H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

hotstang46` is on a distinguished road
Default Is it hard to put on Billet Door handles and Bezels?

I would like to purchase some billet handles and bezels but am worried that I would have to remove the interior trim panels on all the doors, which would be a major P I T A. How involved of an install is it?...If it's real bad, I'll go for the plastic stick on bezels and keep the stocker handles.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: Is it hard to put on Billet Door handles and Bezels?

It is difficult. You need to be very mechanically inclined as door panel comes off and much manipulating of parts.

It was not as bad as putting billet bezels around outside mirrors but, tough enough.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
It is difficult. You need to be very mechanically inclined as door panel comes off and much manipulating of parts.

It was not as bad as putting billet bezels around outside mirrors but, tough enough.

TAZ

Do you mean those billet bezels around outside mirrors ???

'cause I just bought 'em...

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES

Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:

TAZ

well, that's not what I wanted to hear. I just bought both the billet bezels and handles. I was considering just going with the putco covers, but figured to do it right.

I have no problems picking up a wrench. But dang, I was really hoping I didn't have to remove interior door panels. I know that from others cars those damn nipples or whatever the heck is holding them on in this vehicle tend to break. Anyone have any recomendations on this procedure?

Chris
Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH would be a best bet to attack this with some suggestions. I did mine the way I normally do most things I just attack it and figure it out as I go. It's OK but, not neccesarily the good way but, hey it is in my DNA and why my rig is such one of a kind. Also as a rice and soybean farmer you have allot of equip. to deal with and paying $50 to $100 an hour for mechanics is just to rough. I learned to just do it.

I would say it would not be a bad idea to ask your Hummer shop what it may cost. You could PM Dragon a member who has gotten so busy he does not get to sign on much anymore but, he does answer PM's. He has gotten real good at taking my doors apart. The big problem I had was the wiring to the door panel controls are to short in my opinion. There are some wire holders on the inside of door on the door itself that you can pull more slack. One of the holders is real close to door hinge and could be overlooked which I did at first. Be careful when pulling on panel when you get it loose because you can pull the wire holders on door and break them. If Hummer made these mistakes be sure you are not charged for this mistake.

I would be happy to PM you on questions as you go or right here so all can benefit. But, again Dragon has become an expert compared to me but, I have done it several times so Dragon could be your secopnd line of offense tackling this if you want. I'm not to proud to say he is better than me as he does these things everyday all day in his customizing shop. We paint only when the rig is so stripped it looks factory dipped. This last job we are going to strip it to be able to media blast it to be able to see every smallest imperfection in the body. Orange and some others now how big and hard that kind of strip down is.

Hope this is helpful. I can say Dragon and I have almost completely dissambled my H2 time and time again adding equip. when sponsors update their product or we figure out something new we want to do. Like I have mentioned before we now have the 3rd paint job on my rig and will do a new, most likely the last one, 4th paint job next summer for hopefully SEMA 2009 as we have many in negotiations. The shop competition for spring SEMA 2010 where GM chooses only 20 of all applications sent in. We were picked for 2006 competition but, while loading on trailer had an accident with custom center dash with 12" touchscreen cracking and the dash took 7 weeks to build so had no hopes to repair or build new one. The dash part now would take a hammer strike or more to break as some new layering material that Dragon decided to try worked.

If I get well and feel good enough I plan to be at The Texas Mile in March 2009 trying to set a land speed record for SUV's on the 1 mile speed trap. I mention these things to only qualify our skill on the H2. I decide on power adders etc. myself so no one is responsible for a disaster except the owner. I'm looking at 16lbs. of boost with water methanol inj. with some other things like parts help from Allen Nelson of Nelson Performance. I cannot do any internal work on engine as the class is stock with power adders only. Speed held right now for couple years has been 135mph by a Tahoe. I have done that now with just 6lbs. of boost with my own custom wideband tuning using HPTUNERS software who are a sponsor and have been great. I have upgrades for life of the H2, in theory that is. I do love the software. I plan to set a speed that will stand for a long time if I do not kill myself trying first. Aerodynamics is a problem on H2 but, I'm relying on tire changes, weight of rig, and oddly enough some drag options to keep rig on the ground. I'm not allowed to change the normal design of the rig being used.

Well to long as usual but, hopeful informative.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Hummer Authority

Chris I forgot start at the bottom of the panels and pull loose their. Work your way up and then lift up once popped loose. Take screw off from behind inside door handle first. Sorry forgot about that being first. Main thing is just take your time and think it through. You really do not need to use much force because if you do you may have over looked a fastner. It really takes more finess than muscle and that includes while reaching around windows in door etc.

TAZ
Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Chris I forgot start at the bottom of the panels and pull loose their. Work your way up and then lift up once popped loose. Take screw off from behind inside door handle first. Sorry forgot about that being first. Main thing is just take your time and think it through. You really do not need to use much force because if you do you may have over looked a fastner. It really takes more finess than muscle and that includes while reaching around windows in door etc.

TAZ

Hey thanks for the advise. I as a general rule will never take my vehicle to a dealer. Other than the fact that I seem to enjoy the aggravation and frustration of working on a vehicle , I've seen some absolute nitwit things done by some techs. I realize most techs may in fact be on their game, but I just assume do something myself to make sure it's done right.

I just hate taking off door panels on a vehicle that I have not previously done so, again, seems plastic clips and that always break. I to attack and figure it out. Generally things aren't too hard to figure out, just a pain in the azz.

So I'm assuming the hardest part of the procedure here is getting off the door panel? Once I'm in there will it be self explanitory on how to swap the handles and bezels?

thanks for the advise....
chris

And oh yea, i don't even have her yet. i couldn't find an 08 white Sut with sedona interior anywhere close. It's about 2 thousand miles from me right now. I hope to have her at the end of next week. I have a bunch planned for her right away, I'm excited..

-rear spare delete (i've read is all I need for this is new rear tow hoops and
just relocate the plate)
-Chrome door bezels, handles, side vent, hood vent
-HID fog and headlight conversion
-Factory NAV (just bought everything brand new from ebay, head unit and 09 disc for $475 shipped)
-Chrome 22's with 37's bfg ta ko's I think
-Forge-Tec Light bar ($450 off of ebay, bit up a bit...I already repainted it
and polished out all the chrome, It looks better than new!!!)
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Chris that is the way to go at it. You love the rig more it seems when you have busted some knuckles.

Do not miss undertand now on this bezzel and handle project. The panel is not the easiest but, not the hardest either. When you get to taking the nuts off the studs and unhooking and hooking the handle pull wire as well as other mechanicals all of it is challenging.

Chris one thing I would really recommend is if you want billet bezzels around outside mirrors spend the money on the part and do it while you have the door all apart. Any upgrade you could want that has anything to do with door disassembly do it now and do it just one time. You will need extra hands to do mirror bezzle change. In all this you will be working around the door windows needing to hook the power to the loose door panel to move the window out of the way just enough too get to a nut. There will be painful contorsions reaching around the windows.

The rear doors seem to be a little easier but, may just be my view. Again though just do all the upgrades you may think you want now. I was so sharp I took my front doors apart 4 times. 1)door handles & surronds 2) mirror bezzels 3) back apart a second & third time to get power correct on project #1 4) Yeah you guessed it to get power working when project #2 was done.
I can say this is not a problem for me anymore, I have Dragon do it he is really good at no joke. He is extremely analytical and spends much planning the attack like a war on the custom work he does.

It is the one best thing I feel that makes him a good designer on his custom work. Many people including myself bring a rig and just turn him loose. My youngest girl a few years back had a late model Tiburon and with little input from her she told him to just make it a nice looking tuner car. If anyone should every think about working with Dragon he has a huge photobucket of pics he will send. He customizes anything down to even a golf cart a lady wanted a wicked audio/video system for her husbands birthday and Dragon did a great job.
Good Luck & make updates,

TAZ
Old 12-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

TAZ, Thank you.....good advise about the mirrors. I think I'm going with the putco covers though, and see if I like the look. But ya, I'd like to only do this once. I too have moved in stages on other vehicles, at least it gets easier everytime you do it though.

I'll repost on this thread if I have any questions. I appreciate your time. Again, I'm just looking forward to modifying. (as much fun as buying the truck itself)