H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdawg8394
its always the really "chromed out" hummers that dont wave back in my experience anyway. shoot i saw another hummer in the parking lot the other day and parked right beside it. (it was blacked out) and when i came back out the guy was waiting for me, complemented my ride and i returned the compliment. sat there for a while and talked

I think it all goes back to the 'enthusiast' comment earlier in this thread. Enthusiasts usually have an interest on a level that makes them more involved/vested in things like: what it can do, how it works, how to make it better, its lineage, etc. This interest oftentimes extends all the way out to other owners and their trucks.

Chroming these trucks out, IMO, doesn't put the owner in the enthusiast category...in MOST cases. I know a lot of dudes that have 'chromed out' Corollas...but they're not Corolla enthusiasts; they just like shiny things and happen to live near an Autozone. I think that's why you don't get a lot of waves from chromers.

The owners that bought their truck for what it can do, not what they thought it symbolized are the ones that I find wave the most...especially if they think you're of a like mind. The problem is, unless it's running over-sized tires and got mud up the side it's hard to tell what kind of owner you're looking at.

...lately I've been branching out, I wave at any jacked up dirty truck. I get a lot more waves back...I guess it goes back to the 'like minded' thing...that big tire, big truck, 4-wheel drive, dirt road mentality.

Last edited by guruerror : 11-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

zdawg8394 is on a distinguished road

most of the chrome rigs have taken theirs to a shop and payed them to change it all out, or bought the autozone stick ons and went to town on it. and i also get wayyyy more interest from the truck guys around, take it there are alot more of them
-hummer double brush guard
-vision x rock lights
-5%tint all around
-dual "whips"
-leveling kit
Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Hummer Expert

2010_5thgen is on a distinguished road

oh man....where to begin..... ok. i have a 07 H2 wi the chrome package. it came this was from hummer. i just bought 20" chrome wheels and im putting on 37" tires..... does this mean im not an enthusiast? i love this truck. ive had it over 3 years now and havent had any intuition to get rid of it. i am a true enthusiast. absolutely not. do i have to have black wheels to be an enthusiast just because you dont liek chrome? no...this is getting out of control. do i take my hummer off road? nope. never took it through a trail or anything. i bought the truck because i lve what it stands for. just because LeBron put 30's on his hummer, doesnt mean hes not an enthusiast. I cant stand the guy, but ill accept him as part of the hummer community. chrome or not...its a hummer and they all are accepted in the community. as stupid as it sounds, the color of the wheels has nothing to do with being an enthusiast. you guys are too wrapped up on "chrome wont get you home" and all this other BS. im not a fan of chrome on some cars. like my camaro. but i dont make fun of or tell someone that chrome on your car means your not an enthusiast......

rant over.....

Last edited by 2010_5thgen : 11-03-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
oh man....where to begin..... ok. i have a 07 H2 wi the chrome package. it came this was from hummer. i just bought 20" chrome wheels and im putting on 37" tires..... does this mean im not an enthusiast? i love this truck. ive had it over 3 years now and havent had any intuition to get rid of it. i am a true enthusiast. absolutely not. do i have to have black wheels to be an enthusiast just because you dont liek chrome? no...this is getting out of control. do i take my hummer off road? nope. never took it through a trail or anything. i bought the truck because i lve what it stands for. just because LeBron put 30's on his hummer, doesnt mean hes not an enthusiast. I cant stand the guy, but ill accept him as part of the hummer community. chrome or not...its a hummer and they all are accepted in the community. as stupid as it sounds, the color of the wheels has nothing to do with being an enthusiast. you guys are too wrapped up on "chrome wont get you home" and all this other BS. im not a fan of chrome on some cars. like my camaro. but i dont make fun of or tell someone that chrome on your car means your not an enthusiast......

rant over.....

WOW! Ok...

Perhaps I should start by clarifying my usage/definition of the term 'chromer.' In my opinion a chromer is anyone who goes out of their way to replace, coat, and cover as many accessories as they can on their truck with some form of plastic or metal chrome. I'm not referencing those of us that sport the stock chrome packages; hell, if I was, then I was a chromer for years while I rocked the chrome grill, brushguard, side-steps, and mirrors.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chromer

Now, back to my response: By definition an enthusiast is simply a person who is filled with absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest. Can a chromer be an enthusiast? Sure. Can a stocker? Sure. Hell, even that Corolla-owner can be a Hummer enthusiast. Anybody can...

I merely said, "chroming these trucks out, IMO, doesn't put the owner in the enthusiast category..." I'm not saying that it 'excludes' them from being an enthusiast; I just wouldn't automatically lump them into the category because I see they've spent a couple Gs to bling up their ride.

That said, I admit that I do use chrome as an 'indicator'...I have found, in my opinion and in my neck of the woods, that those who bear the loads of chrome tend to be enthusiastic only about being seen and noticed and would prolly be just as happy in a chromed out Navigator. In my experience they usually are not 'Hummer' enthusiasts (they just want some paparazzi)...hence the non-waving.
SIDE NOTE: I bet they'd wave at me if I was in that chromed out Gator.

In the end it's to each his own...this thread was just trying to dissect the possible motives behind the wavers and the wave-nots.

PS: But the chrome really won't get you home...well, unless you're stranded, then I guess it would reflect the spotlight from the search chopper better then some of the blacked out rigs.
...just POKING FUN! ...but seriously...

Last edited by guruerror : 11-04-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Hummer Expert

i understand what your meaning better now. i havent seen any hummers in my area like your describing. theres a few hummers with 20's, a few blacked out. not many lifted though. but i havent seen any hummers "blinged out". most people that i see with hummers, have a bit of class.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
...most people that i see with hummers, have a bit of class.
LOL...I wish that was the case around here. I'd like to see more 'class' or 'bad a55' and less Autozone-chrome.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

atomicgoofball is on a distinguished road

are we all friends again here?

I think that chroming and modding a car/truck is fine as long as it is done in good taste, with quality, and with respect to the vehicle.

5thgen, you know what your doing and you know how to build your car the way you envision it. KUDOS to you bro! I do agree with GURU as far as the pep boy special cars, they just slap whatever they want on their cars and think they are gods gift to the roads!

How many times have i had these ricer civics drive recklessly to catch up to me in my supercharged Z to try and "Race" me, only to speed off like they are in the scene of fast and furious.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

5thgen, my apologize for that, the guy above explained on behalf of both of us, sounds like you have put time into your rig and dont just say "chrome? yeah i have more room for that!" and slap another 20 square foot of it on.

im a big fan of chrome especially on 18 wheelers but it has to be done CLASSY!
i have seen some hummer with chrome that looks great, when i got mine it had chrome lighe bezels, chrome handle surrounds, and the other stock chroms package stuff. i made the dealer take off the handle surrounds and the chome vents beside the hood. it looked classy, its just no how i roll. we should have been a little more clear about what we meant. and around my town there are right many of those chrome everywhere hummers....
-vision x rock lights
-5%tint all around
-dual "whips"
-leveling kit
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicgoofball
...fast and furious.

GB: Fess up...that IS your favorite movie, isn't it? I bet you've got the box set playing in a loop on the screen in your truck!

Just jokes...your Z is bad-a55, though (and very green)!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
GB: Fess up...that IS your favorite movie, isn't it? I bet you've got the box set playing in a loop on the screen in your truck!

Just jokes...your Z is bad-a55, though (and very green)!
Hahahaha!!! You got me man! I used to watch them
To sleep! I'm guilty as charged
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

goofball! oh my gawd your z is sick, watched you youtube vid. the exhaust note it ridiculously awesome!
-vision x rock lights
-5%tint all around
-dual "whips"
-leveling kit
Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
goofball! oh my gawd your z is sick, watched you youtube vid. the exhaust note it ridiculously awesome!
HAHAH thanks guys!!

have you seen this clip?

http://youtu.be/vVbpR4d7sx0

Me revving the engine
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

yes! i love the idle sound, im not much for high pitched car such as most japanese cars. but yours really does sound right! im just a sucker for american car's deep low rumble. im a muscle guy
-vision x rock lights
-5%tint all around
-dual "whips"
-leveling kit
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
yes! i love the idle sound, im not much for high pitched car such as most japanese cars. but yours really does sound right! im just a sucker for american car's deep low rumble. im a muscle guy

haha thanks!! Coming from a muscle guy that actually means a lot!!
I love the sound of a beefy v8! The VQ engine on the Z has a distinct sound which is what I like, with the exhaust combination (test pipes, Xpipe, true dual, cams) it helped give the car a more "exotic" sound.

I can't wait to beef up the sound of my 6.0 vortec! haha
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Hummer Expert

there is alot of chrome ive seen in catalogs and on line for these trucks. i hate it how companies make this junk. the sad thing is that people actually buy it. it was the same case with my camaro. lots of companies made nasty aluminum and chrome pieces to stick in every crack of the car. i like the chrome that gm put on the hummer, but i dont like the other add ons. like the gill chrome on the front fender or the rear vent chrome. just looks like a bit much. i debated for a long time whether or not to get chrome or black wheels. and i went with chrome because unless i blacked everything out, the black wheels wouldnt have looked right. so i went chrome. they should look great
Old 11-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

god forbid someone puts on those chrome door sill things! especially hideous when they dont even put them but 3 foot up the door then stop!
-vision x rock lights
-5%tint all around
-dual "whips"
-leveling kit
Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Hummer Expert

tyler1bo is on a distinguished road

I don't normally wave, but I ALWAYS notice when another beautiful H2 is on the road
AMP Research Steps
10" JL Audio sub w/ box and amp
Truxxx Lift 2.5" F-1.5" R
4" Rancho Lift
Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
Spare Removed
RealWheels Eliminator Kit w/o hooks
Defenderworx hooks
Body matched grille
Ford Raptor 6.2L emblem
GS Creations Plexi-glass tail light and front turn tint
RealWheels Oversized Black Hood Handles
Recon Smoked Cab lights
More...

Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Decade is on a distinguished road

Actually, my wife is the one who got me started waving to other Hummer owners. I have 5 other H2 owners in my neighborhood, and only one waves back. I just don't understand why others don't get it.

As far as most H3 owners are....
Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chroming these trucks out, IMO, doesn't put the owner in the enthusiast category...in MOST cases.

thank god we all have our own opinions

Quote:
I'd like to see more 'class' or 'bad a55' and less Autozone-chrome.

well, offer up your American Express card and lend a hand to the "Chromers" Try suggesting that they do as you want them to do, or simply respect other people and their custom car ideas. If you define your Hummer as Classy, more power to you. We all respect that, but lighten up!!

There is alot more to be criticized(sp) in that post you made, but I go other stuff to do. My chrome wheels on the Benz has break dust build up. Later

Last edited by StockStar : 11-12-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

we all have our opinion as you stated, he is simply doing that. he isnt saying they cant do it, or trying to keep them from do it, he is stating that he doesnt like this and neither do it,

your in america. freedom of speech
-vision x rock lights
-5%tint all around
-dual "whips"
-leveling kit