H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

PackerFever is off the scale

GM Report; Category....Impact Damage.....solution...CYA and replace it so she doesn't bad mouth us on that thar internet thingy.
Yellow 06 H3 5 Speed ~ Luxury Off Road, Black and Chrome trim, Sunroof, Leather, XM Monsoon, Brushguard, Rail Steps, Yakima Pro 16, Mud Flaps, Hard Spare Tire Cover, pwdr coat fuel door.... .Riding like a Spirit on the Wind.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CO Hummer:
You are right about the H3s doing well tho. They walked everything with ease all week. But something needs to be done to strenghten the drivetrain.
I know I"m late to this conversation today, but the drive and all....

I was really digging the 3's until that happened. The 2's weak link is the tie rod and easily fixed on the trail. But if the 3's weak point is the drivetrain, then that's a major problem GM must address. That'll also keep us from buying one for wheeling.
That's too bad, because the 3's crawl like crazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a reasonable fix for the drivetrain issue? What caused the diff teeth to break? Can it be fixed with just stronger diffs?
I agree that "2's weak link is the tie rod and easily fixed on the trail," but I'd go one step further and say that the weak link can be preventatively repaired for about $300 parts and labor with the FT rods, and it would be much rarer to have them fail (although you or CP – can’t recall who - managed to be the first and only person on the planet to bend one). To me, doing serious wheeling in an H2 with stock tie rods is like taking out an expensive boat when you know you have a repairable hole in the hull.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
It can get dangerous out there in Moab

LMFAO X10 gagillion!!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Cognitos may be on our list, but I'm waiting for Phil's review. They certainly can't hurt.

... I'll be on the road all day tomorrow, too.

FWIW, I like the way my truck handles with the Cognitos. Seems firmer. But I don't have a lift like you and Phil - so it might work differently on mine. I also have no way to know if I'm preventing any wear. But it does make me "feel" like I'm saving my pitman and idler arms.

Drive safely.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:18 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineHawk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CO Hummer:
You are right about the H3s doing well tho. They walked everything with ease all week. But something needs to be done to strenghten the drivetrain.
I know I"m late to this conversation today, but the drive and all....

I was really digging the 3's until that happened. The 2's weak link is the tie rod and easily fixed on the trail. But if the 3's weak point is the drivetrain, then that's a major problem GM must address. That'll also keep us from buying one for wheeling.
That's too bad, because the 3's crawl like crazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a reasonable fix for the drivetrain issue? What caused the diff teeth to break? Can it be fixed with just stronger diffs?
I agree that "2's weak link is the tie rod and easily fixed on the trail," but I'd go one step further and say that the weak link can be preventatively repaired for about $300 parts and labor with the FT rods, and it would be much rarer to have them fail (although you or CP – can’t recall who - managed to be the first and only person on the planet to bend one). To me, doing serious wheeling in an H2 with stock tie rods is like taking out an expensive boat when you know you have a repairable hole in the hull. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, with the FT tierods...does that put the CV more at risk?

'03 H2
Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL too funny
Old 04-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Hummer Deity

Ken, It's all good. My being Hypoglycemic and having very little to eat by hour 8-10-12-14 I was probably getting on everyones nerves It should be me apologizing to everyone for putting up with me.

It was amazing to see everyone pitch in, help where they could and work toward getting everyone one off the trail and back to home base safe.

I think everyone learned something that day.

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Pulling the front drive shaft and two half shafts would have allowed you to continue in 2WD without doing any further damage to the front diff. Then you would have only need a strap over the obstacles.

If you're not sure what needs to be pulled off though, towing is definitely the best option.

Glad everyone made it off in one piece.
That option wasn't even discussed by any of us. We didn't think about it, but that would have been the way to go. You can bet we'll remember that if there's another catastrophic failure on the trail.

As the day turned to night, around 7pm, and everyone realized we weren't getting off the trail for several more hours, tensions became thick. We all were edgy, tired, hungry, and running low and water.

I apologize to Fubar for being smart with him at one point.

Around 9pm, it seemed we were all resigned to the fact we weren't grilling out again and just took everything in stride.

The night stuff was really fun. Seeing the lights in the distance of so many Hummers was really cool and we all learned alot about recovery.

All in, all out. No one, and nothing left behind. Great job, Gang. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Fubar:
Fubar, whose sunset (maroon?) H2 is that? Digging the wheels and the custom front brush guard/wing! Any pic of it from the front?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

PackerFever is off the scale

Kick ass burnt orange with a cool bumper and rack system built by ...neil????
Yellow 06 H3 5 Speed ~ Luxury Off Road, Black and Chrome trim, Sunroof, Leather, XM Monsoon, Brushguard, Rail Steps, Yakima Pro 16, Mud Flaps, Hard Spare Tire Cover, pwdr coat fuel door.... .Riding like a Spirit on the Wind.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Hummer Deity

Yes, the bumper is being offered by Neil.

Here is the best front shot I have. I'm sure Neil could provide you with better product shots.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Hummer Guru

who's neil? Is he the H2o guy?

'03 H2
Old 04-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

Great, while you guys were playin out in Moab, i was up by estas park squeezing, no scratching my H2 through a trail made for an ATV that some bonehead in a jeep went down and needed someone to pull him out.

Looks like fun, but i know i would definatly pussy out on some of that **** with the 300 foot ledges. Any body damage you guys?

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 AM
Hummer Deity

Quote: who's neil? Is he the H2o guy?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Hummer Guru

Ah ha! Thanks.

'03 H2
Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

Tah2oe is an unknown quantity at this point

Alec, it looks like your daughter took some really good pictures. Tell her she did a good job.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CslRkH2:
What was the deal with the over-heating winch(es)? I didn't hear that whole story when we were on the trail.

I don't think any of the winches overheated. I thought my thermometric one did for moment, but the controller had just slipped out of place. Alec's winch acted up randomly and would stop working. But I don't think it was due to overheating.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tah2oe is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam doing the funky chicken:

Old 04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CO Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CslRkH2:
What was the deal with the over-heating winch(es)? I didn't hear that whole story when we were on the trail.

I don't think any of the winches overheated. I thought my thermometric one did for moment, but the controller had just slipped out of place. Alec's winch acted up randomly and would stop working. But I don't think it was due to overheating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So were you guys limited by the winch duty cycles on your electric winches, i.e. did you ever have to sit and wait for cool down? Or was this a non-issue?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by ree:
So were you guys limited by the winch duty cycles on your electric winches, i.e. did you ever have to sit and wait for cool down? Or was this a non-issue?

No, we kept leap-frogging vehicles with winches. We used three vehicles for winching. We started with mine, then Alec's, then Rox's, etc. So the winches has plenty of time to cool down. Rox and I use the 9500Ti which has a built-in shut off if overheating occurs. Neither of us reached that threshold.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Hummer Deity

Wow, I guess you guys like Moab Pictures. Yesterday the 24th I made available to you all the Moab Pictures I took. And boy did the members/visitors of this site enjoy.

Daily Statistics for April 2006
Day Hits Files

23 55 46
24 11314 10068

Thanks. This should serve as an example for anyone wanting to adverstise on H2source.com that this site gets seen by a lot of people.