Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Road family went down was closed by gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Gawd! Dicks/dog dicks/flea dicks/parasitic dicks= all of you- DICKS!!
Happy Holidays to you too!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=h2co-pilot]Gawd! Dicks/dog dicks/flea dicks/parasitic dicks= all of you- DICKS!!

I take it she likes teh DICK!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hummer
Well it's nice to hear that at least the holidays will be cheerful!

Ken, Hold off on the pistol purchase for a little while.
I'm so happy!!!

I will.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Old 12-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

They announced today on CNN that Mr. Kim had actually hiked 16.5 miles, not the 10 originally first thought. No matter what anyone thinks, or who would have done it another way .. this man went out looking for aid for his family and died in the process. We don't need to dissect it .. what happened happened. I'm sure it's not what he was hoping for, for himself.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 AM
Banned

Mrs.ssippi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
They announced today on CNN that Mr. Kim had actually hiked 16.5 miles, not the 10 originally first thought. No matter what anyone thinks, or who would have done it another way .. this man went out looking for aid for his family and died in the process. We don't need to dissect it .. what happened happened. I'm sure it's not what he was hoping for, for himself.
Okay, I'm not trying to be a bitch (I just can't help it), but I think we do need to "dissect" it. Alot of people on this forum travel and wheel alot. I know some of you don't wheel, but this is great information. Anytime someone does something wrong someone learns from it. I bet that none of us that have posted or read this thread will make the same mistake that Mr. Kim made. I have make lots of "mistakes", although I don't call them mistakes, in my life time I have learned from them. I am who I am because of the discisions that I have made. Good or bad. So I do think we need to dissect alot more sh!t and I'm glad we have so many different opinions on this forum because I learn stuff, sometimes stupid and nasty (thanks to DRTY) stuff but I do learn so great stuff too.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
How the fck do they know?

They've announced he was less than a mile from the car when he wasn't, they announced that he was alive just hours before he was found, he wasn't. THEY have announced all sorts of stupid crap about this that has been factless. For all we really know, he walked 2 miles and fell down a crevasse.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/11/gri...gon/index.html

MERLIN, Oregon (CNN) -- We came to Oregon to retrace the path James Kim and his family took the day they got stranded in the Rogue River wilderness.

When we finally reached the spot where the Kim's car stopped after a long, winding journey, our traveling companions -- Sgt. Joel Heller, Josephine County Sheriff's office, and John James, owner of the Black Bar Lodge -- both had the same exact thought: Why did the Kims continue down such a desolate path when they so clearly did not know where they were going?

Though it is heart wrenching to question the decisions made by a man who died trying to save his family, it is hard not to wonder.

Three times, we passed large yellow signs warning that snow may completely block the roadway.

Eventually, we came to a fork in the road where a tiny sign -- almost invisible unless you actually stop the car and focus on it -- pointed the way to the Oregon Coast. The sign pointed left. The Kims drove right.

This was obviously the wrong direction. It was one lane, no guardrail, no markings, no "winding road ahead" signs, no speed limit signs, no nothing.

During our daylight journey, the road was so hazardous, so covered with snow and ice that a CNN satellite truck operator refused to continue, fearing the truck could go over the side.

The pavement began to break up, then turn to gravel, and finally to dirt.

This was an old logging road used only in summer by lodge owners hauling supplies. In winter, it was not generally in use.

In fact, beginning November 1 a gate usually blocked the road. Somebody must have broken the lock and left the gate open. Had it been shut and locked, the Kims could not have gone down the road at all.

But they did. Twenty miles down that desolate road, James and Kati Kim and their two young daughters found themselves stranded in the snowy wilderness.

By the time we came to the spot they stopped, our four-wheel-drive vehicle was being battered on both sides by overhanging branches and bushes.

This is where the Kims stayed for nine days, and the spot from which James Kim set off on foot on a journey into the Oregon wilderness that resulted in his death.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quoting the CNN story from above .. "
When we finally reached the spot where the Kim's car stopped after a long, winding journey, our traveling companions -- Sgt. Joel Heller, Josephine County Sheriff's office, and John James, owner of the Black Bar Lodge -- both had the same exact thought: Why did the Kims continue down such a desolate path when they so clearly did not know where they were going?

Though it is heart wrenching to question the decisions made by a man who died trying to save his family, it is hard not to wonder.

Three times, we passed large yellow signs warning that snow may completely block the roadway. " Yes, you have to wonder .. and dissect, WHY they chose to take a desolate path, especially with a very young child and a baby? You DO have to wonder, WHAT were they thinking? They HAD to know it couldn't have been a direct path to anywheres but a disaster. You're right, Paragon and Mrs.ssippi, these are the ways we learn .. ESPECIALLY of things NOT to do. I feel sorry for the family, but, you would think that between two grown adults, one of them would have had the sense to say, "WAIT!!!! What are we doing?!" Too late now. But, the rest of us know (or have known) what NOT to do.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/11/gri...gon/index.html

MERLIN, Oregon (CNN) -- We came to Oregon to retrace the path James Kim and his family took the day they got stranded in the Rogue River wilderness.

Why did the Kims continue down such a desolate path when they so clearly did not know where they were going?

This was an old logging road used only in summer by lodge owners hauling supplies. In winter, it was not generally in use.

In fact, beginning November 1 a gate usually blocked the road. Somebody must have broken the lock and left the gate open. Had it been shut and locked, the Kims could not have gone down the road at all.

This is the part where CNN starts to blame someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
For all we really know, he walked 2 miles and fell down a crevasse.
LMAO! And I think a cougar in the area took his shoes and left footprints all over the Mtn Side to make it LOOK like he walked 16 miles. yep

Last edited by ROX : 12-12-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Three times, we passed large yellow signs warning that snow may completely block the roadway.
Those big yellow warning signs are so ambiguous.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
LMAO! And I think a cougar in the area took his shoes and left footprints all over the Mtn Side to make it LOOK like he walked 16 miles. yep
considering the car was snowed in and he left in snow, it rained, etc etc. I want to know where these numbers keep popping up on how far he travelled.

If he walked 16 miles, why was he only a few miles from the car?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
I think you are giving them too much credit. I don't think they have a clue where he went or how far.

Quote:

A San Francisco man who was stranded with his family in the snowy wilderness walked more than 16 miles in search of help before he died -- six more than originally thought, a search official said Saturday.
James Kim, 35, his wife and their two daughters were about seven miles from a fishing lodge stocked with food, not the one mile as authorities earlier thought, said Phil Turnbull, a fire chief in Josephine County.
A mapping error led to the incorrect figures, but did not affect the search for Kim, Turnbull said.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

WTF, there is wikipedia stuff for this?

Apparently they didn't know where the car was because some dude couldn't read a map.

He walked 10 miles down the road and then went into the canyon and backtracked 5 miles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_K...te_controversy
Old 12-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

This could have been averted if they'd owned a Hummer.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the moral of this story is "Sometimes it is better to stay the fvck off the road less traveled" or "Man to stubborn to ask for directions becomes popsicle in the snow" or "Man with limp walks in circles" or "Don't wait 9 damn days before looking for help". Is it to early for jokes??
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

I have a question. This isn't a knock, legit question.

A car like a Saab would average about 2 gallons a day at idle, idling constantly. It would have at least a 12 gallon tank or so.

I would assume they idled the car much more than we would be led to believe if they ran the car out of fuel, completely.

Why drain the fuel completely? Granted they would have burned some fuel driving to the point where they stopped, but undoubtedly they had a full tank to start with since they were trekking out into the unknown and had just came from an Interstate exit.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
but undoubtedly they had a full tank to start with since they were trekking out into the unknown and had just came from an Interstate exit.

Bad assumption. If they were stupid enought to turn off on that road, they were certainly stupid enough to leave without a full tank. Don't ya think?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
trekking out into the unknown and had just came from an Interstate exit.
Are you kidding me?!?!?! They left an interstate? WTF???

I certainly hope there's a very good reason for that, or else my sympathy will be gone.