H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

rifle is off the scale

Are the K and N type air filters worth getting? I am interested in anyone's experiences with these rather than the manufacturers "hype".
Old 05-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

rifle is off the scale

Are the K and N type air filters worth getting? I am interested in anyone's experiences with these rather than the manufacturers "hype".
Old 05-01-2003, 11:49 PM

OUSUCKS is off the scale

I have yet to find one...do they make them for the H2 yet?
Old 05-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

OUSUCKS , I just check the K & n website and there no air filter for the H2.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OUSUCKS:
I have yet to find one...do they make them for the H2 yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I contacted K&N and was advised that don't make one YET, but hopefully they will soon have a replacement filter for use with the Hummer H2.

Contrary to the information that PhilD offered, I have previously done extensive research into the qualities and benefits of using K&N filters, and was quite impressed. Reports by highly qualified experts, well-known professional racing authorities and many satisfied customers convinced me to buy one for my GMC Denali. The air filter had a 10-year/million mile warranty and only required "servicing" (cleaning and re-oiling) every 50,000 miles. The information I gathered indicated that the filters have scientifically been proven to filter much smaller particles of dirt and dust than stock, disposable air filters --- and they ALSO allow higher air flow rates while doing so.

Even with a minimal amount of research, it was quickly apparent that K&N is, if not the best name if filtration --- then definitely ranked at the top of companies making filters.

I think that if you ask most mechanics, they will have similar opinions... or you might check out:
http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm
if you want to learn more about K&N filters. Of course you might think that is all hype?

I also use K&N oil filters exclusively because they are reportedly far superior to those made by Fram, etc. After re-reading this post, maybe I should get a PR job working for K&N???

Ed
Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 PM

buddy is off the scale

K & N filters have always worked for me...at least in my head. I always liked to think the k&n did make a differnce in performance. Its takes a lot more than just air filter swap to get a SOTP feel though.

I read performance magazine's test article on a Vette once where the filter was entirly removed and trap times improved as well as speed. The K & N is supposed to flow more air. More air ...more power. More power sells.

For now, I'm going to leave to stock filter and airbox alone. I doubt if I would ever tell a diffence.

I can tell what will kill the performance though, 37" MT/R's. The higher gearing from the tire swap is like throwing the anchor out, causing the transmission to seach back and forth. Second thoughts now..

buddy
Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy:
K & N filters have always worked for me...at least in my head. (clip) For now, I'm going to leave to stock filter and airbox alone. I doubt if I would ever tell a diffence.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all the wildly exaggerating hype we get from every direction, it is difficult to sort out the facts. Judging only by the 90+ percent of entries racing in Baja-type events using K&N filters tends to convince me. I thought that it was an acknowledged fact that K&N filters ruled... Maybe I am a victim of hype?

As PhilD said though, it is a moot point until K&N makes a filter to replace the stock element on our H2's. However, I don't think I will buy into the hype from the aftermarket folks marketing the cold air intake units for the H2. Cost hundreds of dollars with very questionable real-life results. Maybe if they get better at hype they'll get my money? Until then, I'll just wait for the K&N replacement for the stock air filter.

Ed
Old 05-04-2003, 06:51 PM

buddy is off the scale

TheGoodHummerMan,

This may be of some interest.
air filter

Hope this link works.

Buddy
Old 05-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Buddy,

Oh great, now even more factors to further complicate matters.

The press release isn't totally clear to me, and I wonder if the Donaldson filter for the H2 is a re-useable/cleanable filter like the K&N filters? I wonder when GM will make them available and if GM will be the sole source for them...

It sounds like the filter will be a big improvement over currently used filters. If that isn't just "hype". The fact that GM is directly involved gives Donaldson added respectability for sure.

Plus, current availability, is a major PLUS factor.

Thanks a lot for the additional info!

Ed
Old 05-04-2003, 07:54 PM

buddy is off the scale

Ed,

I understand completely.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

buddy