H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

Well, I don't want to put dings in my brand new rig anymore than you do

Seriously, as Tacocat mentions, this is a dangerous sport and over confidence or stupidity (like drinking on the trail) just leads to accidents.

My first trip on Swamp was with my XJ Cherokee which had 6" of lift and ARB lockers front and rear and a winch.
I needed all of this equipment, mainly due to my inexperience.

The second trip is when I had to winch over the guy in the FJ40 who had rolled and was sitting upside down on the trail. His wife had walked for miles to find our camp and her husband was still concussed when we found him.
The idiot had just bought a fully tricked out FJ40 and had no clue how to drive it.

He had driven Swamp Lake alone, with no CB, no extra water, no first aid kit and found himself upside down with cuts and bruises.
Lucky for him I decided to take every bit of recovery gear with me, including two snatch blocks for the winch. I needed both because of the tight nature of the trail I had to go up to the side of the hill, around a big boulder and down to his rig.

I need to get some stuff done to the rig before I'll go anywhere near a trail like Swamp.
Things like getting a CB fitted and some way to mount a Co2 bottle for airing back up my tires.
I'd like to have a winch too, but nobody is making a winch bumper for the H3 yet, although there were rumours of two in the pipe.

I'll get back to you...

-C
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say I love the pure geometry.....I also love puzzles, real life ones, this is really going to lead me in a whole new direction personally.

I grew up in the Supermodified/Sprint car dirt track racing world, I understand making assumptions will get your hurt or worse. So thanks for the observation Tacocat, you can wheel with me anytime.

I am going to look for a compressor as well, we did not use the snatch hooks or the straps, this time anyway. I took a look at the Swamp lake pics that tacocat posted.....skinny! Not sure if that is it, especially if there are no places to go around, eesh.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Great pics Humm, thanks for the report. Wish I could have made it. I'll definitely have to make the next trip. If you and FJ get a trip together I'd love to tag along.

Now let's see some more pics!

Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Hummer Guru

The rest of the pics will be posted on the http://www.norcalhummergroup.org We had at least 4 cameras so we are getting everyones photos together.

Keep checking the website!

And you are welcome to come along!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 PM

humbebe, i wish i had one of you crossing the first river. i thought this one was pretty good though
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Hummer Guru

Here is one!

It's time to buck up little soldier
Old 08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure looks like a great time. Keep the pics coming

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

dukein is off the scale

Awesome!!!!! Can't wait to get my rocker panel, underbody and transfer case prot installed to join the fun.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Oh look!!! Another Nor Cal H3 owner!! Welcome.

Keep your eyes on the http://www.norcalhummergroup.org site and we will post the whole groups there!

Old 08-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

Got my rockrails installed today.
Los Gatos Hummer hooked me up great!
They took the chrome side steps off and gave me a set of rock rails in return.
You can't get better service than that

-C
Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 AM

Jason_Navy is off the scale

Hello Everyone! I'm new here so I’ll make a quick intro. I was actually in the process of buying a minivan when a co-worker pulled up Hummer.com and says, "You know, these H3's are the same price as that van your looking at". Well, long story short, I’m looking to purchase my H3 in about 60 days.

I'm actually in the Navy and once had an opportunity to drive a HMMWV 500 miles on the German Autobahn. It wasn't exactly a speed demon, we estimated the top speed was 75mph downhill, the speedometer stopped at 60 or 65 if I remember correctly. We were also loaded with equipment. I also remember climbing steep mountains and passing all the 18-wheelers like they were standing still.

Sorry for rambling on, I do have a question for HummBeebe: How well do you feel your stock tires performed, especially at the water crossings? I've read a few posts were people were saying the Bridgestone tires were not really off-road capable. If those were the stock tires in your pictures, they look plenty capable to me, I was would just like to hear your thoughts on them.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 PM

not to speak for humbebe, but i will anyway. for what we went through, those stock tires worked fine. i think the only issue with them would be if we hit some sticky mud, but even then they would probably be ok. (i've been buried with my old BFG M/T, so you never know)the river crossings were mostly gravel, so we werent' getting sucked down into it. I'm sure we'll get her talked into some 35" M/T down the road . . . . .
Old 08-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Jason_Navy
First and foremost, I want to thank you for your service to our Country.

As far as the stock 33's go they were fine for what we were doing. We also have to keep in mind that Bridgestone designed these tires especially for the H3 and that they made it thru the Rubicon on them.( I have the advebture package)

If shorterbus has his way, I will have some serious mud and snow tires before the year is over.
There are some pics posted on other threads where some H3's have put 35's on the stock rigs without lifting them and they seem to work ok.

I would pose the question: will the breakover angles be the same based on the fact that there is so much more tire filling up the wheel well?
Maybe one of the technical people on this site could answer that.

I'm jealous that you spent 500 miles in a HMMWV.

See you on the trail!

Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Hummer Guru

I may have missed it but I believe the largest tire put on an H3 at this point was a 34" which was really 33.8" if I recall correctly. There has been a lot of discussion about if 35s would even fit but I don't think anyone has tried. You could be the first

Old 08-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Here is a set of 35"tires on an H3:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/albumcomments/f/4871...871055631#8871055631

Tell me what you think, I think they look great!

Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Hummer Guru

I stand corrected HummBeebe

I had totally missed that thread. I think they look great. Do you want a more aggressive looking tire our just something taller?

Old 08-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

Jason_Navy
I want to say thank you for your service to our Country also.

As far as 35s go, after talking to one of the H3 designers, they should be no problem at all if you turn up the front torsion bars so the truck sits level. The H3 was designed with 35s on it , but was backed off to 33s for tire chain clearance.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM

i wanted to sell humbebe my old 35's, but the rims won't fit. i think they'd look sweet on there, except the rims are chrome and i hate chrome. careful cranking on the torsion bars, the same thing can be done on H2s but when i cranked mine up the pass. side was about an inch lower than the drivers side. if you're going to crank them the whole way, you may want to think about lifting the back about an inch at the same time to maintain the rake angle from the factory. it's worth experimenting with and easy to do, but if it doesn't feel right driving it, it's not right.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:28 PM

Jason_Navy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummBeebe:
...I'm jealous that you spent 500 miles in a HMMWV.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, it was actually the second most uncomfortable ride I've ever experienced, It was incredible loud, and after a few hours of sitting on 2 inches of foam padding you start to hurt.

The first worst ride was in the back of a HMMWV personnel carrier going to the range. Nothing like sitting on a cold steel box, wearing a kevlar helmet and flak vest, with your only view to the outside world being a slit in the back flaps of the canvas cover.

I loved both experiences.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
I stand corrected HummBeebe

I had totally missed that thread. I think they look great. Do you want a more aggressive looking tire our just something taller? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think something with just some serious grip. I do not think I would run them all the time. I'd probably just put them on before a weekend of rock killing .

I can just get a second set of wheels to put them on, keep them in the Garage.