H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

New GM tail guards are now attached to the body
with screws,No more 3m tape Old#89006800 new
#17801241.I think its a good thing.Unless you
grow not to like them.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

New GM tail guards are now attached to the body
with screws,No more 3m tape Old#89006800 new
#17801241.I think its a good thing.Unless you
grow not to like them.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I think the old style was an ingenious design. Suppose your off roading through thick brush and a branch got wedged between the tail lens and the guard. As you continue forward the tape would eventually let go and the guard would pull away from the truck on the outside edge and then fold open like a book on those 2 metal strips on the inside edge releasing the branch. If both sides were secure with screws and a branch got wedged in there it could pull the gaurd off the truck with the screws causing some body damage. With the old design you would just have to replace the 3m tape and either straighten the 2 metal strips or replace them also. I think your truck would suffer less damge with the old system.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

The screw design is great too. It will take more preasure to break loose, but if they are like the ones on the SUT (thanks BTW Parts Guy), if this brach is big enough it will still pull away. The screw goins into this rubber part (not sure what you call this, and it expands a little to hold it in place. I'm sure if i pulled hard enough it would come loose, but not as easily as the 3m tape that I had to fix twice during my 03 ownership.

Great new design, you just have to drill some holes.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

originally posted by PhilD,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The reality is that apart from when driving backwards and even then, the tail light light guards are more for show than anything else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, I agree with you. It would probably be a rare instance when a tail light lens gets broken and it would probably be when you were backing up as you said.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is embarrassing though, is when people grab hold of them or lean against them and they almost fall off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That happened to me a week after I bought my H2. One of the yo yo's I work with was getting the "tour" of the truck and he grabbed the tail guard by the outside rail and then leaned away from the truck popping the tape and causing the guard to pull around towards the tail gate and in turn bending the 2 metal inside support brackets. But that wasn't the worst of it. I opened the tailgate afterwards without realizing the tail guard was in the way now and I got a nice knick in my (at the time) 1 week old paint. I bent the brackets back to straight and replaced the tape and remounted the bracket. What was really funny was when I told him he owed me $250.00 for a new set of tail guards because those brackets were not available he almost had a stroke.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Authority

JamesT is an unknown quantity at this point

Phil,

You are dead wrong about this. Although many malls and parking areas have a maintenance crew on staff that are responsible for tree maintenance, I have had several close calls with tree branches while both backing in to a parking space as well as backing out. Without my tail light guards I can only imagine the horror of having the lens sctratched or worse...broken out. As H2 owners I feel we need to unite, and petition area malls to keep tree branches, scrubs, and other potentially hazaredous shrubbery trimed to a safe level so that we may avoid this type of disaster.

In closing, Tail Light Gurads are an essential accessory for the true H2 enthusiast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Spike, the easy solution would be not to have them at all

The reality is that apart from when driving backwards and even then, the tail light light guards are more for show than anything else. Not as though there is anything wrong with that, I've got them, but I've never seen a tail light get broken by a branch or anything, although I'm sure it happens.

What is embarrassing though, is when people grab hold of them or lean against them and they almost fall off. Words like "It only looks tough" come to mind </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
My mistake James, I forgot how dangerous malls could be </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HAHAHAHA!! You deserved that one James!

Tail light guards. No child could climb a hummer without them.