H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-16-2005, 01:52 AM

bob hamilton is off the scale

I have to say XM is versitile. I can go straight from my hummer to my computer in my house and listen. I love it. XL202 is the best!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

XM rocks
Old 12-16-2005, 08:39 PM

RDP145 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by NM H3:
I, personally, think it's a waste. I feel that the music selection is terrible. I was really looking forward to it, thought it would be like Sirius that comes with my Dish Network. Boy, was I wrong. Sound quality is superb, but if it wasn't for the comedy channels I'd never use it.
Why are the songs different on xm? I don't get it,you mean sirius and xm don't play the same bands. I've heard others say the same thing I just don't understand isn't u2 or the rolling stones being played on both?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

It's my understanding they both play generally all the same musical stuff. The music debate seems largely centered around playlists, repetition and channel types/selections.

When it comes to talk and sports, there are some things that are exclusives for XM or Sirius. For example Sirius has the NFL and Howard Stern, XM has MLB, NHL and some other shock jocks.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree and disagree. I couldnt stand XMs "playlist" and never felt like I was actually getting my "monies worth" - but with Sirius I would totally pay a few more bucks to have the GOOD MUSIC selection they offer 24/7.

XM plays music but very little "good music" (as in music and songs you have never heard of) - where as Sirius plays the top billboard favorites everyone knows.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthKarl:
It's my understanding they both play generally all the same musical stuff.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Hummer Guru

The only problem I have with Sirius is this; When you turn it on you always hear a good song so you turn it up a bit. You start jammin to it and then its over - but wait - omg here comes another great song and now your in the mood to jam so you crank it up more and hope you havent arrived to your destination just yet. So you keep listening and low and behold ANOTHER GREAT SONG! Fawk! Now You turn it up all the way and you and everyone around you are going deaf or lovin it - either or - but in any case I always run out of enough volume and time with Sirius radio.

And whats funny is that I was one of those "I will never pay for freakin radio" before I bought my H3. Now I can not live without Sirius in my cars.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by DeLeon:
I didn't want my H3 with XM but the dealer had already ordered with it and they could not take it out, and since I didn't want to order again I just took it... man, that's the best thing that could have happened!! I have not used anything else, not even my 6 cd changer, NO NEED FOR CDs when you have XM!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone.

That sucks that they made you pay for something you did not want. My sales manager got XM in his minivan because that is the way that it came. He didn't have to pay for it but he still has the same radio and he could activate it if he wanted to.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Satellite radio Sucks. Both services Suck.

You know why, because there is not enough time in the day to listen to all of the great programming that is on sat rad.

But then again I am in Philadelphia. We have NO alternative rock station so the choice is clear.

Got to getsiriusinfo.com or orbitcast.com. They have terrestrial (sp?) radion adds that can make you laugh. Free radio is introuble and it shows.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I brought up this thread from a while back (before I was even here). I wanted to add my 2 cents and ask a question or 2.

I think that the quality of the sound on XM is not as great as people say. One thing about me is that I am a musician and I produce my own and others material. Believe me, I know that I am picky.

That being said, I would rather listen to a CD I created from itunes (yes, compressed format converted to CD format) than listen to XM. XM sounds to me like LOW BANDWIDTH.

Here's my question: Does anyone else agree with this and does anyone know if sirius is better with sound?

This has nothing to do with playlist or content, just the quality of the sound put out. And yes, I have tried all of the EQ adjustments.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never had Sirius but have heard from a nomber of people that the sound quality is not as good as XM.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Bully13:
Hi all, I brought up this thread from a while back (before I was even here). I wanted to add my 2 cents and ask a question or 2.

I think that the quality of the sound on XM is not as great as people say. One thing about me is that I am a musician and I produce my own and others material. Believe me, I know that I am picky.

That being said, I would rather listen to a CD I created from itunes (yes, compressed format converted to CD format) than listen to XM. XM sounds to me like LOW BANDWIDTH.

Here's my question: Does anyone else agree with this and does anyone know if sirius is better with sound?

This has nothing to do with playlist or content, just the quality of the sound put out. And yes, I have tried all of the EQ adjustments.

I've had both, I can't tell any difference. I can't tell the difference between CD or XM either. I crank rock. Any differences are minor anyway. Unless you're parked, road noise is the main sound problem in any car. Seriously, consider the environment. It's an H3, not a Beemer 745. With the high frequency wind and tire noise, any smidgeon of difference between XM and top quality sound is of no importance, to me anyway. Sitting back in my recliner at home, I'd agree.

On the road, having the quantity of entertainment from comedy, talk, sports, and numerous music channels completely overwhelms any quality issues, particularly if you're out in the boonies where AM/FM reception is poor.

I sit in the H3 two hours a day. I'd go bonkers without XM. They recently shuffled their lineup and added great programming. 40, 50 and particularly 49 (where I'm usually listening) are awesome. I tried the ipod, just too much work and too limited, kinda like eating your own cooking so to speak. On long trips, or if you commute a lot like I do, being limited to the farm report, djs talking over the great opening riffs, endless furniture/car sales screaming ads or your own music looped is not an option anymore.

I've seen it over and over again. People think paying for XM is stupid, or it would be bad quality or content. Then, when they get a free shot at it, they think it's the best thing since talking movies. Go look at xmradio.com and I bet there's something on there for everyone.

I like getting all the news and talk radio too. I don't like watching the news at home anymore because I've already heard it. The weather, got it on the way to work without listening to call letters being yelled at me every five seconds.

Yup, I'm a satellite radio junky. Git some!
Old 04-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that great responce. I apreciate all that you put into that. I have only had XM for 2 weeks, So I guess I should wait a month or so before I make a decision on it.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Chip is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck BB62:
I can THIRD the fact that Sirius has better rock stations. Either one kicks the dog snot out of CDs, AM, FM and Ipod. I like variety. I drive two hours each day and couldn't live without my XM.

XM has better country. Siruis should bring back their folk channel which really was more non commerical country. The x country and folk channel on XM is a better combination for the Emmylou lovers.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had a choice, knowing what I know now, I would have gone after market and got Sirius, but I do like the XM. I kow I drive from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg twice a month and after crossing the Allegheny mountians the radio choicies are the Bluegrass gosple channel, the Rapp-ing country channel, and All amish all the time channel. I will be driving to Kentucky tomorrow and be very glad I have the XM.

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8
Old 04-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Hummer Guru

I have had both and I know this thread is old news since my last entry. But as of today many months later I still say Sirius wins hands down and has the best music by far. XM wins with talk radio by far on the other hand. Both have thier strengths.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Hummer Expert

SteveRH is an unknown quantity at this point

LIQUID METAL returns to XM on April 17th...
The great equalizer, in my eyes, to Hard Attack on Sirius...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveRH:
LIQUID METAL returns to XM on April 17th...
The great equalizer, in my eyes, to Hard Attack on Sirius...

XM has quite a few new stations coming online later this month.
I still say, XM versus Sirius is as personal as Chevy versus Ford. I have had both, and prefer XM.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Gah, your always so level headed f5fstop. =P (But your right)

I think its also to remember and appreciate the fact that at least we have 2 pretty great choices considering how terrible public radio has become.

Quote:
Originally posted by f5fstop:
I still say, XM versus Sirius is as personal as Chevy versus Ford. I have had both, and prefer XM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Kid Shyleen is off the scale

Ok, IMHO:

I have had both. Sat Radio is definitely a must! I had XM for three years and just recently switched to Sirius in my H3.

XM - Overall better sound quality on all stations. Programming is weak at best. It got too boring to listen to.

Sirius - MUCH better programming. Better text, song info. Some stations sound as good as XM, others sound worse than XM.

I enjoy Sirius a lot more. With XM I kept hearing the tapes roll over...the same programs over and over. I just couldn't take it anymore. With Sirius, the programming is much better. They play a wider variety of music, better music, and more stations geared toward my ear.

So, if you ask me, I'd say go Sirius. Either way Sat Radio is great! Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kid, they've just recently begun changing XM's programing drastically. I had Sirius in our Mini S, loved it. I hated XM until recently BUT XM was better than not having it. XM obviously realizes that it's a war with Sirius and they're being very responsive.