H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATRH2:
Speaking of Dunes,
I'm going to be in the Outer Banks this summer.
Anybody know where or if you can run on the
dunes and beaches?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am actually going to the OBX this Thursday to do some wheeling. It's about a 6 hour drive for me. The only place open this time of year is Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Buxton, NC. They're not any dunes there I don't think, but there is a nice open area of soft sand. I will take pics and post when I get back.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alldunn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATRH2:
Speaking of Dunes,

I am actually going to the OBX this Thursday to do some wheeling. It's about a 6 hour drive for me. The only place open this time of year is Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Buxton, NC. They're not any dunes there I don't think, but there is a nice open area of soft sand. I will take pics and post when I get back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You can always head north. People have their homes up there and the only way to get there is the beach road. I don't think you can drive on the dunes anywhere down there, anyway.

That's odd it takes you so long to get there, alldunn. It's only 6 hours from VA Beach to Asheville. I guess you come across 64 to Manteo. That stretch after Rocky Mount must be what slows you down. I remember that was a very slow ride.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Alldunn,

You could try the place Ken mentioned earlier, Corolla- my family had a beach home out there and plenty of back roads and fun stuff - just don't hit the wild horses.

It is a long drive though. If your heading toward Hatteras...there is a 4x4 area on the beach or used to be right before the Oregon Inlet bridge. It is flat but wide and has fun ruts.

If you surf, I recommend checking the Kitty Hawk Pier, Rodanthe Pier or the Hatteras Lighthouse area. It should be a fun time love that place!

Surf Report:
http://www.surfline.com/surfline/livecams/getsurfmapsurfbreakreport.cfm?alias=capehatterasca m
Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

ATRH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alldunn:
Speaking of Dunes,

I am actually going to the OBX this Thursday to do some wheeling. It's about a 6 hour drive for me. The only place open this time of year is Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Buxton, NC. They're not any dunes there I don't think, but there is a nice open area of soft sand. I will take pics and post when I get back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll look forward to seing the pics. Looking at places online, seems most our closed in summer.
I'll try Corolla as Ken suggested.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
Emily brought her Land Rover since she got rid of the SUT. And the other gal had her brand new Stealth Gray H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Roxie had her H2 SUV. Three hot mammas out wheelin'! I'm getting heady just thinking about it!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
And Roxie had her H2 SUV. Three hot mammas out wheelin'! I'm getting heady just thinking about it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watcha thinkin' about Tower?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Hummer Messiah

Speaking of Dunes,

I am actually going to the OBX this Thursday to do some wheeling. It's about a 6 hour drive for me. The only place open this time of year is Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Buxton, NC. They're not any dunes there I don't think, but there is a nice open area of soft sand. I will take pics and post when I get back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll look forward to seing the pics. Looking at places online, seems most our closed in summer.
I'll try Corolla as Ken suggested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just follow the directions. The road ends, you turn right to the beach and head up the "Beach Road". As I said before, it's always open. No gate. It's the only way some people can get to their homes. And there's a bunch. Take a rod and reel too. There's sure to be folks fishing.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Speaking of Dunes,

I am actually going to the OBX this Thursday to do some wheeling. It's about a 6 hour drive for me. The only place open this time of year is Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Buxton, NC. They're not any dunes there I don't think, but there is a nice open area of soft sand. I will take pics and post when I get back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You can always head north. People have their homes up there and the only way to get there is the beach road. I don't think you can drive on the dunes anywhere down there, anyway.

That's odd it takes you so long to get there, alldunn. It's only 6 hours from VA Beach to Asheville. I guess you come across 64 to Manteo. That stretch after Rocky Mount must be what slows you down. I remember that was a very slow ride. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am staying in Kill Devil Hills. I definitely want to go down to Cape Hatteras one day to do a little wheeling and see the Cape Hatteras light house since they've opened it back up. I may ride up tp Corolla one day too. We'll just have to see how time goes. Yea Ken from here to the OBX has got to be the longest damn ride to anywhere in NC. I think mainly because it is mostly 2 lane. My folks have a beach house at Oak Island, NC (SE part NC) and I can drive there in about 2:45.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Hummer Messiah

I drove from Rocky Mount to Manteo once. That road was terrible. It took me nearly twice as long as I thought it should. I was really pissed. What mile post are you staying? We're mostly familiar with everything north of 2, which is just after the curve.

Hope you have a great time and get some good pics.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

Ken - check your PM
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

tower! Are you gonna post pics? Or did you photochop the whole weekend? Humm?

Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 PM

KIDZBOX is off the scale

Been to Oceano - got stuck. There's a couple who cruise around all day in a raised Chevy Nova pulling people out for beer money. Beats the heck out of the $200 or more a tow truck would cost.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KIDZBOX:
Been to Oceano - got stuck. There's a couple who cruise around all day in a raised Chevy Nova pulling people out for beer money. Beats the heck out of the $200 or more a tow truck would cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just found a new pass-time for me and the kids this summer! Thanks!
Probably should tow for gas money instead though. Beer is getting cheaper by the day compared to fuel!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

H2 Co-Pilot,

I was thinking about what a lucky guy Kenny is, of course.

Roxie, here are the links to the Oceano Dunes pix. There are really no good action shots. Our videographer is the son of our host, Brian. Brian is also the one who towed the h2 with the broken power steering impeller shaft, so he and his son were gone for most of the day. I will upload mine tonight, but I think I mostly got line-up shots (to busy getting myself unstuck to shoot more). I will check what I have. In the meantime:

http://h2club.org/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/...4/m/7191018531

http://h2club.org/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/...4/m/7041052631
Old 05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

GeneseeMtn is off the scale

Do you have any pics of the Hummer that flipped over during the sand dunes run in Pismo?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Hummer Guru

Nice pics! That looks like it was lots of fun! Some of those H1's are sweet looking! Makes me heady just looking at them! Can't wait to see your pics.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:

Nice pics! That looks like it was lots of fun! Some of those H1's are sweet looking! Makes me heady just looking at them! Can't wait to see your pics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Banned

Old 05-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by myself at thread opener:
Also, FWIW, one of the H2's didn't break a tie rod, but did break the shaft on his power steering impeller. He had to be tugged by an H1 to a repair facility.

Brian Piazza and the Northern Cal Hummer Group made the few of us from So cal feel really welcome. They're a great group! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, I just heard back from Brian about the "rumor" regarding someone rolling their truck. I'm sorry to report that he replied as follows:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From Brian's letter:
Oh no, it was no rumor. The guy that had his steering pump break on Saturday went back out Sunday and rolled it 3 times. I think it is totaled but he thinks it can be repaired. He drove it home but one of the H1 guys saw it on the highway and said it was super tweaked. The rear end looked as if it was not tracking down the road correctly. A shame for sure.

I spoke with him and all I can deduct is that his inexperience contributed to the accident. He was running the bowls (something only an experienced driver should be attempting) and hit some rough bumps mid-dune and slowed down to a stop with the side of his truck facing horizontal to the dune (that is a near guaranteed roll maneuver). His down hill tires slid downward, dug in, and the truck rolled down resting on its roof. They winched it back to its tires. All the tires were flat. They reseated the beads and drove it off the beach.

I have a photo but he has asked me not to send it out until the insurance issue gets resolved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall the drivers name, but I believe he is from either Orange County or the west end of the San Fernando Valley. I'll post photos if and when I get them and permission to post.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
...the side of his truck facing horizontal to the dune (that is a near guaranteed roll maneuver). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean perpendicular(to the face of the dune), not horizontal.

Don't post the photo- EVER!!! Like Alec's tierod video should have been, it must be kept secret. When it comes to Hummer mishaps we must act like the Vatican and suppress the info.