H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM

erick vargas is off the scale

I just wanted to share what happened to me on 8/12. While driving on the freeway at about 75mph the stability control took over and slammed my breaks on. I fish tailed and the truck went to the right. Thank God I did not hit the breaks or turn the steering wheel. I remained calm and gained control of the truck. I pulled over and On Star was helpful in getting me a tow truck. I will let everyone know what the cause was when I get feedback from Hummer. I am hoping this is not a recall issue.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM

I just wanted to share what happened to me on 8/12. While driving on the freeway at about 75mph the stability control took over and slammed my breaks on. I fish tailed and the truck went to the right. Thank God I did not hit the breaks or turn the steering wheel. I remained calm and gained control of the truck. I pulled over and On Star was helpful in getting me a tow truck. I will let everyone know what the cause was when I get feedback from Hummer. I am hoping this is not a recall issue.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:47 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

I was curious about this post so I called an engineer at GM my son knows. He said this is impossible. Becuase of the safeguards in place, this cannot happen.

Sorry it if happened, but very very hard to believe.
What dealer are you dealing with?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I have to agree. That doesn't sound right. I've seen weirder things happen but if I had to guess I would say we're not getting the full story.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:18 PM

H3OH is off the scale

Dealer response...

"Don't drive over 74 mph."

Sorry that happened. I would have **** my shorts and gotten my pretty leather all dirty.

Hope you get things fixed and that it's not a common problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

AFAIK, on most cars stability programs do not control the brakes, but simply don't allow you to accelerate your car.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:31 PM

I find out the results today. It was not a pleasant moment considering my pregnant wife of 6months was in the hummer with me. they are trying to figure out if it was the abs or stability control. nothing is impossible. when you buy new vehicles when they first come out you never know what can happen. i hope they fix the problem cuz i dont want to give up my hummer. You guys are getting the full story. this is not something to play around with. i just got my hummer 5 days ago and having a pregnant wife in the car you are careful.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 PM

GOOD NEWS IT WAS THE SPEED SENSOR!!! the dealership called me up and said it was not the stability control but the speed sensor. i hope this is the end to my problems. thank you.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 PM

H3OH is off the scale

The speed sensor? Was it telling you that you were going too fast?

only kidding. I know how it is with the pregnant wife. I was just there, and now am good with having a baby on board! He loves the H3! And after seeing the wrecked one in another post, I feel safe that the car can take a beating and the rest be intact.

Let us know how it works out, and what is the cause of it.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM

the feedback that i got it isthathe sensor somehow reads all the tires. for some odd reason it read that one of my tires was off speed and locked it up. that caused the breaking and in turn caused my hummer to fish tail. the abs is what saved me from rolling it. the dealer drove the h3 and it locked up on them. they determined it was a faulty speed sensor and our replacing it. hope this is it!!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:17 PM

tacocat is off the scale

A faulty speed sensor will lock up the brakes? This sounds strange. There should be a safety overide that would prevent this.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:28 PM

a faulty speed sensor in this case locked up a tire. imagine this at any speed happening. my vechicle is being fixed in san rafael calif. the service guys even said it was strange until they test rode the h3 themselves. just a heads up. i hope this is not an on going thing
Old 08-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

The ABS will not apply the brakes if your foot is off of the brake, but the stability system could have done that. It is unusual that it happened this way, but apparently the sensor read that one wheel started going much faster, so the stability system applied the brake on that wheel, but the signal didn't change so it tried to apply that brake even harder. I'm sure Hummer will be all over this to try to keep this problem from happening to other trucks.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:33 PM

tacocat is off the scale

Is this the same stability system associated with the auto-tranny?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:41 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

Anthing serious must be reported to a cetain department at GM for investigation. An incident that involves a vehicle at this speed is considered RED. I will find out from my son about this as I emailed this link.

I will find out something, but as I said, he said this would not happen at that speed.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 PM

thanks for finding out. but it was all confirmed by the hummer dealership that it did happen. one of their guys took the truck for a test and it did it to him. let me know what you find out.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by erick vargas:
one of their guys took the truck for a test and it did it to him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you must be lucky, that never happens

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit as an old fart, I take what I read online very skeptically and cynically. I've been driving in the middle of the nowhere with the s-track sytem on, but as a former test pilot, I know anti-skid aircraft sytems had their teething problems 40 years ago.
They are fail-safe programmed now to ignore obvious false inputs from speed and acceleration sender inputs, as I would bet the s-track system is. I would like to call the dealer in San Rafael you took your H3 too and get their input - - what is the name of the dealership? ty
Old 08-17-2005, 02:35 PM

I took my hummer to Park Royal the number is 415-460-2000. the service guy on my Hummer is named Omar. his direct number is 415-747-7060.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:25 PM

picking up my baby today. Crossing my fingers all went well with the repair! I will let all you know the outcome.