Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm thinking about switching over to the other team.

You feeling ok there BKLYN? Thanks for the tips guys. The insurance comapny is coming out today, so we'll see what happens.

-007=
Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
You feeling ok there BKLYN? Thanks for the tips guys. The insurance comapny is coming out today, so we'll see what happens.
I'm fine, just a little gas, that's all.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparker
In my 13 yrs in the IT field - Mac users = Non attractive, socially disassociated, self righteous, egotistical a$$holes.

x2
Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Hummer Guru

You wouldn't happen to work for Apple, would you BKLYNH2? I appreciate your help hyping the Mac, please do it in many other places... send my stock soaring!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Yes I am the director of apple's brooklyn corporate headquarters. How did you figure it out? Are you a rocket scientist? That might explain why your computer always crashes.

You really shouldn't invest in a product you don't believe in. Now might be the time to go short though, not saying I should know anything or anything
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Hummer Guru

Hey Tah2oe - how much snow did you guys get out there?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

I have owned several PCs and Apple computers over the past several years and the more that things change, the more they remain the same.

Despite what many Apple owners told me prior to purchasing my first PowerBook, OS X does bloat with time. Booting takes longer, programs run slower, and things crash more often. I am not speaking in terms of years, but weeks. I do not use my PowerBook for anything heavy duty, nor do I tweak with settings that I should not be touching, but within six weeks, my PowerBook will often not come out of sleep mode and when it does, either wireless or Bluetooth is broken and requires a reset. The problem grows worse until reseting the computer does not fix the problem. At that point, I am faced with reinstalling OS X.

When this does not happen, I am plagued several times per week with applications that crash and require a restart. These applications are not even third-party, but applications from Apple, including Safari and Mail. Speaking of Mail, it occasionally makes a nasty habit of ****ting the bed and losing all of its settings including preferences, mail accounts, and mail.

Not only are thse problems that I experience regularly, but they are problems we experience everywhere here. Three years ago, the owners of the company I work at decided to dump PCs in favour of Apple computers, and everything I have stated here also occurs at work on a very regular basis. (The owners are very pro-Apple and very much form over function. They are the type of people to gloat over gold plated **** just because it is gold plated, even though at the end of the day it is still ****.)

And the problems with Apple computers do not end with software. If you do purchase one, by all means purchase Applecare, their extended warranty. We operate over 70 Apple computers here and with no exaggeration, about three-quarters have required hardware replacement. Fortunately, the problem is almost always the same: a logic board replacement. Your keyboard could stop working or your power adapter could stop working and the solution is always to replace the logic board. The bad news is that without extended warranty, these boards cost nearly $700.

As I write this, I currently have two PowerBooks, one iMac, and one G5 next to my desk waiting for Apple technicians to arrive to repair them.

Can PCs experience the same problem? Of course. But do not think for a moment that simply switching to Apple is going to eliminate these problems. It won't. And many people underestimate the amount of software they use that simply isn't available for OS X. Several employees have jumped ship on their home systems and went Apple even after I repeatedly asked them if they had any software that required a PC. Most of them thought of one or two programs that they could do without, but after getting rid of their PC, almost all of them come to me the next week and ask if "Program X" is available for OS X. And then they have the nerve to get upset at me when I tell them that it is not. Like it is my problem that they are deaf and stupid.

My point is that you use what works for you. I would recommend you try one out at the local store before you put down your money on one. As I first said, I use both PCs and Apple computers regularly and they both have their place. In a business environment with basic applications, they work well, so long as you have Applecare and can have the repairs performed as soon as possible to prevent downtime. (This can be a problem if there are no Apple-certified repair centers nearby.) In any other circumstance, I would stress purchasing a PC. If you stick to a name brand you will be more likely to get well built hardware and a name brand computer will ensure that every piece of hardware in it is certified to work well with Windows -- it is in their best interest to keep technical support calls to a minimum. And repairs can be made anywhere and by almost anyone. Even in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of kilometers from the nearest major city, we can get a Dell technician here the next day with parts and have our computers working. I have yet to see Apple get a technician here in less than 10 business days.

So there you have it. Take it as you would like. I am simply offering my experience with Apple, and it is not positive. I work with them daily, and in great numbers, and so I feel it is a better representation. (If you want biased one computer owner feedback, my parents have a PC that has not crashed once and works flawlessly. But I wouldn't use it to generalize how good PCs are.)

A final word of advice: do not install third-party "Windows fixers." Not only are most applications that are advertised to speed up your computer and clean it up really loaded with malware, but you've just sunk another $xx into software that does nothing, best case scenario. Even reputable software usually does not make a big enough difference to be worth your money. There is a reason many people call it "Norton Systemdoesn'tworks." Use a simple antivirus program like McAfee Antivirus, Norton Antivirus, or AVG Antivirus which is free, and an antispyware application like Windows Defender, and leave it at that. It will take care of you so long as you keep it updated and keep Windows updated. I cannot stress this enough. If I had a penny for every time I saw an employee abort a Windows update because it "slowed down their computer," I could afford another PowerBook. (i.e. I would be rich.) People who complain about their computer's performance while doing such obvious things to compromise it make me want to weep because I know I will be performing cleanup down the road.

Sorry to run on about this, but I have had to deal with this sort of situation often and I know that you need to be informed before you purchase it because each situation is as unique as the person using it. I recommended an iMac to my in-laws last week, but I know their situation.

So there you go. Definitely more than just my two cents.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Oh, you Mac people are too funny. Thanks for the investing tips, but there are enough brainwashed Mac psychos like yourself that I don't need to believe in their product.

P.S. - The normal cause for my Powerbook crashing was simple things, like opening up Safari.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNH2
You're INTEL is so outdated you sound like a fool the new macs run on intel processors, and can actually run windows, if you choose, virtual PC is over. I have used Macs since the apple IIE and have not had a virus ever. As far as your crashes are concerned were they in Virtual PC because that would be attributing the crash of your mac to a windows failure. VPC was almost always spotty anyway. If you need PC only programs by all means stick with a PC. If you like to surf the web, manage and alter photos, movies, music, video, need a spreadsheet, word processor, presentation, database, cad, animation, calander, contact management, basic tax or accounting, or email program you will do well with a mac and you'll do it with style and very intuitively. There I think I've covered the needs of 90% of the universe. Oh that's right if you have no life and really want to play cool games all the time buy an xboxor ps3. Macs cost more but a lot of the extra items you need to add to a pc ,like a wireless card for instance are already built into the mac, so the mac is good for people who want their computer to do things straight out of the box rather than requiring some Best buy IT a*hole to set it up for them.I have used both systems and can't emphasize enough how so many things that are so easy on a mac are chores on a pc. Now lets talk about where every PC innovation comes from.......... APPLE their operating system continuosly tries to emulate the mac os when are you dunces going to realise this. Every new use for a computer comes out on a mac first and then the PC world tries to match it.

We operate over 70 Apple computers in our environment here and approximately half of them require the use of Windows software. Bootcamp made it easy to let our computers run both OS X and Windows but it did not make it run well. Windows XP is plagued with crashes and restarts on the Apple computers whereas it continues chugging away on our PCs. I find it impossible to believe the problem is with Windows when our PCs operate without incident but on our Apple hardware it can be counted on to crash at least once per week per computer.

Describing people who play games as "having no life" is the typical stance an Apple advocate takes: egotism and superiority. Because you do not enjoy playing games, then obviously everyone else must follow in your footsteps lest they have "no life."

And Apple computers coming with hardware like wireless "out of the box?" Sure, if you order your computer with that. (Hint: you can order every name-brand PC with these options too, and amazing enough, it works when you turn on the computer!)

Apple advocates also love to push the "we did it first" argument, which is amusing in its own rights as Apple admitted to "borrowing" Xerox's ideas when they designed the original MacOS and more recently, "borrowing" ideas from NEXTSTEP for OS X. Innovation my ass. The only innovation I see coming from Apple is the iPhone and the iPod, but certainly not in their computers. You can dress up a pig but at the end of the day, it is still a pig.

Is the PC guilty of this? Of course it is. But most PC users understand that. They do not hide behind some false sense of superiority.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Boar-Ral -- Good posts.

Those problems are the exact ones I had. Within weeks it was slowing down, it wouldn't come out of sleep, regularly. Bluetooth, wireless wouldn't work unless you restart, programs losing settings, crashing, etc.. In the year or so I had it, I ended up reinstalling OSX 3 times. But, I'm sure I'm to blame for all those problems, right BKLYNH2?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by d?i???????
P.S. - The normal cause for my Powerbook crashing was simple things, like opening up Safari.
I hear you there!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Boar-Ral -- Good posts.

Those problems are the exact ones I had. Within weeks it was slowing down, it wouldn't come out of sleep, regularly. Bluetooth, wireless wouldn't work unless you restart, programs losing settings, crashing, etc.. In the year or so I had it, I ended up reinstalling OSX 3 times. But, I'm sure I'm to blame for all those problems, right BKLYNH2?

Yes you are!
And there was a fix issued for the sleep issue.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Funny when apple releases a new version of OS people race to embrace it when windows does they cringe. You've already admitted that XP needed improvement and that vista will be full of bugs, oh boy I can't wait to run out and put that junk in my computer.
Operating system updates occur on any platform. The biggest difference between is how the companies decide to handle them.

For the past several months, a group of hackers has been finding security holes in OS X and relaying the information to Apple, where it was rebuffed. At a computer expo last month, they exploited several of these security holes in front of a crowd. Guess what? Within one week, Apple had released a series of security updates to OS X. In addition, the hacking group has backed away from Apple and has indicated that in the future they will not be providing Apple with advanced notice and will instead make their findings immediately known on the internet.

If anyone would care to take a look at some of the recent updates to OS X you might be interested in seeing how serious some of the vulnerabilities are. The best part is how an OS X update summarizes everything as "miscellaneous security updates." Apple realizes that this is one of the few marketing ploys they have left.

Good job, Apple.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
And there was a fix issued for the sleep issue.
Really.

My PowerBook looks for new updates every day. I forced a software update check when I read your post and found nothing. I also went to Apple's web site to look for an update that I might have to install manually.

Nothing.

Yet my PowerBook continues to experience all of the previously-mentioned problems when attempting to come out of sleep mode.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Boar-Ral -- Good posts.
Thank you. My point is not to promote the PC and put down Apple computers, but instead level the playing field. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, but the reason I hit on Apple so hard is because all you ever hear is the positive. Rarely do you hear about the other side of the coin. It is not because it doesn't exist, but because they do not want you to hear it.

I think my situation is similar to many Apple owners in that they would rather pretend the problems do not exist. My wife ragged on me for purchasing my first PowerBook and when I started experiencing problems, I kept quiet. I certainly wasn't going to give her more fodder! I know that given the Apple vs. PC debate, I can see this being an issue at a larger scale too.

Just because we do not hear about the problems does not mean they do not exist.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Hummer Professional

One thing that I must say about Apple: their Applecare warranty is good. The aluminium on my PowerBook started to pit badly and they did not hesitate to replace the chassis for me. Last I checked, I do not have acid for blood...
Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Hummer Guru

Hey you're the IT guy. Don't ask me to find it for you.Might be those made for Canada versions that don't work quite right. Maybe you should call...
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Hey you're the IT guy. Don't ask me to find it for you.Might be those made for Canada versions that don't work quite right. Maybe you should call...
But you have been so forward with pulling other things out of your ass, I thought that you might have some insider knowledge. Working for Apple and all that.

I have spoken to our Apple representatives on many occasions and they have worked on my PowerBook on two occasions and the problem persists.

Thanks for the Canuck reference. Really relevent. I'm sure it will help me solve my problem.

Now get my ****ing burger ready.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar-Ral
Thank you. My point is not to promote the PC and put down Apple computers, but instead level the playing field. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, but the reason I hit on Apple so hard is because all you ever hear is the positive. Rarely do you hear about the other side of the coin. It is not because it doesn't exist, but because they do not want you to hear it.

I think my situation is similar to many Apple owners in that they would rather pretend the problems do not exist. My wife ragged on me for purchasing my first PowerBook and when I started experiencing problems, I kept quiet. I certainly wasn't going to give her more fodder! I know that given the Apple vs. PC debate, I can see this being an issue at a larger scale too.

Just because we do not hear about the problems does not mean they do not exist.
Ok, I'll admit the hinge on my powerbook TI sucked and I broke it eventually. You've been doing a great job of bashing macs so how about some equal time right here.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

LMFAO - case and point....

Quote:
You're INTEL is so outdated you sound like a fool the new macs run on intel processors, and can actually run windows, if you choose, virtual PC is over. I have used Macs since the apple IIE and have not had a virus ever. As far as your crashes are concerned were they in Virtual PC because that would be attributing the crash of your mac to a windows failure. VPC was almost always spotty anyway. If you need PC only programs by all means stick with a PC. If you like to surf the web, manage and alter photos, movies, music, video, need a spreadsheet, word processor, presentation, database, cad, animation, calander, contact management, basic tax or accounting, or email program you will do well with a mac and you'll do it with style and very intuitively. There I think I've covered the needs of 90% of the universe. Oh that's right if you have no life and really want to play cool games all the time buy an xboxor ps3. Macs cost more but a lot of the extra items you need to add to a pc ,like a wireless card for instance are already built into the mac, so the mac is good for people who want their computer to do things straight out of the box rather than requiring some Best buy IT a*hole to set it up for them.I have used both systems and can't emphasize enough how so many things that are so easy on a mac are chores on a pc. Now lets talk about where every PC innovation comes from.......... APPLE their operating system continuosly tries to emulate the mac os when are you dunces going to realise this. Every new use for a computer comes out on a mac first and then the PC world tries to match it.