H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Install

Some have asked for it, so here it is. It is long, and there are very few photos.

First, let me give thanks to the following for their input; not only by answering a ton of questions to help me decide to purchase the Pioneer, but also for their ideas, suggestions and hints on aiding the installation of the NAV unit.
HummerNewbie
Mark805
BuzzH3
Agriv8r

Hope I didn't forget anyone.

Prior to starting installation, I soldered all the wires between the Peripheral adapter and the radio.
Grounds (EXCEPT FOR THE CAMERA),
Hot leads (B+ - yellow, and Acc ? Red), etc.,
Speaker wires,
Amp signal wire,
Mute wire,
Illumination wire with Z1 adapter in place,
Chime Adapter from Peripheral.

The camera ground and hot are connected to the box, so it is best to just butt connect the ground wire for the camera splitter box after it is installed and the wire is run under the dash. The power wires for the camera have an inline fuse that you can separate, so you can solder this wire into the ACC wires, and still run the hot wire under the dash.

Radio Removal:
1. Apply the park brake, and place the transmission lever in 1st gear. (This allows room for the center trim panel to be removed, and for a place to sit the NAV unit during install.)
2. Using a small plastic tool (a heavy plastic spoon or knife will do), insert it at the top of the center trim panel, where it is fitted to the I/P cover (just above the A/C vents).
3. Pull back on the plastic tool, to allow your hands to get behind the panel, and then pull it back. It is held in place by six fasteners; no screws.
4. Don?t pull too far back, you have to disconnect the following connectors:
Hazard flasher switch connector,
4/4 indicator switches? connector,
HVAC switch connectors at the bottom,
Accessory plugs connectors,
Any off-road or roof mounted lights that might be installed.
NOTE: There are HVAC connectors, one gray, and one black that are interchangeable between connections. However, the back of the trim panel identifies where the black and gray connectors are inserted into the trim panel.
5. Remove the four screws retaining the radio, remove the radio outward, disconnect the 24-pin and the 12-pin connectors, AM/FM antenna wire, and completely remove the radio.

Rear camera install:
The wiring harness from the camera contains four wires, two grounds (one for power and one for the camera signal), one ignition hot wire, and the camera signal wire. They all end in a 4-pin, non-waterproof connector; therefore, in my opinion, it has to end inside the passenger compartment, away from the elements, where it plugs into a small splitter box. The splitter box splits out the wires from the camera into a hot/ground wires and one wire with RCA connectors on both ends.
My original idea was to run the wire under the vehicle, on top of the left frame rail. I tried this, but the wire was not long enough to reach into the vehicle from the engine compartment.

Camera Mounting and wire routing:
1. Cleaned off the top of the trailer hitch, and allowed it to dry.
2. Mounted the camera to the bracket.
3. Pulled the cover off the two-sided tape on the bracket and pressed it into place.

4. I then secured the camera and bracket to the trailer hitch with a large tie strap.
5. I installed about six feet of automotive black conduit to the camera wire harness for protection.
6. Routed the harness and conduit to the left of the camera, through the slot next to the trailer hitch connector.

7. Pulled the conduit and harness up, and tie strapped it to the trailer hitch harness.
8. Routed the wire over to the left rear corner. (Keep as far away from the muffler as possible.
9. I tie strapped the camera harness to the small factory harness in the left rear corner, under the car.
10. Lower the left rear seat back.
11. Slide the driver?s seat fully forward.
12. Remove the kick panel molding.
13. Remove the front sill molding.
14. Remove the center sill molding (note: the front sill molding must be removed in order to remove the rear sill molding). Both moldings are just a pull and remove type.
15. At the rear of the vehicle, I pulled the left rear lower compartment trim panel away from the vehicle; I did NOT remove it totally. All I wanted was access to the left rear part of the vehicle.
16. With the panel back, you will notice a square corner with a large square hole. Inside this chamber is an oval hole toward the front of the vehicle. Drop your fish wire down this hole, and the wire will come out under the vehicle.
17. Attach the camera wire that was left under the left rear corner of the vehicle to this fish wire and pull up through the holes out into the rear compartment area.
18. I then fished the wire toward the front of the vehicle, behind the lower trim panel and then under the carpeting. (At this point, I realized the camera wire would not make it to under the I/P.)
19. I installed the camera splitter box under the very rear of the left driver?s seat track. With a power seat, there is no interference with the seat operation; can?t say so for a manual seat, so check first.
20. I then did a small slit in the carpet right next to where the splitter box is mounted.
21. I then fished the camera wire under the carpeting and plugged it into the splitter box.
22. I then fished the three wires (power/ground/camera signal) through the slit in the carpet toward the outside of the vehicle.
23. I ran the three wires under the edge of the carpeting, up the kick panel, over the steering column, and into the radio area.
24. I installed the rear compartment trim panel; make sure to pull the outer weather seal over the trim panel (for reference look at the right weather-strip to trim panel that was not touched.
25. Installed the rear sill molding. Make sure to route the shoulder harness on the outside of the trim panel when installing.
Do not install the kick panel or driver?s door sill molding at this time.