H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 04-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cobra CB Install

Quick question for those who have installed the Cobra 75WSXT. Did you run a direct wire to the battery, or tap into a RAP, Ignition On, or B+ inside the vehicle? And if you did, do you have any issues with interference from the circuit (alternator whine, buzzing, etc.)?
As soon as I finish with the custom antenna mounts, I will be installing mine, and was not looking forward to running wires directly to the battery for ground and B+. So, if no one is having noise issues using inside the I/P or kick panel wiring, I can save some time, and tap into a RAP circuit inside the kick panel.

One more question. Is a satellite speaker required, or is the sound volume and quality ok through the microphone unit?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale
Default Re: Cobra CB Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Quick question for those who have installed the Cobra 75WSXT. Did you run a direct wire to the battery, or tap into a RAP, Ignition On, or B+ inside the vehicle? And if you did, do you have any issues with interference from the circuit (alternator whine, buzzing, etc.)?
As soon as I finish with the custom antenna mounts, I will be installing mine, and was not looking forward to running wires directly to the battery for ground and B+. So, if no one is having noise issues using inside the I/P or kick panel wiring, I can save some time, and tap into a RAP circuit inside the kick panel.

One more question. Is a satellite speaker required, or is the sound volume and quality ok through the microphone unit?

I don't have the 75WSXT installed, but I've used by a handheld (via the cigarette lighter) and a smaller cobra (can't remember the model number) hardwired to an available power wire under the dash (driver's side, to the right of the steering column). Never had any problems with interference as of yet...
Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Field Scout is on a distinguished road

I hard wired to the hot side of my rear wiper switch so when I turn off the truck so goes the cb, heard too many stories of GM batteries dying fast with other stuff plugged in, also I had know need for an extra speaker sounds good as is no whine at all. Although truckers w/amplified mikes are a little hard to understand. hope that helps
Old 04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Scout
I hard wired to the hot side of my rear wiper switch so when I turn off the truck so goes the cb, heard too many stories of GM batteries dying fast with other stuff plugged in, also I had know need for an extra speaker sounds good as is no whine at all. Although truckers w/amplified mikes are a little hard to understand. hope that helps
Thanks. guess I'll go ahead and hook into the RAP circuit.
Do you have the Cobra 75? If so, where did you mount the box?

As for the truckers with the amplified CBs. I had an amplified CB in my Jeep and a 6 inch remote speaker hanging from the top roll bar, and half the time I could not understand those truckers who insist on talking like a redneck from the bayou.

Thanks to eldave too for the information.

Last edited by f5fstop : 04-18-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Hummer Professional

CrisB is an unknown quantity at this point

I hard wired mine into the aux power outlet on control panel, no noise or interference noticed.
2006 H3 Adventure, green in & out, Line-X, no bling. Onboard air, Rino GPS, BVG roof rack, roof-mounted lights, Warn xd9000i winch, RR rails, Hunner's skid plates, custom UCP, rear tire rack, roofcam.

1965 IH Scout 80, fully restored with winch, lockers, Dana 44's...holds it's own to an H3.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Field Scout is on a distinguished road

I put the box next to the auto tranny shifter upper right hand side inside center consol running the mike around the bottom of the shifter and out the bottom of the center consol to the driver floor area, Ive got my mike mount right next to my right leg and seat just right so its not in the way good luck, biggest pain was getting antena wire inside but i ran it through the driver door grommet door frame(I think you showed someone on the forum where that was some time ago)
Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Hummer Guru

Thanks.
I'm installing a dual-phase antenna system. Mounting the antennas to the very rear groove of each roof rail, then bringing the wire down the rear pillar, under the black plastic trim, and there I will drill a hole in each pillar and bring the coax in, under the interior trim panels. Routing the wires forward is easy from there, similar to my rear camera.
Just now finishing up the brackets to install into the roof rack.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road

I put the remote unit under the driver's seat and wired it to the electric seats + lead and grounded it to the seat frame. Only time I get any static is if I adjust the seats w/ the cb on. No auxiliary speaker needed - plenty of volume from handset/microphone. I used a through the glass antenna; I know that this is not optimum for transmitting & receiving, but I really don't use the cb except when on the trail or traveling on the highway outside the city - too many a-holes in NYC.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I get feedback when I apply the breaks...just a loud click sound. other than that, no problems.

'03 H2
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochummer
I get feedback when I apply the breaks....

Same here. Although usually only during hard braking. But I tapped power and ground from the trailer brake cluster. I also get noise when operating the rear DS window. At some point I'm going to redo everything and get a better ground on the control box and antenna.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Hummer Guru

I'm probably going to tap into the front and rear windows/locks RAP circuit. Should connect it this weekend, if the man in brown arrives tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Same here. Although usually only during hard braking.
Yeah I get that too sometimes. I had mine installed though the same power the radio uses. I'm just happy I don't hear any more whining. (at least from the radio )
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Uniden CB and am planning on installing it in the next day or so. Does anyone know of any good "HOWTO's" for this? It's not that I can't or don't know how to actually install it, but I am not sure where various power leads are! Also, I have searched several times on this site for information on this subject and have not found anything. Yes, I searched before asking!

Bill
Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisB
I hard wired mine into the aux power outlet on control panel, no noise or interference noticed.

I'm thinking that this might not be a bad idea and fairly easy to pinpoint once the dash is removed.

Is there a source for wiring diagrams for this vehicle? I know of one source (f5) but that is not available!!

Bill