H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Hummer Novice

njhomer is on a distinguished road
Default Crooked 2006 H3 - driver's side sits lower.

I purchased an H3 about three weeks ago and noticed it within a few days that the vehicle is not level left to right. It sits 3/4" lower on the drivers side, both front and rear. It appears to be a suspension problem. I've done several measurements on the vehicle and the suspension on the drivers side is compressed more then the passengers side. The distance between the fender flare & ground, and the bottom of the frame rail & the ground shows that the driver's side is 3/4" lower then the passengers side. Both the front and rear have a 3/4" difference left to right. The rear shock tube on the passengers side is extended more then the driver's side. I've also noticed that the driver's rear wheel doesn't sit the same as the passengers, it looks like the bottom is titled in and that it doesn't stick out of the fender well as much as the passengers side. Vehicle weight, gas tank level, etc. doesn't make a difference. I have about 2,000 miles on my H3 and it rides fine and I am not seeing any abnormal tire wear yet. I have a service appointment scheduled at the dealer for next week. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also I've seen several posts here about having the front torsion bars adjusted at the dealer. When you asked the dealer to do this were they open to it or did they give you a hard time. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crooked 2006 H3 - driver's side sits lower.

Sorry about your problem. Welcome to the forum.

I haven't seen very many people with this problem. Some dealers are more than happy to adjust your torsion bars. My dealer wouldn't because they won't do anything that effects ride quality. Just ask your service manager when you take it in. It is easy to do yourself, after you get your ride level.

Remember to have an alignment done after you turn the t-bars.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. if you search the threads you can find a guy who was really obsessed with it and had some fixes. I am fat and know what the dealer will say when i roll up bitchin about it.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Hummer Novice

The more I read I am wondering if the torsion bars are not adjusted correctly. The front left corner is low, 3/4" lower then the right. I'm wondering if the left front being low is causing the right rear to rise up. I know this applies in racing when your tryign to shift the weight from on corner to the other. Does anyone know the stock ride height of a H3 with the LUX package?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, look at any GM truck, they all lean to the left.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just posted on this same issue in another thread. Look about and check for the discussion - it was very well rounded

It is in the general H3 Discussion Forum.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Hummer Novice

I got my truck leveled. I got daring and started adjusting the torsion bars. The left and right front were out of balance, the right was too stiff and the left was too soft. The left front being soft was allowing the right rea to rise up. I visted my local Hummer dealer and took measurements on several 2007 H3's. The surprising part was this is a big issue, i checked over a dozen vehicle and no two H3 sat the same. They were all at different heights front and rear and all leaned to the left between 1/4" - 1". For my H3 I ended up stiffing the left front torsion bar by 2 3/4 turns, and softening the right front by 2 1/2 turns. The truck is now level left to right int he front and the rear and has a 2 1/4" rake in the front. It also rides much better and the feel in the steering wheel is more even when taking bumps. Before the adjust the right front took bumps much harder then the left.

In short I can't image a dealer taking the time to do this. The adjustments were very simple, but I spent the better part of a day making slight adjustments, driving the vehicle, rechecking my measurements and then adjusting it again. I'm off to get a wheel alignment Monday and put this behind me. Thanks for the advise.