H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Okay, wife called and told me when she started the truck this morning, the speedometer needle jumped to 60 mph when the truck wasn't even moving. And once she started moving, the needle starts from 60 on. I told her to restart the truck hoping it will reset something but now its starting at 40.

I searched the forum and found some people have their instrument panel cluster replaced because the whole thing went dead. But in my case, only the speedometer needle is wacky. Do I need the whole IPC replaced also? Or does the H2 still uses some sort of speedometer cable? Either way, any idea how much for an IPC replacement at the dealer?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

That happened to my first H2. It stuck at around 50mph and than a day later was stuck at zero. The whole cluster was replaced.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

anwhere from $300-$500 from dealer. Yes the cluster needs to be replaced.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Alec W:
Since the problem has been reported by a woman you should verify before calling the dealer

X2
Old 03-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Just called the dealer and was quoted $650 Plus tax and at least 2 days of rental (2 days because they don't stock this part and they want me to bring it in to make sure it is the IPC, if so, they'll have it overnight and it'll be ready the next day).. I am looking at $750-$800 total

So, Planohummer, can you please tell me where can I can it for $300? Anybody has the GM part # for this? I just browse online and found many aftermarket ones (different color gauges) for close to $500.

Another question, if I go ahead change it myself, and the odometer will reset back to 0, right? How will this affect my resale value because this will make my true mileage unknown, right?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Take it in to your dealer and they can retrieve the part# with the tech 2 about 5 min work. They will need the current milage and they can then order your cluster. Typical charge for cluster replacement is 0.5 hrs plus diagnosis which they will likely ding you an additional 0.5 total 1.0 hrs, that includes scanning and ordering parts. 385.00 canadian at out dealer for the parts and 102.00 labor thats 487.00can. when they have the scan tool hooked up they can do a gauge sweep that takes about 20 seconds to verify speedo is sticky. May want to inquire about a goodwill warranty repair if your not too far out of warranty as gm has had a ton of issues with bad clusters on all product lines.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

my cluster went bad tonight! My needle doesn't even move!! RPM's and everything is is fine. Milege is still running.... but, not speedo!!! booooooo
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by wilfred:
Just called the dealer and was quoted $650 Plus tax and at least 2 days of rental (2 days because they don't stock this part and they want me to bring it in to make sure it is the IPC, if so, they'll have it overnight and it'll be ready the next day).. I am looking at $750-$800 total

So, Planohummer, can you please tell me where can I can it for $300? Anybody has the GM part # for this? I just browse online and found many aftermarket ones (different color gauges) for close to $500.

Another question, if I go ahead change it myself, and the odometer will reset back to 0, right? How will this affect my resale value because this will make my true mileage unknown, right?

Ask the dealer how much to exchange your cluster(not replace it with new). You should be looking about $300 with you taking it to them and getting it exchanged for you(they'll send it out to a GM reman center). 2 days turnaround is about right. If you don't have another vehicle, I guess you'll need to rent one(your alternator won't charge the battery without the cluster in place)
Simply replacing your cluster with another one with different miles is a federal crime unless you disclose it. You can get one of those 'odometer replaced' stickers to put in your door jamb, but that looks like carp.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by MovinH2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
Since the problem has been reported by a woman you should verify before calling the dealer

X2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>