H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-22-2003, 11:03 PM

MisterEd is off the scale

Had my Hummer about three weeks now and did a little trail ride this weekend. Got home and poceeded to wash the underside with a hose...as I washed, the paint start flaking off to bear steel on the frame..And just the garden hose, no pressure wash at all!

What gives??? Anyone else have this happen??

Any suggestions as to what I should want the dealer to do??

Appreciate any suggestions!

Happy trails!

Age is a state of mind, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:03 PM

Had my Hummer about three weeks now and did a little trail ride this weekend. Got home and poceeded to wash the underside with a hose...as I washed, the paint start flaking off to bear steel on the frame..And just the garden hose, no pressure wash at all!

What gives??? Anyone else have this happen??

Any suggestions as to what I should want the dealer to do??

Appreciate any suggestions!

Happy trails!

Old 06-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Hummer Professional

SOFTTAILJC is off the scale

mister ed , thats the first i've heard of that happening... i'd contact dealer a.s.a.p. tell him the problem... be firm but use tact...let us know how you make out......soft...
Old 06-23-2003, 12:44 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

Yeah I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer and had them repaint it. 2 months later same thing again. Taking it in soon
Old 06-23-2003, 04:38 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

The dealer told me when I bought my H2 that there were some paint problems with the pewter, which I purchased. I have not had any problems but am wondering if that is the specific color you are talking about. Also, this underbody rust thing really bugs me. I will probably run mine to the dealer tomorrow in Sherman Oaks and see what they do. I guess we could call Hummer directly as well and start to complain. I just don't think a 50k truck should have any rust on the bottom.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:14 AM

TURBO HUMMER is off the scale

exposed. One time when I went to the dealer the service rep in charge for that area from GM was present. The only comment was that this rust is not affecting the safety of the vehicle, which is probably true. Furthermore he stated that is not covered under the vehicle warranty. My only comment was that my TAHOE after 7 years and half the cost was in much better shape.

Don't expect too much from those arrogant GM people. When I had talked to him the dealer couldn't get cars fast enough in to sell them. Guess what, today he has 60 cars on the lot. Maybe the attitude of this gentleman has changed. Good luck with your dealer.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:17 AM

TURBO HUMMER is off the scale

Sorry, upper part lost when pasted.

I do have the same problems with the underbody rust. The entire axle shows surface rust as well as MANY other parts. Rust wouldn't bother me if the entire rear end wouldn't be so exposed. One time when I went to the dealer the service rep in charge for that area from GM was present. The only comment was that this rust is not affecting the safety of the vehicle, which is probably true. Furthermore he stated that is not covered under the vehicle warranty. My only comment was that my TAHOE after 7 years and half the cost was in much better shape.

Don't expect too much from those arrogant GM people. When I had talked to him the dealer couldn't get cars fast enough in to sell them. Guess what, today he has 60 cars on the lot. Maybe the attitude of this gentleman has changed. Good luck with your dealer.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:39 AM

Patriot is off the scale

I had the same problem..

The rust you may see on those spots is not rust from the frame but surface rust. The frame is hot dipped...the black coating IS NOT for rust protection but for sound deadening only.

I climbed under and all the frame coating is not paint. If you touch it, you can actually "smear" it...like rubber. The problem is once you have a spot started, it tends to continue from that point and get worse.

You can use any type frame paint. My dealer said he'd touch it up...but it'll just spread.

Not saying it's right...but I doubt the frame will rust out.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:50 AM

Many thanks again for the help....My Hummer is a Pewter and the paint is flaking on the front rails....

I've got a good dealer so we'll see what their response is...I recognize it would be a long time before it rusted enough to be a problem but also wondered if the rails were "coated" in some way before the flat black was applied... and thus maybe creating a problem for the paint to adhere...

Again, the help is great!!

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

Hey buckeyehummer,
Let me know what the dealer says I plan on taking my in to the same dealer July 7th

PhilD ( my Hero) Phil can you post before and after pics of your rust. I know you painted the underbody. thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

The Ziebart treatment looks good. My underbelly did not rust like that. I just had a few spots in the front (trans axle I think). I called Hummer directly. They were very receptive to my questions and immediately called the Sherman Oaks dealer while I was on-hold. The dealer called me back and said that it was just surface rust (as many of you have said). I don't believe this will affect the performance of the truck in any way but it just looks bad. The bottom line is that I see it and it bugs me for purchasing a 50K truck (I paid 43K with a GMS discount but it still gets me). Anyway, I am taking it to Sherman Oaks tonight and am basically going to tell them that it simply isn't acceptable. I will post what they say. I plan on talking to Gerald Whitmore who sold me the truck (nice guy, I hope it stays that way!)
Old 06-24-2003, 04:22 PM

I went to my dealer last eve.....everyone could not have been nicer. Offered to spray the frame but then said more would probably flake off.....they have had several do the same thing.....

Showed me two brand new ones with the same problem......both had under ten miles, both had frame paint flaking off.....

I'm hitting the frame with Rustoleum this weekend myself........

Old 06-24-2003, 04:55 PM

cubby is off the scale

WOW.......this is good to know guys. I myself have a Pewter H2, I have had it for about 7 months now and have not noticed any rust. But then again I haven't been offroad much in it. Maybe thats the problem......who knows, but it will be something I will look out for.
Thanks for all the comments...
Old 06-24-2003, 06:19 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Might depend on what part of the country you live in and the climate.

Is it very dry in Houston?

Vehicles tend to rust alot here in New England. Betwwen the rain, the snow, the salt, and the salt air, they don't have a chance.

But honestly, my 6 year old Grand Cherokee looks better underneath than some of the pics you guys are posting here.

GM must have extremely poor paint prep.

It IS true though, surface rust doesn't hurt anything, although it IS unsightly.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 06-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I just checked the underside of my Hummer with a flashlight, no rust and no frame paint imperfection anywhere. 12,000 miles 380 hours and many ski trips. After each ski trip, the enite Hummer and every tiny corners were covered with dirty snow, mud and whatever they sparyed on the roads, I jet sprayed (without high presure compressor) the underside repeatedly after every ski trip.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

it was funny, when I was in Dallas a few weeks back they had a SUV show, and they had two new hummers from some Texas dealership with rust like phils. They had a Marking GM there from Hummer, he said he has never heard of any rust problems. Then when I showed him on the two new hummers he was like well bring yours into the deal and they should recoat it.