H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 AM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale
Default Radix installed.....WOW.

Finished installing my Radix Supercharger last night.....took it for a ride at about 3am. All I can say is WOW. I thought you guys were kidding when you side it spins all 4 wheels out of the hole. I could see how you could easily break things. The thing is nuts, hard to beleave the difference a little boost makes. Ill have pics and 1/4 mile times up later.

Found a cool place in the dash to drill and mount the boost gauge, not perfect but didnt cost me $200 for that liegnfelter mount.....ill have pics of that up later too.

Ok im out, got to go install the intercooler (Didnt finish that up last night).

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch

Last edited by johndjmix1 : 06-23-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

ttkresurfacing is off the scale
Default Re: Radix installed.....WOW.

Makes the truck alot more fun to drive doesn't it. There is a dual guage pod on ebay which is what I used for my guages. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Speedhut-Hummer-H2-2-Dual-Gauge-Gauges-Dash-Pod-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43951QQihZ013QQitem Z230145738767QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW.
They look nice in there. Enjoy.

Tim
Old 06-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Hummer Professional

Fun to drive is an understatement, it makes the truck feel like its electric! It just makes that whine and pulls. I ran it on the G tech and it ran the 1/4 mile at 15.29@91.34 mph, thats over 2 seconds improvement from stock (Stock was 17.43@85.7). Heck another few tenths and its in the 14's, thats what my 99 mustang ran stock! Anyone got into the 14's...without snaping anything -).

I mounted the gauge in the dash. I drilled with a hole saw directly above the headlight switch module, just under the vent to the right. It fits (2" gauge) but cant go in 100% flush on top due to the curve of the dash and the clearance to the headlight switch behind the dash. Still its pretty good, and its free.....

Ill have the pics of all this up soon...

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

ttkresurfacing is off the scale

What else do you have done to the truck? Are you using the tune that came with it? It's very fun to be able to smoke those little ricers, hell I actually pulled away from a Z28.

Tim
Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Hummer Professional

Nothing else done to the Hummer, not even exhaust. Stock air box stock everything.

I got the radix used, and when I ordered the programer from Magnasun they sent me a superchips, with the magnasun logo. I guess they changed to the superchips tuner with a custom program from them.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Hummer Professional

Default Re: Radix installed...and boost gauge (w/ Pictures)

Pictures are up. Check out the last one, thats where I mounted my boost gauge....

http://www.johnhasmorefun.com/miscpi...arger-install/

Thats: www.johnhasmorefun.com/miscpics/2007-06-24_h2-supercharger-install/

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radix installed...and boost gauge (w/ Pictures)

dude, is that your garage or a work site? Man, you gott so much room to play with!!

The install looks pretty straight foward. Everytime i look at that vortec intake i always wonder what the hell was GM think unless they wanted to perposely kill the top end on these motors!!

can you get a vid from inside the truck while you testing on a closed course?!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Hummer Professional

Thats actually my shop at home. Pretty cool, its got 16 foot ceilings and a pit (That made droping the tank much easier). Also got heat and A/C. Its about 30 x 50

=)

My house is for sale so when I get a new place im going to put up a major garage....im thinking 60 x 100.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Tallowood_Air is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Radix installed.....WOW.

hey! nice job on the BOOST

now pucker up and kiss the trans goodbye

or, you can save the trans by driving like a panzy

(IMO)
37" Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 on 24" ZINIK Mazotti
Pioneer AVIC-Z1 HDD navigation; 2 x 12" JL W6; Custom Box w/ Lights
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Nice job John!!

You should like the Superchips. HPTUNERS.com a private company that sells tuning software for laptops and tuning shops was after SEMA 2005 by MSD to provide the tunes for Superchips Racing. MSD likes it so well they cut a contract for HPTUNERS.com to provide tune for Superchips programer. Superchips programmer is so much better than the one that came with the supercharger kits it is not funny. HPTUNERS.com gave te programmer alot more variability.

Go to HPTUNERS.com site and you may be able to get more info on Superchips.

I'm partial to HPTUNERS.com as they are major sponsor for my show H2. The thing is though i had researched the tuning software that was out there to do my own tunes. I went to them to buy several thousand dollars of stuff to get setup as well as look at pro shop tuning kit price.

The head programmer happen to answer the phone so i asked questions and just basics on what i was doing but, the rig was a show rig also with Magnuson as sponsor as well as many many others.

The guy was to call me back with answers I had on the tuning seeing if they could incorporate a few things specila without allot of increase in cost. What i wanted ended up being something they had planned to add anyway so it was a non issue. The next call i got was one of the 3 owners the one mostly in charge but, the youngest of 3 with oldest being around 27 years old. They are a great group of guys and the ramrod called and asked if i had a tuning sponsor of which i did not. He said what would it take for us to be that sponsor so we worked it out.

I mention these things so that when i say you can run a Superchip programmer with confidence i really mean it. I have had exstensive conversation with 2 of the guys and they are really concerned about putting out a product of quality. Yet as one said to me some of the other tuners wanted more restriction and it was HPTUNERS.com right to go with them or pass if the other companies were going to restrict what HP could do to help the customer within safe limits. So HP kept passing on major national deals that would have set them for life until MSD came along and told them we want the most competitive programmer You can deliver the software for and HP got on board then it led to tuning Superchips racing and MSD passing on their work to HP that MSD had patents on for Ford and Dodge. HP has been righting tunes for GM products only.

I cannot say that every programer will be perfect but, I know MSD let HpTUNERS.com stretch the tuners limits a little more than had been before. Now of course Superchips customers may set peramiters asking HP to leave a % of HP and torque on the table but, all pragrammers do that because of liability issues if you blow up Your ride. To get the full potential take rig to a local shop tuner or by the software and learn to tune. It is not very hard really at all. Just read the material over and over as well as go to the HP forum that has most questions answered and it is always almost monitored by one of the 3 owners which is really amazing considering how little time they have. They are really dedicated to their product and customer being happy.

Well so much for my little commercial but, wanted to let you know why I could speak with confidence in the tuning in Superchips programmers when before the Hp tune went in them You could not have given me one of them. The best out before just in my opinion was the Power Programer. I forget the exact name as it was done by a local tuning shop in my area but, comp cams bought it out and changed the name to Flash Pack or something like that. Before my SC I ran their first H2 programer for 2005 H2 as no one had realized yet that the program in 2005 from factory was different from 03/04 H2. I let them scan my ride and they got programmers out about 3 months before the rest. Like to help home town boys beat the pack if i can. These guys sponsor also as i got one of the first production billet coil pack cover kits they came out with. They slip me alot of stuff in advance as sponsor but so i can run it a month or so. That is on more than the H2 as i have other GM rides.

Well once again i write a novel but, it is 5:30 am central and mind is just rolling along. Sorry all!!!

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Hummer Professional

Hey taz, yea....i had read up on the hptuners, and checked out their site. Wasnt sure i wanted to try messing with that level (although it did seem pretty simple and with a good interface). Keep in mind ive built a few motors, done a bunch of fabrication, built a cool street legal quad with a R1 motor in it -)) and i have a shop at home thats proboly setup better than a lot of business-shops. I just wasent sure i was up to the task.

I was thinking i might pick it up to allow me to change the setup a bit so I can run 87. Not sure, really my main focus is on ATV's and such and i spend what free time i have now on them.

Would be cool to play with it though. Am I able to download what the superchips programer put into my H2 and play with that....or would i have to put it back to stock and guess what to change. Do they have pre-done tunes available so you have a good starting point...?

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

John once you have software on laptop you can have your programmer tuning installed and read that with your laptop saving it as a starting base for improving your custom tune.

The nice thing about having the software is you can save several level of tunes and flash them at will while saving the tune you are changing out. You would put stock tune back in after copying the superchips info to laptop as you cannot flash the new altered laptop tune unless the stock tune is in place which would be stored on the superchips tuner. You can also make an extra copy of stock tune in case of a crash so you would not have to take PCM back to dealer to pay to have it put back in.

On the forum members can upload tunes to the forum for members to download and try them if it fits your need. I know there has been a stock tune on the forum a long time incase anyone crashs and does not have stock tune to put back in etc.

I will have 6 to 8 tunes maybe more saved on my computer based on which SC pulley I'm running, methanol inj. or temp range of spark plugs as well as quality of wires used plus if i'm running upgraded coil packs. Say tunes for interstate cruising for traveling, street tune to economize, then power, and full race tune with methanol injection. I'm even looking at seeing if there is a way to run a pulley for ac, water pump, and power steering bypassing the supercharger while on long trips to see if it would help fuel economy. I do not think it would make a difference anyway as the SC only uses a 1/3HP during non boost. Just really thinking outside the box in every way i can all the time. Maybe why i have health problems i use my brain to much on some things that should be left alone. LOL

You would of course have to work in limits of pulley size running and ability to control fuel pressure. It is not critical as fuel sys. is designed to bypass but, not over using it makes it last longer. I did not make the tank pump change out or in line add-on pump since i wanted to go with Keene Bell boost-a-pump system. Bell kit lets you get full use of stock pump which is more than able to provide fuel pressure needed, plus it causes the power source to pump to be leveled out with same voltage all the time (no spikes) which is a big culprit in pump life also constant steady pressure helps with an even better tune as you can count on fuel required being there. I feel i can do extra fine tuning with fuel delivery leaning or riching the engine right during runs with partner making adjustments but, then marked for reference to check computer log to see what happened. I just do not want to over use the fuel pump pushing more up front than needed and those with tank pump change outs would want to stretch the life of the pump more anyway.

Just preventive type stuff. I'm weird like that and drive Dragon nuts some because i try to think of every contingency. I think it is why Dragon and i do such a good job on complete custom builds is because I'm picky in certain areas and Dragon is more so in other areas. I have let him down some on my end not being able to go to the shop all that i want or needed but, Dragon can do it no problem. Dragon is real picky about electronics end and the body customization as well as the paint scheme. He has a great gift of design. I really look more at the power and performance side though he is very very capable there as well. On tuner cars Dragon is really in his element. The shop customizes anything so Dragon on MotorSportsAuthority.com side has to look at anything from rice rockets to old school muscle cars. He does not know it yet but, I think the next project i want for myself is to take a 2000 model Miata and change the engine, drivetrain, and suspension to run a small block 289HP or a little larger motor either old school mechanical power only or hi-tech supercharged or nitrous add-on power. Leaning heavily to old school.

From the sounds of your experience I do not see why you should not go with the HPTUNERS software and laptop after you are familiar with intial setup and playing around with superchips programer. The newest programers i understand have allot of tunability in them now compared to 3 years or so ago. But, starting with a programer tune is the way i recommend anyone to start out. You have a tune that you know you can run around on while you tweak it on your laptop.

Look at forum at HPTUNERS and you will find answers to questions you have not even thought of yet that have been brought up by first timers and the main man himself Keith will be on there moderating and answering questions in real time even. The 3 young men that started this company are great guys and deserve all the success they have had. They had many offers before MSD asked them to do superchips tunes for them but, the guys were being asked to give up to many things in various offers by others. They would not sell out for the sake of the all mighty dollar. Creativity had to be under their control and the deal had to not in anyway have anything to do with what they did with their company. I just hope the success does not ruin them. My sponsorship will be up after this summer but, i had hoped to do the Texas Mile in late Oct. 2007 and set a speed record for SUV's in the open class which is held by basicly a stock Tahoe at 125MPH at end of mile and through the trap. I know i can blow that away. My health issues and Dragon running behind on some of the upgrades he has, i do not know if i can make it since I have allot of tuning to do once i get H2 back in my hands. I had just started to move in the direction i wanted to go which is 16 to 18lbs. of boost which has to be done with caution, so having time doing it is more critical than meeting deadlines. There would be another chance in Feb. of 2008 so maybe i can make it. i had hoped to do the mile trap and earn sponsorship for a while yet more. HPTUNERS has fulfilled their obligations with no complaints by me.

John just read more on HPTUNERS forum and you will see it is not hard. Buy yourself the newest G-Tech Pro unit that will allow you to check HP at the wheels as well as torque. It does 0 to 60, 1/4 mile times, 1/8 mile times and with the Pro unit it will have software so that you can get print outs that will look like dyno sheets. There are few all wheel dynos that are large enough to hold a H2. Go to the Pro website and read up on it. They have a great tech support as well as customer service.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges