H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-28-2005, 06:15 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

I just ask my brother who is a litagation attorney and he said it's part of the Lemon law...

I am not an attorney...so I don't know the details. I just asked him for the hell of it..
Old 08-28-2005, 06:30 PM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

Ugggh this is so tiring after a while....did I say that out loud??

C.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:16 AM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In case any of you read my others threads regarding a knocking noise that is only heard when the truck warms up. Or you may have read my complaints about excessive vibrations coming thru the gas pedal. When the dealer has diagnosed the rear-end as the culprit. Now am just playing the waiting game until Hummer comes out with a solution. I plan on bugging them about every 2 weeks until its repaired. In the meantime I am driving around with the issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting. I have had the startup thing happen a couple of times, but not the pedal. I have 850 or so miles on it right now. I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Lady:
I just ask my brother who is a litagation attorney and he said it's part of the Lemon law...

I am not an attorney...so I don't know the details. I just asked him for the hell of it.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't argue with an attorney (did it in my past job too much) ; however, this is all I found in the MI statutes in regard to a rental (or loaner) vehicle:
"MCL 257.1403. Replacement of motor vehicle or refund; allowance for use; reimbursement for towing costs and costs for rental vehicle; consent to replacement of security interest; presumption; performing repairs after expiration of warranty; extension of time for repair services.

Sec. 3. Para 1
...Whenever a vehicle is replaced or refunded under the provisions of this section, in those instances in which towing services and rental vehicles were not made available without cost to the consumer, the manufacturer shall also reimburse the consumer for those towing costs and reasonable costs for a comparable rental vehicle that were incurred as a direct result of the defect or condition."

Maybe I'll check with my old workmates in GM legal later today, if I have time.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM

Vegas-H3 is off the scale

Well, I after first being told they should have the rear-end replaced "in a few days", I pressed the issue and just confirmed that the rear-end is on "back order". No date on when I can expect my H3 back. They said it could be 2 days or 2 months. Now what????
Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

I found out today what the cause was - workers on the line did not wash out the sand cast rear cases and sand is in the case eating at the bearings. It take milage to make the noise. Over 3K to be exact...Mine is effected along with a lot of early production models. I will have to replace ours as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

montanah3 is off the scale

I found out today what the cause was - workers on the line did not wash out the sand cast rear cases and sand is in the case eating at the bearings. It take milage to make the noise. Over 3K to be exact...Mine is effected along with a lot of early production models. I will have to replace ours as well.[/quote]

Do you have VIN numbers or production times on those that may be affected?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Lady:
I found out today what the cause was - workers on the line did not wash out the sand cast rear cases and sand is in the case eating at the bearings. It take milage to make the noise. Over 3K to be exact...Mine is effected along with a lot of early production models. I will have to replace ours as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless there are two faults, Hummertech posted the correct cause yesterday in another thread.

Hummertech posted this information:
"The problem with the rear ends is simple and it could be in any vehicle with any optiions. The problem is this, the supplier that supplies the axles for GM had a batch of them go out that did not have the lapping compound cleaned off the gears. This compound is gritty, and after a thousand miles will chew up the bearings some.
It is all covered under warranty, no easy way to tell if yours is affected or not without just driving it and seeing if a noise develops.
Sorry but some of you will have the trouble of having to get this fixed. Many will not. At least it's not a design flaw or something more serious. Just an idiot at the GM supplier."

This was confirmed as the problem before I even read the thread from Hummertech. The problem can come a lot earlier than 3K miles. Some have failed at 1K.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:02 PM

richk is off the scale

Mine began making occasional weird noises after only 500 miles. Now I am just over 2k and it keeps getting worse (cluncking/vibration/etc). If the deterioration keeps it current pace it may not be driveable in about 3-4 weeks.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

GM will not give this out at this time. They are handling this on a one to one basis.

To get it approved for a replacement, the service manager must file a report and have certain criteria at hand....
Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

This is what was told to me by an official at GM's tech department and the service manager...

Well what ever it is, it's eating the darn thing up...
Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

They told me that 3k miles is the break point of the noise, base on complaint and estimated wear time...

If some reported it at 500 miles, then they had more grit and it eat it faster...

makes sense.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richk:
Mine began making occasional weird noises after only 500 miles. Now I am just over 2k and it keeps getting worse (cluncking/vibration/etc). If the deterioration keeps it current pace it may not be driveable in about 3-4 weeks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contrary to what you have just been told, if your rear end is making a noise, and it can be verified by the technician, the Service Manager does not have to file a report to order the part. Can't say how long it would take to get the part, since that would be GM Service Parts and I do not work for them. What I just read by another poster would make me think that they will not cover this under warranty unless they get approval, and this is not correct.
All warranty repairs are handled under a one-on-one basis, and they will not order a part unless they can verify a problem. They will also not take the rear cover off to see if you have the problem....UNLESS it is launched as a Service Campaign (aka Recall). At which point, you would be notified by mail, and the dealer would perform an inspection and/or replace the rear end. But the numbers are so small there is no need for a campaign.

However, when a part fails under warranty, no extra paper work is required to order the part. The extra paper work and report might be requested by Technical Assistance in Grand Blanc, Service Engineering in Warren, MI or by the supplier, but if a part fails under warranty, it is covered and will "eventually" be replaced.

Warranty data is showing a greater number coming in sooner than 3K. The earlier the failure, the greater the amount of grit, is correct.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:38 PM

richk is off the scale

The service tech wrote me an email today saying his boss called Hummer and "we are waiting for G.M. to release differentials. Till then we wait". Doesn't sound like the dealer is willing to rattle any cages at corporate to get me fixed quickly. I wouldn't mind doing some calling myself. Maybe I can get some action going. Anyone have any suggested phone numbers and/or contacts for me to call?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Try the customer assistance center number, that might help. However, if the supplier is having difficulties producing enough axles, there is not much GM can do. These suppliers produce axle for other companies and can only produce X number per day.
I feel for you, and would be peed off too if it was me.
If out of service for more than thirty business days in CO, you can enact the lemon law.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 PM

richk is off the scale

Update: I got my selling dealer involved (White's Mountain Hummer in Casper, WY) and they were able to contact the right people. I got a call this morning from the GM regional manager for the Wyoming area and he said that a new rear axle is being shipped from Detroit to the dealer here in Denver and should arrive in 5-7 business days. The regional manager was very professional and said he was going to make sure that my H3 got fixed asap. He even gave me his cell phone number in case I needed any more help. I would like to publicly thank my salesman, David Swanson (in Casper, WY) for taking on my problem and running with it. He did an awesome job and got results.

So now I am waiting for the axle to arrive so that I can get my H3 fixed. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" approach worked for me!