H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road
Default Popping sound when turning.

Recently I purchased a set of new rims for the truck which are the same size and depth as the ones I previously had on. I have the same tires as well. Since they were installed, I have a "popping" sound that is very loud and noticable. It seems to stem mainly when the wheel is turned to the left. I crawled underneath the truck and noticed that it is fairly wet (oil) around the left pivot arm (close to the grease point), however it looks like something is leaking from above b/c other parts are wet as well. The right side is completely dry though. I am in no way maintance savy and I was wondering what some of you think may be the culprit. I know if I take this thing into the dealership (some 2 hours away) that they'll say its the size of the wheels and the warranty doesn't cover it. I would put the factory set back on, but these tires that are on the 20's are the only ones I have at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.....Jamie
Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Popping sound when turning.

Can you post a pic of the area in question? it might help to nail down whats going on.
secondly check the upper control arm mounts where they adjust at the frame. I have seen them shift when bigger tires are added. even some stock tired trucks did it. to tell if its moving there use a paint pen to mark accrossed the curved slot and bolt heads. if it moves you will see in in the alinement marks you made.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Hummer Guru

Starting to think the work on the stabilizer of these oversized wheels and tires is causing it too much strain.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

You are running stock size tires and many people run 20's so you dont have an oversized tire issue. Perhaps the rockstars have a different offset which my cause problems. At any rate if you truly have a problem im confident it would be covered under warranty. You may be better served to take it to a local shop for a diagnosis prior to making your journey to the dealership(if it is bad enough to cause concern). You also may want to check out Proctor as they are better equiped for the more discerning owner(you feel like you bought a 65k truck when you go for service).

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

KingVinnie is on a distinguished road

A good test to start is to jack the front of the truck up. Grab the wheel and try to rock it, top to bottom / left to right. If there is play in there you have a problem. Pitman, idler, balljoints, CA bolts.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
You are running stock size tires and many people run 20's so you dont have an oversized tire issue. Perhaps the rockstars have a different offset which my cause problems. At any rate if you truly have a problem im confident it would be covered under warranty. You may be better served to take it to a local shop for a diagnosis prior to making your journey to the dealership(if it is bad enough to cause concern). You also may want to check out Proctor as they are better equiped for the more discerning owner(you feel like you bought a 65k truck when you go for service).

Thanks...I did take it into the shop today. The mech said that the power steering fluid was leaking and it looks as though most is coming from the gearbox seals. I told him it was still under warranty and that I may have an issue with them trying to weezle out of fixing it. He suggested to show the reciept of when I had them mounted, and take a picture of the build-up (he said it looked as though it has been leaking for a while ...like 6-12 months worth). Also said I could use him as a reference if they decided to get rough. He topped of the fluid, now no more popping. Do you guys think that Hummer will try and say that the box went out due primarily to the tire size and the 20" wheels? What size tire is stock? Thanks guys....Jamie
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
Thanks...I did take it into the shop today. The mech said that the power steering fluid was leaking and it looks as though most is coming from the gearbox seals. I told him it was still under warranty and that I may have an issue with them trying to weezle out of fixing it. He suggested to show the reciept of when I had them mounted, and take a picture of the build-up (he said it looked as though it has been leaking for a while ...like 6-12 months worth). Also said I could use him as a reference if they decided to get rough. He topped of the fluid, now no more popping. Do you guys think that Hummer will try and say that the box went out due primarily to the tire size and the 20" wheels? What size tire is stock? Thanks guys....Jamie

All depends on the service advisor and dealership if they are going to bust your chops in re the mods causing the trouble. I dont see how a seal on a pump shaft could be damaged or the wear accelerated from larger wheels and tires. Sure...if the pump itself blew then I could see maybe an issue. Worst case, throw the stock rims/wheels back on when you go to the dealer. I think the stock rims are either 17 or 18 inch rims. Not sure. I'll look and let you know.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-14-2007, 02:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr
All depends on the service advisor and dealership if they are going to bust your chops in re the mods causing the trouble. I dont see how a seal on a pump shaft could be damaged or the wear accelerated from larger wheels and tires. Sure...if the pump itself blew then I could see maybe an issue. Worst case, throw the stock rims/wheels back on when you go to the dealer. I think the stock rims are either 17 or 18 inch rims. Not sure. I'll look and let you know.

The stockers are indeed 17", and I do have them, but I do not have any tires for them . I'm hoping the pictures, the reciept date, and the recommedation from the mechanic will be proof enough. Oh well, guess we'll see though.....
Old 09-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Hummer Authority

Stockers are 35in tires on 17 in rims. You wont have any problem getting your problem fixed. I have a nicely banged up undercarraige and had my steering gear box and pitman and idler arm replaced a while back under gmpp and it doesnt cover what the factory warranty does(and im running 20's too). I wouldnt worry at all.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Stockers are 35in tires on 17 in rims. You wont have any problem getting your problem fixed. I have a nicely banged up undercarraige and had my steering gear box and pitman and idler arm replaced a while back under gmpp and it doesnt cover what the factory warranty does(and im running 20's too). I wouldnt worry at all.

did you have to take it all the way back to Mobile or did they service it for you somewhere around here? (Since I know that we are in the same area) thanks.....Jamie
Old 09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Hummer Authority

I was able to bring it to Preston Hood but they cannot do factory warranty work...only GMPP even though they have Hummer certified staff. You are going to have to take it to Mobile or Proctor. If you have just a bit of extra time i would advise you to take it to Proctor. I know youll like the service MUCH better.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I was able to bring it to Preston Hood but they cannot do factory warranty work...only GMPP even though they have Hummer certified staff. You are going to have to take it to Mobile or Proctor. If you have just a bit of extra time i would advise you to take it to Proctor. I know youll like the service MUCH better.

Where is Proctor? (FL or AL) Bout how far from here? Thanks bro.....Jamie
Old 09-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Hummer Authority

Proctor is in Tallahassee.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Proctor is in Tallahassee.

Thanks bro, I'll give'em a call
Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got the same description of popping on mine. I've checked out the suspension but may have missed something. I didn't check the fluid though??? Guess I'll have to.

Mark
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update... I checked my powersteering today and it was low... it was at the bottom mark.. nothing wierd or waaaay low, just at the bottom of the recommended level.

The reason I point this out is because I added a bit of fluid and I haven't heard the popping again. It's really wierd. The popping sounds like it's coming out of an upper control arm bushing or something.

I drove it quite a bit today and nothing... I'll pay attention to see if it comes back but that's just wierd.

Mark
Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Just an update... I checked my powersteering today and it was low... it was at the bottom mark.. nothing wierd or waaaay low, just at the bottom of the recommended level.

The reason I point this out is because I added a bit of fluid and I haven't heard the popping again. It's really wierd. The popping sounds like it's coming out of an upper control arm bushing or something.

I drove it quite a bit today and nothing... I'll pay attention to see if it comes back but that's just wierd.

Mark

Mark, was the left (driver's left) control arm joint wet, or did it look as though something was leaking?