H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Anybody else have there front diff leak...no, make that POUR out fluid!

Let me give you a scenario of what happened to me in the last 24 hours. Friend called, two cars stuck on dirt road to their ranch way back in the mountains. Ask me drive them into ranch through land slides and water coming over the road so that they can get to a backhoe at the ranch to clear the road. So we leave last night, plan to stay overnight and in the morning fire up the tractor and clear the road. The road was in bad shape to say the least. It may not have been at the hummers limits but it was certainly approaching the limit of MY ability. It was rough and the water deep but I never touched ground so damage is not possible. We stayed up too late and drank too much but still rose at 6 a.m. to go look get a look during daylight. We determine we need to go buy some 12 inch pipe to lay to run the water under the road. AT the building supply place I noticed fluid under the h2 but figured it couldn't be mine, but I checked to be sure and sure enough found my front diff leaking....I'm 60 miles from home!! I called my buddy who was a H2 mechanic and asked what to do. He told me to go buy a bunch of gear oil and limp home. Stop and fill it every 20 miles he says. To make a long story short I will omit the other disasters of the day (that included an ******* cop and a diesel backhoe that ran out of gas).....and tell you that it took me 6 quarts of gear fluid to get home and by the time I got here it was no longer a heavy drip but rather a steady stream of fluid.

Anybody else have this happen? It seems to be coming from the seam in the center of the dif.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

To clarify - this is a Gov imposed cap. Any more than 15 rigs triggers the requirement for a environmental impact study.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:06 PM

ShaggyZR2 is off the scale

What DRTY? You want another owning, 007 style.

I'll own you like I've owned the "core" group 1000 times over.

I've capped water beetles from my pontoon at 500 yards with night vision goggles using a 40 cal in my left hand. I can certainly deal with you.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Sorry to keep posting, can someone provide me with the number for GM customer assistance and GMPP. My maual is of course in the Hummer.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Dealership just called. They say the warranty company will not be covering repairs! WTF?

They said becuase it's due to 4 wheel driving.

Excuse me but did they not know they were selling me a warranty on a four wheel drive?

I have fricken smoke rolling from my ears!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Bondage is off the scale

This is the original me (sighing along). Ken, that's a load of bull. We didn't restrict anything. All were welcome up to a cap limit which is there for two simple reasons - more than 15 rigs makes it too difficult to do the trail in the time we have, and the NPS requires a permit to be drawn and has way to many restrictions on a group of more than 15 rigs (environmental impact reports and other BS - all of which cost money and take more time than we have).

I'm calling BS here. No one was "excluded." Anyone could join in and come along. 15 people did. It's like saying you are "excluded" from a single pot men's room 'cause someone is already in there....

But you know and understand that already. This is just a retroactive excuse for the crap that has been flung our way.

Sean
Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
Where's Klaus with the issue #?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us have to work for a living.

I'll see if there is anything in Techline tonight.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Just to let you all know - I recieved a check today from GMPP reimbursing me for the entire cost of repairs less my $200 deductable. Happy GMPP customer!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

GMPartsGuy, you have a PM. Wait till you see how many times she's been in the shop! Last it was replacing my transmission and cooling system when the tranny cooler blew up into the radiator. *sigh* I love her anyway!

OC, I'm confused. Your talking tranfer case and I'm talking about my front diff. Is there something I should be doing about the transfer case and driveshaft also?

I just want to say thank you guys so much for your help and advice. Your a wonderful resource.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bondage*:
Racer,
I hate to bring this up in the open forum. But I ORDERED you not talk to the "core moab group" without my permission. You know how I feel about them. You said three times in the Mojave thread that you were going to bed.

Now get to bed or I'm dropping you from the PMs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoever you are.....oh nevermind. *sigh*
Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A run of '03s had a problem with the front diff cracking. Mine leaked where the halves come together but didn't have a crack. They still replaced it because they couldn't stop if from leaking.

Later '03s and on shouldn't have the same problem as it was a known issue and action was taken.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

If I had my way anybody could come. Even Alec But I don't hold the permit. I do know theres a waiting list. I don't know what happens if they catch you over the limit. Fines? Jail? Would you become somebodys biotch? But your not serious anyway!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the referenced driveshaft and front diff problems were fixed on later models?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Dave Compson is off the scale

I dont have the numbers you need, but i do want to say how bad i feel for you. This sucks big time. Hope things work out.

Dave
Old 02-08-2006, 07:54 AM

ShaggyZR2 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racer-X:
As for Alec attending - you can't blame others for wanting to exclude him. He intimidates people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alec doesn't intimidate me. I can own him like I've owned nearly every "core" vet on this forum. I am Bond, and no one messes with Bond.

I've shot emu in South Africa with my 9mm, left handed, from 1000 yards. You think Alec scares me? I once wrestled an alligator on a golf course just to get my ball back. ROTFL. No one intimidates me.

Racer, you now have fallen out of my posse. beavis is my new "right hand man". I will still allow you to go on the desert run. But you will be tenting OUTSIDE of the posse's circle of tents. Also, you are no longer eligible for prizes in 2006.

Sorry everyone for bringing this into the public spotlight. I tried to keep it in the Mojave thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

DRTYFN, that is EXACTLY where mine cracked!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Great....more work to do...

'03 H2
Old 01-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racer-X:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dochummer:
Great....more work to do... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW - It's only 10 15mm bolts to remove that plate and have a good look. Also gives you a great chance to polish the plate! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or an opportunity to try and beat the crap out of it with a sledge hammer, and realize how much it actually takes to bend back the skid plate!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Thanks Dave, Sometimes it helps just to vent, especially to people who understand. A little sympathy goes a long way...lol.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Well, I pulled the skid plate. Theres what I would call a big crack in the casing.

Something else interesting. Theres writing on it...looks like a sharpie pen. Theres a line drawn on it as if to mark the crack to check it's progress, like you would mark a crack in your plaster/sheetrock in your home. However nobody ever mentioned a crack to me.

I would encourage other 03 owners to to pull the skid plate and inspect for cracks. Mine is on the driver side at about 4-5 oclock in relation to the axle.