Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GUN safety training course

Ya'll live in the south, so call the local Sheriff department and ask them if they run a self-defense or handgun safety course. When I lived in TN, I helped teach one with the local Sheriffs, and we had people from all walks of life come into the class. There were those that hated handguns, but someone in the house had them, so they were smart enough to know they should at least learn the basics, we had those who grew up with them, but smart enough to know you can always learn something new, etc.

If that is not a possibility, contact the NRA, their instructors are usually pretty damn good and they offer all sorts of training.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
If you don't want a gun you can always get a dog.
They've got a "dog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Black male. He was pretending to work on his car...
This is a conspiracy.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Blondie
Call your local gun dealers and talk to them about what you are interested in learning; they can point you in the right direction. Another option is to call any local gun ranges, especially indoor ones, as many of them either teach handgun safety or know someone that does.
Excellent advise for a beginner. However, I would not use one of Kens, I would go find one that fits your palm, like a nice pair of jeans. If you want it near you or on you, you'll have to be extra careful with kids around, but if your worried about that freak jacking your car while you're not looking, you better get really comfortable with the idea of having a loaded weapon around. LEARN AND PRACTICE TILL ITS SECOND NATURE! Victorias Secret was selling a bra that had a spot for a gun, but I'm not sure if they still have them.

Shotguns are good, but almost never in a handy spot if you need it, and they're kind of difficult to conceal, so only work good in home defense. IMO.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to conceal a gun in the entry way of our home, without anyone knowing it's there. I hate it when people come to the door and I have to open it without having a backup. Especially out in the country. Maybe I'll just give the 6 year old the scatter gun and have him stand behind me.

Good luck, and be careful, friend!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkzilla
spaz 12-guage
is that you holding a 12 gauge?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

funkzilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
is that you holding a 12 gauge?

yep that's me standing next to the red mist that was the arsehole that broke into my house
Old 10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
I think the world of that company.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
Excellent advise for a beginner. However, I would not use one of Kens, I would go find one that fits your palm, like a nice pair of jeans. If you want it near you or on you, you'll have to be extra careful with kids around, but if your worried about that freak jacking your car while you're not looking, you better get really comfortable with the idea of having a loaded weapon around. LEARN AND PRACTICE TILL ITS SECOND NATURE! Victorias Secret was selling a bra that had a spot for a gun, but I'm not sure if they still have them.

Shotguns are good, but almost never in a handy spot if you need it, and they're kind of difficult to conceal, so only work good in home defense. IMO.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to conceal a gun in the entry way of our home, without anyone knowing it's there. I hate it when people come to the door and I have to open it without having a backup. Especially out in the country. Maybe I'll just give the 6 year old the scatter gun and have him stand behind me.

Good luck, and be careful, friend!

You don't have a peephole in the door to see who is there? If not, get one.
As for the gun and a young child; not sure what I would have done. When my kids were that young, I wore a handgun 24/7, unless in bed, so the gun was always at my side, or in a bedside safe (part of the alarm clock), and my kids were taught gun safety starting around 7 years of age.

I would also suggest getting a handgun carry license, so that for those times you need to carry off the property, you are legal.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Hummer Messiah

I've had guns all my life. Literally since I was a kid.

I think she'd be fine with a S&W .38 with the laser sight. Heck, she probably doesn't need the sights anyway. Just point and shoot.

For the record, the carjacking DID NOT take place in our 'hood. It happened at a mall parking lot. Forensics was at their house for awhile going over the car.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Mrs.ssippi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God they used duct tape and not Hurricane Tape that woman would still be trying to get out. Sorry I just had to say it.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all - you should carry, you should get your own gun, and you should practice a TON.

But most important --- Think of the great conversions you could have at your tea parties.

"Hey, did you see those new Gucci handbags that just came out?".

"No, but check out this Glock. I could cap you Mo Fos right now........"
Old 10-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Guru

If you have to pull and shoot to save your life, you don't have time to obtain a sight through handgun sights anyway. You have to learn to shoot at chest level for those times, sights are not practical.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

see the front post, be the front post, become one with the front post
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Hummer Guru

BlueTJCO has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
Is that why Moonie is so feisty?

You know I'm not feisty ........But I agree that Krav Maga Classes are the way to go. You learn a lot of valuable "street tactics" as they would call them in defending yourself with the maximum force available. Krav Maga is a downright lethal self defense martial art.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Hummer Guru

BlueTJCO has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Oh, and your local Wal Mart will have a list of places near you that have "Firearms Safety Courses" I think...At least ours did...
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Possibly, almost certainly if they are top of you, but that's why you practice shooting from retention. However, there are times when not taking a sight picture can have disastrous results, especially if a hostage or innocent becomes the backstop. I personally would not shoot from retention any further 2-3 yds, anything over that and they will be in my sights when they are engaged.A vast amount of it is about about practice, when the SHTF you will do what you practice.

Not talking about a hostage situation, don't believe most civilians would be put into that situation and if they were, they would be unequipped to handle it correctly. Hostage situations do require a sight picture and one hell of a steady hand.
As for innocents behind the intended target, that has to be taken into consideration, but shooting at the chest of a grown man, ten feet away, at chest level is not a hard thing to do. (Been there and done that.)

What I was implying is that under most situations a civilian will encounter, the time to obtain a perfect sight picture is not in the equation.

As for practice, I could not agree more. It is extremely important since muscle memory will be what makes you hit the target. However, I do tell people don't go out to a range, sight in on a target, fire off 50 rounds and go home. If that is all a person does, when the sh*t hits the fan, that is what they will do and it may not be fast enough. Fire off 50 rounds at chest level, and when you get good enough, and it is safe enough, draw and fire at chest level; fire while running back against the strong arm side of the shooter, learn to shoot from cover. Heck, take the time to walk through your own house and find areas it would be safe to shoot from such as a wall with a refridge on the other side, or a stove, something stronger than plaster. Surprising how many people think a bullet will be stopped by a plaster wall, as it is on TV.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Possibly, almost certainly if they are top of you, but that's why you practice shooting from retention. However, there are times when not taking a sight picture can have disastrous results, especially if a hostage or innocent becomes the backstop. I personally would not shoot from retention any further 2-3 yds, anything over that and they will be in my sights when they are engaged.A vast amount of it is about about practice, when the SHTF you will do what you practice.
Phil, I've seen some of your pics. Maybe we should just schedule a trip to Corpus for a few days.