H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Question Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

When I begin to slow down coming to a stop, I hear and feel a sort of squish/crunch sound coming from the rear passenger wheel. I have a little over 13,000 miles on my H3. It doesn't happen on quick short stops .. only when I give myself distance to stop. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm going to the dealer in the morning. (I also have a problem with the passenger seat belt not releasing itself after the brake pedal is released, keeping the passenger feeling like he/she is in a straight jacket until they remove their seat belt and re-click it.) By the way, they had had my H3 last week for a cyclinder head/valve replacement .. another time for tire pressure sensor message light. Thanks for any advise! (First timer here)

Black H3, black leather seats, chrome, luxury package, sunroof, brush guard, luggage rack, in-headrest DVD players, XM, chrome lock fuel cover ....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheArchiTexan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

check for squished squirrels.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

The ArchiTexan is on a distinguished road

I'm Ghey!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Nope, no roadkill. Thanks, you're suggestion and proclamation that you're "ghey" was enlightening. (Not).
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Might be a broken leaf spring. My right rear broke right where it curls around the mount, but it didnt make a squishing sound.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Unhappy Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

Update on that sound from the rear wheel ... the service rep said he hears the sound from all wheels when he comes to a hard stop, but that it's normal. Hmmmm .. where have I heard that before in the past with outher vehicles? They lubed it and he says that sound help. Should I be concerned????????
I don't have it back yet as they are waiting on parts .. replacing a faulty seatbelt, rubber strip, etc.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Hummer Guru

Red face Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

Sorry for the typos in my above post. Wow ... hope you can understand what I wrote!!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:22 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Drive it till it breaks. If it's gonna go down, might as well have fun getting there
Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Mine DOES NOT make sounds comming to any kind of stop. Your dealer is giving you the runaround . Talk to the manager and tell him you want to test some other 3's to see if they make noise. Dont settle for less. I would let the manager know about the less than good service your getting from that yahoo. Good luck, keep us informed
Old 06-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Unhappy Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

Thanks for the advice! I just called and left a message for the service rep. Not only do I hear the 'scrunch' sound when stopping, I can feel it. My message said that when I get to the dealer I will want to test drive it with someone before accepting it back. I'm not comfortable with it if that sound/feeling is still there. They still have my H3 .. waiting on a seatbelt part to be shipped from the east coast. In the meanwhile, they have me in a new Escalade...aka "Fuelhog". I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 12,700 miles on mine and im getting a binding/grinding type noise from the front.mostly when wet, intermitent otherwise.
Its going to the dealer tommorow morning.Funny thing ...it didnt do it today.

I will list results on my original thread
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16877&page=2&highlight=brakes+bin ding
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummer Guru

The sound you are hearing is the same thing I am hearing in mine.,, like a binding/grinding. I couldn't think of the right words for the sound when I described mine as a squish/crunch. I sense that mine is coming from the rear right. Mine had been intermittent, but was now at every long stop (not quick stop). I had OnStar do a diagnostic check before taking it in and they didn't see any problems. I began hearing sound this every so often beginning around 12,000 miles. I now have 13,000 and it wasn't intermittent anymore...just all long stops. Per 'StarsNBars' suggestion, I left a message for the dealer rep that this is something not right and I want it corrected before I pick it up. He hasn't called me back. Surprised? I'll post back here when I hear what's up with mine. Please do the same with yours if you get any answers!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm3 Hope this helps you.They figured out problem right away.
Let me know how you make out .

Just came back from the dealer.

Defective rear pads,wearing improperly,resurface rear rotors and replace rear pads.Under warranty 12,849 miles
They did not elaborate further
No noises Yey !
I would have prefered new rotors but I beleve the just cleaned them up .I didnt see any groves or gouges when I looked at them last week.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Hummer Guru

Cool Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

Thanks fourfourto! I left a message for my service manager telling him your problem was exactly what I was experiencing. He called me back several hours later to say it's definitely fine. He said the head technician will test drive it with me tomorrow morning. <grrrrr> If I as much as hear one little sound, I won't except it. You had jogged my memory with the Jeep Grand Cherokee we have, too. It had that same problem soon after we had put some mileage on it. If fact, Jeep headquarters had wanted to 'research' ours because the problem had happened so soon after we had purchased it. They sent it to their 'master mechanics' and kept it for over two weeks. The problem was with the rotors. I hope that's not the problem with the H3. I'll post here and let you know. I appreciate you letting me know what your problem was. I have a feeling that's what's going on with mine, but I'll TRY to be positive when I get there. Good luck with yours!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Wow my dealers closed on saturday.
If they dont hear anything they should pull off a wheel or two and take a look.
Good luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Hummer Guru

Angry Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

My dealer/service area is open on Saturdays until 5pm. I went to take the test drive on my H3 to see if the sound was still there. My service rep greeted me. Instead of the tech rep, the service dept. manager took the test drive with me. Fortunately, I didn't turn in the loaner car first. Of course, as soon as I made the first stop in the H3, the bind/grind sound was easy to hear. I just looked at the service manager after the first stop and his face twisted. I stopped 5 more times and he said, "Ok, ok, I hear it". We drove back to the service area and he ran ahead of me to my service rep. I am so grateful for your input, fourfourto, because I used your words about the problem you had with your H3 .. regarding rotors and defective pads. At least it had sounded like I knew what I was talking about. He told me to hold onto the Escalade until he calls me on Monday. He 'thinks' maybe it's only the pads. I told him I was to make sure there aren't any grooves/gouges on the rotors because it really sounds like a rotor problem to me. If they tell me it's not the rotors, I will make sure it is documented on the paperwork that I had brought it in questioning a possible rotor problem. That way if I have a recurring problem (3 times=lemon law), I can fall back on the paperwork. I just want my Hummer back AND A-ok! I'll post what I hear next week! Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Hummer Guru

They didnt tell me why they were defective?
Probobly the bonding seperated as said by f5 (usually he
hits the nail on the head)
New pads and a turn down(cut) of the rotors just to clean them up so the new pads can have a clean surface. good luck it seems like no biggie though.
My dealer found the problem right away and had it back to me within 2 hours ,I waited at dealer.

I use my e brake every day in my driveway than put it in park . (hilly driveway) so the weight
of H3 is agaist the rear brakes 24/7 that might of made the pads serperate quicker than normal. who knows?

Funny thing with mine is it realy sounded like the front but it was the back.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Hummer Guru

My brother noticed today theres a seperate scrub brake for the e brake ,so it couldnt have caused the problem.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:50 AM
Hummer Guru

Wink Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

I'm sure you're glad that you now know you didn't cause the problem to the pads or rotors, fourfourto! I haven't heard back from the dealer all day .. they're closed now. He told me on Saturday that he'd call me today. I'll call him in the morning for an update. I'm thinking that they found the problem. Eight days today without my H3 ... BUMMER! We live on a hill, so I wonder if all of the ups and downs brought this problem out (just normal street driving). But, hey .. it's a Hummer!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Angry Re: Squish/crunch sound from rear passenger wheel ...

Day 9 without my H3. The service rep didn't call me yesterday, so I called him this morning to get an update. He said they're waiting on 'parts'. I could barely get a word in -- he rushed me saying he'll call me the minute the parts arrive. No timeline. He said he thought it was ready this morning, but when he test drove it, it had sounded terrible. He got me off the phone so fast that he didn't even tell me what the main problem is! Some neighbors are used to seeing me in the Escalade already after the first go around with the cylinder head/valve prob, and now the rotor/pad prob. Two had even commented, "Couldn't take that Hummer anymore .. bought a Cadiallac instead?" <grrrrrrr> Missing my Hummer.