H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Year Report

Today my H2 is one year old. I've put 8,143 miles on my SUT in that year and have had no problems with it - ZERO and still love it. The oil life said 53% at 3000 miles, but I changed it anyway because I feel the first few oil changes are the most important. Just goes to show quality can be buillt in America. I've become used to the shifting of the 6 speed and I don't even notice it anymore. It definitely likes premium gas, but I've been using mid grade 89 octane fuel and it seems to do just fine on that with no knocking. The only thing I notice with regular 87 octane is more shifting on hilly terrain and a noticably rougher idle. The lie-o-meter shows 12.7 mpg right now with 50/50 highway/suburban. I lost a windshield to a truck throwing rocks from his tires in the Ozarks and had it replaced in January. They replaced it at the house and didn't get the side pieces glued down right. I took it to Lynch and even though it was a replacement windshield they redid the trim pieces under warranty (no noise now) - thank you! I like the new style dash and the new style seats. My only gripe is that if you are tall, it's difficult to rest your arm by the window because there is no ledge like the older H2s.

Last edited by HummerJim : 04-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

TGCOFTN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One Year Report

Wow, you dont drive your H2 much at all to have only 8,000 miles.

My 2007 H2 is pushing 30,000 miles and my 2008 H2 has over 10,000 miles already.

I will say, on my 2008, the transmission shifting took a lot of getting use too, but now that mine has over 10,000 miles, it has honestly gotten better. I have been going up and down hills and its not downshifting as much as it was.

I run only Shell V-Power 93 octane in mine, I put 2 bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in it, and had my original factory oil changed at 8,740 miles and I switched to synthetic oil.

Def. the best vehicles on the road, I cant ever see myself driving anything but a Hummer.

2007 Hummer H2
2008 Hummer H2
Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

hotstang46` is on a distinguished road

[

Last edited by hotstang46` : 04-04-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGCOFTN

I run only Shell V-Power 93 octane in mine, I put 2 bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in it, and had my original factory oil changed at 8,740 miles and I switched to synthetic oil.

2007 Hummer H2
2008 Hummer H2

Man, I just couldn't help myslef, I cannot believe you didn't change your oil until 8740 miles. I can't even imagine what that oil must have looked like. Especially the first change, which is probably the most important. That shows a total lack of understanding the way to properly mantain a vehicle. I highly advise you do some reading on the subject so you don't put your next vehicle through the same abuse. PS, if you're running premium because you think you need it in the 08 you don't. The owners manual will confirm that. And if the switch to synthetic is just to be lazy and not change your oil so often it's not a good idea either. 3000 miles either way, most any mechanic will tell you that is what they do on their personal vehicles, as they will also tell you synthetic in a vehicle like this with timely changes is a waste.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstang46`
Man, I just couldn't help myslef, I cannot believe you didn't change your oil until 8740 miles. I can't even imagine what that oil must have looked like. Especially the first change, which is probably the most important. That shows a total lack of understanding the way to properly mantain a vehicle. I highly advise you do some reading on the subject so you don't put your next vehicle through the same abuse. PS, if you're running premium because you think you need it in the 08 you don't. The owners manual will confirm that. And if the switch to synthetic is just to be lazy and not change your oil so often it's not a good idea either. 3000 miles either way, most any mechanic will tell you that is what they do on their personal vehicles, as they will also tell you synthetic in a vehicle like this with timely changes is a waste.

Abuse???? Let me tell ya, My Hummers live a VERY peachy lifestyle. They are FAR from abused. My H2's have only been in the rain a hand full of times. I pretty much only drive them on nice, sunny days. They get professionally detailed once a month by a mobile detail service that comes out to my house. My Hummers NEVER leave the pavement, if you want to see "ABUSE" go to youtube and watch what a lot of people do to there Hummer's. My Hummers are garage kept, they are decked out in chrome and have NEVER been off road. I am extremely particalar about my Hummers. I dont eat, or drink in them either. They both look like show room condition.

As far as running Premium Gas..........I think most of the 2008 Hummer owners will back me up on this.....by running premium it dont ping/knock, and it dont downshift as often. When running on regular, the engine dont idle as smooth, and it downshifts more often like its starving for power.

As far as Oil Changes go.......I am NOT Lazy, I get out and I work very hard for everything I have. Nothing has been given to me. So dont judge a book by its cover. Since you know so much, you should KNOW that engines now days are built and run CLEANER than old style engines which required oil changes every 3,000 miles. Nowdays on any make or modle, they dont recommend that. Go purchase a Honda, and look in the owners manual, it says every 7,500 miles. If you own a Hummer, flip thru your onboard computer and if your going to change the oil and it says oil life is 75% remaining then your a nut. I have 2 other vehicles that I drive on rainy days, and both are 2002 models with 6 Cylinder Engines. One has has 178,000 miles and the other has 98,000 miles on it. I change oil every 10,000 miles on those 6 cylinder engines, I have ran synthetic oil in them since I purchased them. I run premium fuel in them as well. Guess what, 98% of everything on the engine is original. I have replaced a couple alternators, a belt, tensor, battery, brakes, minor things. But as far as everything else, its orginal. I own a fleet of trucks as well, and just because you want to change your oil every 3,000 miles when the owners manual and your onboard computer DONT recommend it, thats YOUR CHOICE.......but as far as my choice, I will continue to go by the onboard computer when it tells me its close to a Oil Change. I did not run it past due.........when I had it changed it had around 7% Oil Life remaining and to answer your question, believe it or not, the oil was not that dirty.

All I am saying is........dont go around bashing someone calling them lazy, and abusing there vehicles when you dont know them, or you dont know there lifestyle.

P.S. Also, just wanted to share this little bit of info with you. Due to me being stupid, and not knowing anything, and abusing vehicles, and being lazy, as I mentioned up above, I own a fleet of trucks that run state to state, one of them has 1,059,000 miles on it. Guess what, thats the factory engine. Another has 742,000 miles on it, and its factory engine as well. Those engines are Series 60 Detroit Diesels. I have other engines as well suh as Cummin's that have anywhere from 80,000-----450,000 miles. I use synthetic oil in them as well, and they get changed every 20,000---25,000 miles. Pretty amazing a engine over a million miles for someone who dont know anything or abuses vehicles huh.

While a Hummer may not have a diesel, I doubt very seriously General Motors would design a computer to monitor the oil life and even e-mail it to you once a month from onstar if the system was abusing the engine. Other wise since thats abuse, they would not warranty it.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

[quote=TGCOFTN]Abuse???? Let me tell ya, My Hummers live a VERY peachy lifestyle A pavement Princess? that's fine. They are FAR from abused Not doing your first change until 8700 is abusive. No one here will agree 8700 acceptable . My H2's have only been in the rain a hand full of times Rain does destroy a vehicle pretty quick eh?. I pretty much only drive them on nice, sunny days. They get professionally detailed once a month by a mobile detail service that comes out to my house See the "too lazy" comment I already made. My Hummers NEVER leave the pavement, if you want to see "ABUSE" go to youtube and watch what a lot of people do to there Hummer's Offroading is abuse?? hmmm And changing oil every 8700 is not? . My Hummers are garage kept, they are decked out in chrome and have NEVER been off road Repeat yourself one more time, please, and hey!!!! you're right, hummers were never engineered to go offroad and withstand the rigors of such. I am extremely particalar about my Hummers. I dont eat, or drink in them either. They both look like show room condition Enough a little repetitous eh? ?.

As far as running Premium Gas..........I think most of the 2008 Hummer owners will back me up on this.....by running premium it dont ping/knock, and it dont downshift as often. When running on regular, the engine dont idle as smooth, and it downshifts more often like its starving for power. [color="red"]You have no idea what your talking about, this engine is not in a state of tune that would require premium for proper performance.COLOR]

As far as Oil Changes go.......I am NOT Lazy not when it comes to detailing your vehicle either eh?, I get out and I work very hard for everything I have. Nothing has been given to me. So dont judge a book by its cover I'm not judging anything, merely stating that your first oil change was TERRIBLE at best and if I were you I'd be embarrassed to come on this board and say that for everyone to read, and furthermore, most people looking to change to synthetic are doing it for longer change intervals like you did with your first one, just looking to be lazy. Since you know so much, you should KNOW that engines now days are built and run CLEANER than old style engines which required oil changes every 3,000 miles. Nowdays on any make or modle, they dont recommend that. Go purchase a Honda, and look in the owners manual, it says every 7,500 miles You don't seem to get it, you will not find a single mechanic out there that would do that on his own vehicle, wonder why?. If you own a Hummer, flip thru your onboard computer and if your going to change the oil and it says oil life is 75% remaining then your a nut Nope, not a nut, I just care about my vehicles I have 2 other vehicles that I drive on rainy days, and both are 2002 models with 6 Cylinder Engines. One has has 178,000 miles and the other has 98,000 miles on it. I change oil every 10,000 miles on those 6 cylinder engines, I have ran synthetic oil in them since I purchased them. I run premium fuel in them as well. Guess what, 98% of everything on the engine is original. I have replaced a couple alternators, a belt, tensor, battery, brakes, minor things. But as far as everything else, its orginal. I own a fleet of trucks as well that's too funny, and just because you want to change your oil every 3,000 miles when the owners manual and your onboard computer DONT recommend it, thats YOUR CHOICE.......but as far as my choice, I will continue to go by the onboard computer when it tells me its close to a Oil Change. I did not run it past due.........when I had it changed it had around 7% Oil Life remaining and to answer your question, believe it or not, the oil was not that dirty. omg, to think, maybe you could have made 10,000 eh?

All I am saying is........dont go around bashing someone calling them lazy (not changing your oil until 8700 is the definition of lazy, and abusing there vehicles when you dont know them, or you dont know there lifestyle (dude, keep your sexuality to yourself).

P.S. Also, just wanted to share this little bit of info with you. Due to me being stupid, and not knowing anything, and abusing vehicles, and being lazy, as I mentioned up above, I own a fleet of trucks that run state to state, one of them has 1,059,000 miles on it. Guess what, thats the factory engine. Another has 742,000 miles on it, and its factory engine as well. Those engines are Series 60 Detroit Diesels. I have other engines as well suh as Cummin's that have anywhere from 80,000-----450,000 miles. I use synthetic oil in them as well, and they get changed every 20,000---25,000 miles. Pretty amazing a engine over a million miles for someone who dont know anything or abuses vehicles huh. You're right, I'll start changing oil every 8700....

While a Hummer may not have a diesel, I doubt very seriously General Motors would design a computer to monitor the oil life and even e-mail it to you once a month from onstar if the system was abusing the engine. Other wise since thats abuse, they would not warranty it. YADA YADA YADA, you're life's story is great, thanks for sharing. Now quit being lazy and change your oil every 3k, your truck will thank you!![/QUOTE]

for you to even try to make the argument oil changes with conventional oil every 9k is not only ok, but will help an engine last into the hundreds of thousands of miles is an absolute joke. I'm hoping anyone reading this that doesn't know much about cars takes what you have written with a grain of salt. This is the absolute worst information I've ever seen anyone recommend on the net regarding oil changes, Congrats.

Last edited by hotstang46` : 04-04-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Tell ya what Hotstang.........I am gonna be the "mature one". I am just going to ignore anything you say. You act very childish, and very immature.
Say what you what to say, cause I personally dont care. I am just here to read the message boards and write back and forth to others. I am not here to act immature and sit and argue and play games. So anything else you say will be ignored. Its hard to do this, because in all honesty, I want to fire back at you, but like the old saying "Its HARDER to do right, than it is to do wrong" and I will prove I am much more mature than you.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

TGCOFTN.......... That's fine if you don't respond, it will allow you to save what little face you have left after stating your 9k oil change policy and your reasoning as to why it's not only ok but recomended.

You're missing the point here. I'm not merely bashing you just to bash you. I've never posted anything like this on the site before, see my posts. The first thing that I thought when reading your post was some newb is going to read this garbage and think it's ok to change his oil at 9k. So I called ya out, as I'm sure other responsible members on here would have. You absolutely blindsided me when you actually wrote back trying to further make an argument for that non sense. You flat out deserve it bud. As I already said, that is the single worst piece of advise I have EVER seen on the net regarding an oil change. I hope you keep that to yourself in the future.

And as one Forest Gump said "stupid is as stupid does".
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

As I said before, I am going to ignore you, but let me ask your ignorent ass something. What the hell do you think GM puts a oil life meter in a vehicle for?

Why do you think it counts down and tells you how much oil life you have? Obviously its DOING ITS JOB like its supposed too.

When your gas hand moves closer to E what do you do? put gas in it. I mean come on dude, use a little common sense, this is the year 2009, you are still in the 1940's back when cars needed oil changes every 3,000 miles.

Nowdays engines run and burn CLEANER which means your oil stays cleaner longer.

You can change your oil as often as you want, but you dont need to go around bashing someone because they dont change there oil like you. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, NO ONE IS THE SAME. For example, you run regular unleaded, does that give me a right to bash you? Of course not, its YOUR choice, its YOUR Hummer, you can do whatever you want. I run Premium in mine, sure the owners manual may not say it requires it, but guess what, its MY CHOICE. Just because each and everyone of us have our own choices that dont give you the right to go around bashing someone.

Both of my Hummers are finaned thru GMAC at 0% Interest, but just because someone else may have there Hummer financed at 2.9 or 5.9% that dont give me the right to call them names and say they are stupid cause they didn't get the GMAC special finance. Maybe there was a reason they didn't get the 0% maybe there credit was not the best, but either way, its there life, there hummer, and its there choice. I dont have my nose stuck all in your business, and why you have your nose in my business I have NO IDEA.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I have to agree that we have been brainwashed into changing oil more often than we have to. In the old days engines had looser tolerances, more blow by and it was with ethly leaded gas. The 1969 Boss 429 Mustang recommended every 900 miles for oil changes (nine hundred that's right) in the owners manual, but times have changed and so have engines and oil. That is one car I wish I would have kept, but not much room for kids and a growing family! Today engines run much cleaner and I use the oil change reminder on the dash. I also have a company with a fleet of trucks and we use 7000 miles for the gas trucks and do the recommended every 8000 miles on our Caterpillar diesel engines factored down by the start stop cycles or 200 hours, whichever comes first.
As for gas, the owners manual "recommends premium fuel" for the '08 and '09 H2s but says regular 87 octane is OK.

Hummer, like nothing else

Last edited by HummerMann : 04-04-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well Said Hummerman,

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who goes by the oil life meter. GM puts that on most all there vehicles (Escalades, Tahoe's, Denai's, Yukons, etc.) and maybe I may look at it the wrong way, but I feel GM puts that on there for a reason, and I think if it damaged your engine, or would harm it, they would not put the oil life meter on them because if it abused the engine, why would they put 100,000 mile warranty on them.

------------------------------------------
I want to add this information for everyone to read, cause there was words going back and forth. But the truth is I am not here to bash anyone, I dont wont to cause problems, and I want to get along with everyone, but the truth is, we are all creatures of habits, we all have our own little ways, some may use regluar unleaded, others use premium, some like regular oil, others like synthetic, some may like Red Hummers, others may like Black, yellow, white, or whatever........but just because we all like different things, and we do things differently dont give anyone the right to bash you because no one is alike. I joined this message board back in 2007 and have always been on good terms with everyone and never had any problems. I would really like to keep it that way, and be friends with everyone and not argue, and bash people for being different. I am here to read the message boards, and to get along with everyone...........let there be peace.

2007 Hummer H2
2008 Hummer H2
Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Meh.....I change my oil when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes on....
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBob
Meh.....I change my oil when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes on....

Nice to know I am not the only one, I normally wait till around 5---7% and then change it.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

I dont disagree with anyone. I guess I'm a neurotic one. I change every 3K.Yup, old school! But Im one of those guys that never lets the tank go below 1/4. I put leather conditioner on the seats every month, rotate the tires every 8K or so,change the wiper blades yearly, etc. I probably over do it, but I'm a believer in maintenance. Or maybe I just love my Hummer that much!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I use monitor but, also take into consideration climate, how rig has been used, and if at least oil filter was changed mid-stream along with air filter check or replaced. Synthetic oil does not break down during idle time which is why I use Royal Purple products in anything on my H2 that uses some type of lubrication.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

I don't change my oil. I'm trying to see how long it'll go
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstang46`
3000 miles either way

Time for you to step into the 21st century. 5-7k miles with dino oil, 7-10k with full synthetic for average daily driving. You can rant in big bold print with baseless, outdated opinion until the cows come home, but you're looking dumber and dumber with every post you make on this subject.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pure_Justice is on a distinguished road

HummerJim......Thanks for the update. Glad to see you are enjoying your Hummer like the rest of us. I too am coming up on my 1 year anniversary in a couple of months on my 2008 SUT. Although I have changed my oil several times within that time period, its only because I travel from New Jersey to Virginia every other day. I love being in my H2. I think changing your oil is based on your comfort level.

Glad you are happy with your H2 and that your doing well.

Regards,
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled
I dont disagree with anyone. I guess I'm a neurotic one. I change every 3K.Yup, old school! But Im one of those guys that never lets the tank go below 1/4. I put leather conditioner on the seats every month, rotate the tires every 8K or so,change the wiper blades yearly, etc. I probably over do it, but I'm a believer in maintenance. Or maybe I just love my Hummer that much!

Nothing wrong with LOVING YOUR HUMMER!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

CUZICAN is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGCOFTN
As I said before, I am going to ignore you, but let me ask your ignorent ass something. What the hell do you think GM puts a oil life meter in a vehicle for?

Why do you think it counts down and tells you how much oil life you have? Obviously its DOING ITS JOB like its supposed too.

When your gas hand moves closer to E what do you do?

Just a FYI on these computers you like to trust. Be wary of the fuel range on this vehicle. I've usually never trusted these before but was on a long road trip and trying to push my stops. Had over a 10 mile cushion from the computer's range and the distance the Nav said to gas station I was trying to make it to and guess what, engine died 3 miles short.