H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Hummer Professional

charles06 is on a distinguished road
Default Swaybars, Trailing Arms, Tie-Rods Upgraded

Hi all,

Just upgraded my swaybars and trailing arms with Hotchkis units, and switched from Cognito tie-rods to Kryptonite. Amazing difference in handling. I wasn't sure if the sways would help much, but after a week of driving, I can say that the truck is definitely flatter going around corners, and power hook-up is better coming out. Obviously, it's no sports car, but it was a worthwhile improvement.

The Cognito tie-rods served me well for a few years, but they were getting ready to fail. Plus, the design of the Kryptonite units is better, IMO. And, yes, the bushings in the trailing arms squeek, even when lubed, but not bad enough to worry about.

I went with the Hotchkis sways designed for stock use, as the proper drop-links are already supplied with the Fabtech lift.

Hope this helps anyone who has considered this.

Charles
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swaybars, Trailing Arms, Tie-Rods Upgraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles06
Hi all,

Just upgraded my swaybars and trailing arms with Hotchkis units, and switched from Cognito tie-rods to Kryptonite. Amazing difference in handling. I wasn't sure if the sways would help much, but after a week of driving, I can say that the truck is definitely flatter going around corners, and power hook-up is better coming out. Obviously, it's no sports car, but it was a worthwhile improvement.

The Cognito tie-rods served me well for a few years, but they were getting ready to fail. Plus, the design of the Kryptonite units is better, IMO. And, yes, the bushings in the trailing arms squeek, even when lubed, but not bad enough to worry about.

I went with the Hotchkis sways designed for stock use, as the proper drop-links are already supplied with the Fabtech lift.

Hope this helps anyone who has considered this.

Charles
I second the bit about going from Cognito to Kryptonite...big difference...way tighter handling. I ran the Cognitos for two years...good at first, but loose as a drunk goose and ready to fail towards the end.

Sway bars? Hmmmm...I just recently did everything you outlined (plus a Fabtech steering stabilizer) except the sway bars. Maybe that will be my Christmas present to myself along with brakes and rotors.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Hummer Professional

I honestly can't express how differently the truck drives. I keep finding myself testing it in corners to see if I'm imagining things. It's awesome!

You can tell upon picking up the new bars, then the stock ones, that there would be a difference. The new ones are much heavier. Not much of an increase in overall diameter. The difference is in the wall thickness. Don't ask me the numbers, as I don't remember.

I kind of broke the cardinal rule of not doing everything at once in order to see which mod made the most difference, but I don't really care. It's a huge improvement.
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Hummer Expert

tyler1bo is on a distinguished road

Pics!!!
AMP Research Steps
10" JL Audio sub w/ box and amp
Truxxx Lift 2.5" F-1.5" R
4" Rancho Lift
Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
Spare Removed
RealWheels Eliminator Kit w/o hooks
Defenderworx hooks
Body matched grille
Ford Raptor 6.2L emblem
GS Creations Plexi-glass tail light and front turn tint
RealWheels Oversized Black Hood Handles
Recon Smoked Cab lights
More...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Hummer Professional

I'll take some if I get a chance. Really not much to see other than some black bars. I didn't do any cute colors or powdercoating, etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Hummer Authority

Where did you pick up your sway bars and what did you pay? I did a quick search and came up with GStyle4U for $880.

http://www.gstyle4u.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee...H2%20%26%20SUT
Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Just found them at Hummer Parts Club for $549: http://hummerpartsclub.com/mm5/merch...Category_Code=

That might be the winner.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 AM
Hummer Professional

I'm fairly certain my shop ordered them straight from Hotchkis. If that sounds wrong, let me know and I'll find out where they got them from.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Just found the receipt from my shop. I'm still fairly certain they were purchased from Hotchkis, but I know I paid $649 for the kit. If you already have the longer drop-links, there is no need to purchase anything differently than what you would for a stock truck.