. If one goes to a steak place, one expects a steak without any dressings. But if you had fixed recipies of "designer steaks" or some variant of that idea, you could generate your own buzz with that.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Ok, here is another one and it is so simple and very popular here. Also, it is what I call "Stupid Proof". (For those of you in the rest. biz, you know what I mean.)

Blackened Steak with blue cheese or just a Black-N-Blue. Do just what it is called, blacken the steak and just before pulling it add fresh crumbled blue cheese so it melts on the way to the table. Add grilled vegies or mashed potatoes and you are set. So simple.

It is a staple for these guys that are going to make it big. Vivo and Atlas have the design features you see in national chains and Chick's is great for pulling your boat up to night or day.
http://www.insidebiz.com/output.cfm?ID=3536187

Seriously, it is a good product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my favourite - use English Stilton though - its is the best cheese to have with steak by far - in my opinion anyway.
I used to buy a whole stilton and feed it with a cup of port (core out a well in the middle of the stilton to pour the port into) a day for a month. Trust me - port fed Stilton and steak cannot be beaten.

Of course the problem is we cant buy whole Stiltons over here - buggar.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

Good luck with the new restraunt! Just a thought how about a juicy hamburger with hoser salt on it seared/sealed whatever? With a dash of gold bond sprinkled on it? anyone?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:55 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dug3x3:
Just a thought how about a juicy hamburger with hoser salt on it seared/sealed whatever? With a dash of gold bond sprinkled on it? anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
BLEAAAAK!!!