H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-15-2006, 05:16 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CampMaster:
Seems like most of the H3 owners are pretty gun-shy when it comes to talking about their 4x4. Probably one too many verbal attacks from the tree-hugging, nyu-n-berry munching, Holier-than-thou, anti-established religion PC crowd that's polluting the area.

WTF are you talking about?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:16 PM

CampMaster is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Sewie:

Not on this forum... I am talking about the owners in the Portland Metro area!

Tried to ask questions at gas stations, grocery stores... etc... didn't matter.

Ask a subaru owner... and they will talk your ear off. Same goes for those little toaster-cars ... the scion xb. Those owners love their little cars and will talk all day about them.

As far as renting... not in this area of the country. Avis doesn't 'normally' have them out here. They do in Texas... not in the PNW.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

high ratio of tree huggers in PNW maybe the reason less talkative . some scion xb's race with us , they arent very fast but the owners do love them , and they have fun .
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 02-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CampMaster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sewie:

Not on this forum... I am talking about the owners in the Portland Metro area!

Tried to ask questions at gas stations, grocery stores... etc... didn't matter.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotcha. Well, that's what forums like this are for.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:54 PM

CampMaster is off the scale

That is open of the great reasons for forums... The only thing is it is pretty hard to kick-the-tires with the owner while online.

Something about being next to the H3 and hearing the tales and getting their actual expereinces which can't be duplicated online.

There is only one dealership for several hundred miles in any direction! They do not have an off-road course and are located in the downtown area. Not really many options for test drives.

Can't find any place to even rent them without paying over $150 for one day with a 150 mile limit! Do you realize just how easy it is to drive 150 miles!?!?!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PackerFever:
Well funny you should mention I-70. I live in Summit County, Breckenridge, and get down to Denver and back a couple times per month. As a matter of fact we went down there Sunday to pick up the Yakima Box, needed a new one since my old rocket box would have covered part of the sunroof.

Anyway, My review is prefaced by the fact that we picked up the 5 speed for exactly the reason you mention. Living in the mountains and driving around the west a lot I wanted a vehicle that would get someones attention to notice my logos but also get decent FMPG.

First of all going east from Silverthorne up to the tunnel I usually have no problem maintaining 70 mph in a 65 mph zome. I do tend to downshift into 3rd gear for extended periods but it shouldn't really hurt the motor as far as I know. I mean I can go 75mph in 3rd and still only be at 4500-5000+ rpm's. Altohuogh it sounds a little rough like that at times.

Going up Floyd Hill near Evergreen going east I again will downshift into third and have no problem keep up and even passing the mini vans and BubbaUrbans.

Coming back West I do have to keep it in third alot climbing from Golden to Floy Hill and again from Georgetown to the tunnel but once I have the momentum and put it in 4th or 5th it keep speed pretty well. I just need to be on my toes for bad drivers who get in the fast lane....regaining momentum does take longer than my old Cherokee V8.

The hill between Silverthorne and Frisco is another slog that I drive nearly daily. If I have the momentum I can go up that hill pretty well in 3rd and 4th since they do have the third slow lane on the side...there is often room to manuever.

However, I do want to do what I can to gain HP. I have heard the cool air intake or the KN air filter will add good HP I am not sure which is better...plus the dual exhaust. I have also seen other gimmicks on other sites but I doubt they do much.

I am still intrigued by the super charger and if a Super Chip is ever programmed I would be interested. Anyone know of the Super chip????

Look I am not looking for a sportscar. I have had several 4WD's and love my H3.....I really mean I am love with the it. However I live at 9300 ft and do drive at altitudes of 8000' - 12000' more often than I am below 6000'. A little more thrust would not hurt throughout the west. all I want to do is give it more air and power so I can at least stay at highway speeds on my way out to the deserts of Utah and the mountains of Colorado. Going across the midwest on generally flat terrain and lower altitude I get good power with the 5 speed.

I will be going to Moab in two weeks for a long weekend and will rpeort back again besides the fact that I drive over Vail pass a lot over rthe next few weeks as well.

As I told my wife. witht eh five speed, Do not be afraid to down shift to third. The set up allows for high rpms.

Two years in a row, I-70 up to the tunnel and I believe the second big incline to Vail (?), in my TJ, third gear, FLOORED, and I managed 60 mph (still passing people which worried me). If the H3 can do as good or better than that, and carry almost twice the amount of equipment; I'll be a happy camper.
From talking with some of the people who tested the H3 outwest, I'll have no problems. It will downshift (auto), but I will be able to surpass the TJ.
Then let's not forget cross-country in a TJ versus a H3? I already know the answer to that conundrum.