H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale
Default Battery

WTF! Has anyone else put the key in the ignition have the starter turn over once then stop with nothing but clicking coming from the under the dash? Then remove the key and have the clicking continue? Quickly open the hood to disconnect the battery thinking that perhaps the computer will reset or at the least you will prevent somthing from burning up by removing the cable? To then put the wrench on the positive terminal and have it come away from the battery having had no real force applied to it? all the while leaking Acid into the battery tray and all over the quarter of the engine bay? Well it just happened to me ...... I'm at a loss for words? I tried a battery search with the finder here and found links with regard to upgrades but nothing like this. Just curious......
Old 07-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_sailor
WTF! Has anyone else put the key in the ignition have the starter turn over once then stop with nothing but clicking coming from the under the dash? Then remove the key and have the clicking continue? Quickly open the hood to disconnect the battery thinking that perhaps the computer will reset or at the least you will prevent somthing from burning up by removing the cable? To then put the wrench on the positive terminal and have it come away from the battery having had no real force applied to it? all the while leaking Acid into the battery tray and all over the quarter of the engine bay? Well it just happened to me ...... I'm at a loss for words? I tried a battery search with the finder here and found links with regard to upgrades but nothing like this. Just curious......
There's a bulletin for ingition switches that are misindexed. If yours is, it's possible to pull the key out with the ignition switch circuit engaged. This would allow a faster than normal drain of your battery when the vehicle is parked. A battery drained this way could explain a clicking starter.

I wonder if there's a related problem that allows the starter circuit to remain engaged without the key in. How? I don't know, I can only imagine how the ignition switch works since I've never seen one. Then the clicking will continue with the key out.

Here's the bulletin.

Hmmm. After re-reading it, it doesn't really sound like the problem described could be responsible for the crank circuit remaining open, but that's what sounds like happened. If you can jiggle the switch around to get it to stop, then jump start it and take it to the dealer ASAP. Otherwise, it sounds like a tow/flatbed to a dealer might be needed.
Diagnostic Information for Intermittent Vehicle No Crank/Dead Battery #04-06-03-002 - (Feb 5, 2004)

Important: The Information contained on this DVD is dated October 7, 2005. Please visit your approved GM internet portal for the latest published Service Bulletins, Campaigns and Preliminary Information.

Diagnostic Information for Intermittent Vehicle No Crank/Dead Battery 2004 Buick Rainier
2000-2004 Cadillac Escalade
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1998-2004 Chevrolet Blazer, S-10 Pickup
1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2003-2004 Chevrolet Express
1998-2004 GMC Jimmy/Envoy, Sonoma
1999-2004 GMC Sierra
2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2002-2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL
2003-2004 GMC Savana
2004 GMC Envoy XUV
1998-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2004 HUMMER H2
When diagnosing a concern regarding an intermittent vehicle no crank or dead battery, technicians should remove and reinstall the ignition switch using the Ignition Switch Replacement procedure in the Steering Wheel and Column section of SI. The ignition switch may have been misindexed in the steering column during a previous replacement .
If the ignition switch is misindexed in one direction, the ignition switch circuits will not be completely open when the ignition switch is in the OFF position with the key removed. This may result in lights remaining on or instrument panel lights illuminating, which will drain the battery. If the ignition switch is misindexed in the opposite direction, the ignition circuits will open correctly but the ignition switch may not close the crank circuit properly when the ignition key is turned to the crank position. This will result in a no crank concern.

Last edited by ree : 07-21-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose the ignition relay could have stuck closed when you tried starting it. I think this'll prevent the truck from running but allow it to crank. I don't know if the cranking would continue on its own with the key out though.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Elcova Newbie

Bob Van Guilder is on a distinguished road

Had this happen to me on my 2003 about a year ago at 45000 miles. Delco batteries are defective resulting dead battery indication when you try to start. When you try tightening the positive terminal it comes right out of the battery. Dealer towed me, replaced battery and cable at no charge.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Do H2s use side post batteries? (Too lazy to go look on the GM site. ) My suggestion for anyone with a side post battery, try and get the dealer to replace the battery and cable under warranty. Then drive to the nearest PEP boys and purchase an Optima battery and replace the new battery the minute you get home.
Give the new dealer supplied battery to someone less fortunate who needs a good battery, just remind them to keep a close eye on it.
I personally, have no faith in side post Delco batteries unless it is the AGM (absorbent glass mat), which cannot leak.