H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-30-2003, 12:38 AM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Is your sway bar being rubbed by your front right tire? Mine is and a whole lotta folks at our last Hummer gettogether this saturday all had them.

Service folks have replaced the bars to no avail...has this been discussed here yet?

Here is a picture of one....

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:38 AM

Is your sway bar being rubbed by your front right tire? Mine is and a whole lotta folks at our last Hummer gettogether this saturday all had them.

Service folks have replaced the bars to no avail...has this been discussed here yet?

Here is a picture of one....

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:51 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

Amy, No rubbage yet but thanks Ill keep an eye out
Old 09-30-2003, 12:54 AM

There's really no harm in this...bc it seems as this is only occuring when turning tight turns...

am going up to the 37" tires next time I am due for new tires. Any problems with the 37"???
I have been away for so long and new that some of your guys and gals had put them on your rigs....and I was wanting some feedback...

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:34 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hummergirl,

If you are going off road I REALLY don't recommend putting 37" tires on your rig. The H2 simply is not set up for that and you WILL break something. There is no better deal for the trail than the stock tires you have. If you are just going for a look than go for it but know that one day you might get the itch to hit the trail and I think that would be a mistake with the bigger tires.

I asked many people about this (including 3 dealers)who said to absolutely stick with the stock tires because they have numerous trucks coming in for repairs because they can't handle the mods.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:57 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

What a load. I've got 37" MTRs and stock wheels on mine and I've got the same rub marks. I off-road quite a bit and have seen full articulation and haven't touched the inside of the wheelwells.
I have yet to see any problems even remotely related to the slightly bigger tires.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

If only BF-Goodrich would make a 36" tire with a slightly more aggressive tread and a bit more width.....

But why cater to thousands and thousands of truck owners who'll be burning through tires and need replacements soon enough. Nah...that would make way too much sense!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I'm running 37" MTRs and I don't rub the sway bars or anywhere else. Just came back from the Rubicon and the extra height made a huge difference in the rocks. I bought aftermarket rims with a 4.5 inches backspace, and that gives me more clearance away from the sway bars.

03 H2 Sunset Orange Polished Magna Charger w headers & cold air intake, 37" MTRs w Weld Mountain Crushers, GPS Nav. & 2 rear LCD TVs w DVD, Extreme Tube steps
Old 09-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Whew!!! - Glad I'm not the only one
Funny that it only happens on the right side.

I can turn lock to lock sitting still in the driveway and it does not touch, but in motion (1 to 3mph) I guess the g's cause it to lean just enough to touch.

Amy, I thought mine was due to my 37" MTR's, your pic looks like the stock 35, is it??

John
Old 09-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

BTW - - I've been very happy with the 37"'s
Old 09-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Buckeye Hummer:
There is no better deal for the trail than the stock tires you have.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for $50 each what do u expect.

My dealer is selling BFG mall terrains for $50, just got 2 for trailer.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Hummer Expert

GM spent lots of money on the development of the H2 and chose 35's, not 37's. Yes, the 37's look cooler but we are talking performance on and off road. I considered bigger tires for clearance but came to the realization that it feels a little better to sit low and drag the bottom particularly on some of the inclines we have been doing! Let's face it, the possibility of snapping something on the front end is greater with the 37's period and if you take it to the dealer with something snapped on the front AND you have 37's on the truck the first thing the dealer is going to tell you is you modified the truck from stock and you are responsible. Don't take my word for it because I just spoke to the parts manager at Sherman Oaks yesterday and that's what the told me. This includes lift kits too because he had a guy come in that ruined the entire front end who had a lift, 37's blah blah, way too much pressure on the front. The GM engineers are a smart bunch. In this instance I really would not second guess them unless you have a great relationship with your insurance agent.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Phil,

You are supposed to lather the bottom with olive oil so it slips right over. You can also put banana peels on the rocks before driving over them.

Sarcasm is good, I like that but I still believe the GM engineers probably know more overall about the truck as a whole. They knew the clearance sucked so they put protection down there. The protection is weak in some areas but that has to do with warranty issues, meaning if you come in and you've smashed your aluminum skid plate and cage tubing they will probably call it off-road abuse so they don't have to pay for it.

The tie-rods are weak, agreed.

The tires are perfect for the truck.

I hate seeing mine all bent up too but what do you expect with the mechanics hanging down instead of being tucked up like the H1?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 PM

okay now I am totally confused about the tire issue!!

I did look at the tire and there is NO wearing on the inside so this must be occuring when parking and when I do doughnuts in the sand!!! LOL!!

Anyway...glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem. It's brand new line of vehicle and I expect a lot of kinks to be driven out through "us" the first group of owners. That's why they send out those questionaires all the time.

I totally cannot complain about this vehicle as this is the first that has NEVER been to the dealer for work in the first year of ownership. It's funny but I can still remember every detail of the Benz-BMW customer waiting rooms.

I found it extremely funny that those who showed up to our outing that had extreme mods to their rigs were the ones who couldn't off road bc they had a "broken this and that". All had lift modifications and were having serious issues with them from front end problems to rear air bladder problems. I AM SOOOOOO glad that I didn't get the air suspension kit. Have several friends who wish they hadn't gotten them either.

I'll keep my stock rig!!!

And I know what you mean about that damn rocker panel. Mine has a nice divet in the middle from a rock that I straddled following a black H1. What was I thinking?????

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?