H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-27-2003, 02:23 AM

DocH2 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
Do they offer supercharged Hummer for test drive? $5K is a lot of money. If we can test drive a supercharged Hummer, I think we can pretty sure to tell if it is a fraud or for real or just maybe. I climb steep hill everyday and my Hummer is full of power, if I can test drive a supercharged Hummer, it won't go any faster (twisty roads) but maybe I can feel the surge of power that pin me to the seat, that would be good enough. I wonder if any Hummer dealer has one for testing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mac,

I drop a friends H2 with the magnacharger about 6 weeks ago. Compared to mine...night and day. My stock 6.0 H2 still has it's tail between it's legs. I think, besides towing, the real difference is noticed with driving with the AC on at 65 mph and having to floor it to get ahead of the big rig that decided to merge into your lane when there isn't enough room to move sideways or hit the brakes without scraping the trailer.

Believe me, that 5 psi of boost makes a big difference (along with the reprogrammed computer).

V
Old 06-27-2003, 02:59 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DocH2:
...Power "under the curve" as I understand it means that the curve is drawn higher up on the chart therefore said engine has more power "below" that curve line. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you have nearly simplified it yourself. The curve is relative to RPM and power under the curve means that you get additional torque or horespower at lower RPM and that creates a "new curve" that shows more power generated at each RPM level in reference to before.

Think of a chart. On the vertical is RPM and and on the horizontal is your power ratings. Since it normally takes higher RPMs to reach the same level of power, the new curve after a positive modification shows more power at lower RPMs and therefore is under the original curve.

This is a layman's description from a layman. I am no car, engine, dyno, etc. expert nor am I an engineer, but this is just what I get out of the description of more power under the curve.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:16 PM

DocH2 is off the scale

Thanks Paragon. Horizontal and vertical were the words I was at a loss for. I wanted to use the "Y" and "X" axis but didn't think that would be appropriate for the forum as I get them confused all the time also due to lack of consistent use.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM

H2 Passion is off the scale

H2 Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> GM has been using this method of reducing drive train and transmission problems for several years now on their vehicles. Most other vehicles it happens right at the shift point but on the H2 it also occurs right when you need the torque the most. When you install the supercharger and don't eliminate the T/M it actually "magnifies" the problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a new searcher to buy a supercharger, do you mean here that we need to eliminate the T/M ?? or no ?

Elie
Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

H2 Passion, yes you want to eliminate it, and this is done through re-programming the PCM. If you don't and you install a supercharger it will not perform well at all. Most of the manufacturers include this reprogramming in their package, some at extra cost.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 PM

H2 Bill,

I live outside US and my dealer told me i will be the first one who will install a supercharger. Wow, means he doesn't have experience!!

He has a Whipple SC in the stock and he can order a Magna SC if i want.

first i still confused which one i want, Whipple or Magna. I prefer the one with less problems and less visiting to the dealer everytime as he doesn't have experience with SC.

Maybe i will chose the magna as a it is a full kit like i saw in this forum...! your advise will be very appreciated.

Second: As i will be the first one who will install, so i will be the tester person for the dealer, i am afraid if he knows all the tips and tricks that needs with the SC, would you please tell me what i have to tell him and what i need to do or to buy additionally to the SC?
do we need to Better replace or rebuild everything else w/ heavy duty parts. Especially the trans. as KenP said?

Where i live, we have a lot of mountains and high speed road too and i do off-road.
I heard about the torque converter, do we need it also?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Elie
Old 12-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Hi before stepping way out try these mods. Not like SC but if You are like me I needed a little more power and low end aceleration and got it. Plus about 1.5 MPG.
1)Cold air intake
2)Helix power tower throttle body spacer
3)ProFlash programer - it offers perf. mode, rv/tow mode., stock, and economy mode. I've tried all except economy which i will do soon, the programmer said it is not worth using that mode unless you are taking a long trip and then it will be a big help. I'm running perf. mode and it runs quicker. All these except stock do away with torque management control problem. I do not have all those weird done shifts and up shifts.
4)True duel exhaust. cut pipe at cats eliminating the x pipe and go with ?
(my choice was 2-40 series flowmasters with 3" all the way out from cats, except when I got to axle I had to drop to 2 1/2" to get over axle with 2 pipes. Which made Flowmaster tech happy.
5)I have ordered headers that will be jet hot covered to hold done engine compartment heat.
6)I'm checking into Granetelli MAF.
7)Bypass coolant to throttle body. Any good suggestions on doing this without buying all the kits You see?
8)Checking into 160 degree thermostat. Does H2 need this. It helped my truck but 2 totally different rigs. Need advice as to who i should get this from?
9)If Your a drive it a little guy like I do as I have a different every day driver and building it to compete in shows as I am (I know BO BO) If I want to go offroad I have good friends to let Me ride with them and I'm speaking of the people on this forum I'm sure would let me tag along on an outing. What every melts a guys butter it is your hard earned money. I'm looking at electric cooling fans. Do not use if offroading as I have been warned already on this site. Also let Me know what brand and model # I should use. I have used flex-a-lite in the past. I think KenP may answer this one.
You will be absolutely surprised how the beast will run!!!
Do the first 4 items first as they are the quickest to do.
I'm acually having problems with getting MAF as 05 models software is all new and they do not have a MAF to work yet. If you know different let me know. This was the same problem with programer. It just came out this month. I do not think Hypertech even has a programer ready yet for 05 H2.
All this is stuff that I did to My 99 Silverado with 5.3L If I took all the crap out of the bed and tool box no telling what it would do. It is a 2 wheel drive and I have the biggest tires I can get for it and i can smoke the tires for as far as I feel like it. It has HP's.
Hey if anyone sees anything I may want to try different please let Me know. I have a plan but it is flexible. Please You veteran's and guru's step up and fine tune my plan before I get our new member off in the wroung direction if you feel there is something new I do not know about, if you feel that may be happening
PLEASE HELP!!!! make sure We go in the right direction.
Thanks Very Much
Rick
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 12-01-2004, 11:58 PM

Rick,

Wow, it seems a rich solution but i think what you are doing is more complicated and less cheaper than a supercharger?

My target is: I want more speed and more torque power, because i like speed and also i like to by-pass the X5 and the Cayenne.

Elie
Old 12-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Hummer Authority

H2 Passion
It is way cheaper and not really complicated. Intake took 30 min., throttle body at same time took 15 min., programer took 10 min., and exhaust took 1.5 hours. Header pro tells me about 2 to 3 hours. It is all he does is specialize in header application and install. Alot of the other I'll do myself. If You put it all together I guess a good 8 hours on it all. You let the pro do the work just tell him what you want. It will take a couple of months maybe not (could be by end of Dec.) to finish and then I'll get it dinoed. Nothing is as good as SC but I'm estimating less than 2 grand and pro's here are estimatimg going from 325 HP to 425 or 450 HP and they are leaning heavily towards the 450hp and a vast torque improvement, no up and down shifting anymore. These are estimates based on manufacturer HP gain and we shaved it down by rounding down numbers from factory. I feel confident I will get it in around 2 grand. Dino only rely knows hp and torque. In the first 4 items I have spent $960 and it made it feel like I was driving a different H2. Friends who had been in it before could not believe how it put them back in the seat. Out of the remaining the real help will come from the headers.

I really would like some input on the MAF, coolant throttle body bypass, and the 160 degree thermo.

I know electric fans will help as I noticed a big difference on My silverado when I put it on this past summer.

Guys jump in here and help me with the questions I have on MAF, Throttle body bypass and 160 stat. I know someone has had experience with those things.
Thanks
Rick
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By Rick:
Guys jump in here and help me with the questions I have on MAF <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have been told, point-blank, not to waste my time or $$$ on that. Now that comes from folks in the Know
Old 12-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Ken I want your advice so I'm going to make sure I understand.
Your saying do not waste money on MAF,Throttle body spacer,and 160 degree stat. Did I understand correctly?
Thank You So Much for Your Input!!
Please write back if You have any other ideas and to confirm my understanding.
If you would like PM me on this.
Rick