H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Hummer Novice

tattoou is on a distinguished road
Default Trans slips when it goes to 3rd

My tranny started slipping today while shifting from 2nd to 3rd, its like the solenoid isn't pushing it in 3rd, 1st and 2nd are fine then around 40mph the revs go up when it comes out of 2nd and then nothing, had to drive home in 2nd. Fluid is full and red, looks good, Is there a fuse or something for the shift solenoids ??
Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale
Default Re: Trans slips when it goes to 3rd

You burned up your 3-4 clutch inside the transmission. Needs to be rebuilt.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Hummer Professional

HUM GOOD has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoou
My tranny started slipping today while shifting from 2nd to 3rd, its like the solenoid isn't pushing it in 3rd, 1st and 2nd are fine then around 40mph the revs go up when it comes out of 2nd and then nothing, had to drive home in 2nd. Fluid is full and red, looks good, Is there a fuse or something for the shift solenoids ??

mine did this at 40,000. hopefully your still under warranty.
Are you? If not call hummer directly(corporate), they may help with some.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

yeup, sounds like your 3-4 clutch is burnt or going, soon.

unfortantely, the 4l60e is at its limits with 345hp and almost 7klbs. Even in my stock camaro, i had it go on me. I never really abused on it, its just heat, poor oil lubrication, sprag count, etc.... its makes the trans prone to failure. I had hoped the H2 came with a 80e but whatever, i guess we need the gearing of the 60e to get this thing of the line.

anyways, with your warranty ok, you should have no problem with the service. I wouldn't expect to pay a cent with something like this. If anything, you could add a decent trans cooler and with some practice, that trans will live a bit longer. One thing for sure, try not to go in 4th/od gear at or close to WOT. Also, never manually shift on the street and try to avoid as many 4-2 and/or 3-1 gear shifts.

good luck!!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

GasGuzzler is off the scale

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25445

2 things might have gone wrong in your rig. Both failed in my 2003 (gen 1 H2 w/ 50K miles).

1. Your tranny needs to be rebuilt. AAMCO did mine for about $2600.
2. You should open your hood and take a peak at your coolant reservior. Your coolant *should* be a clear orangy-red color. If you see a strawberry milk shake liquid in there, you will also need to replace your plastic reservior, radiator, tranny cooler, and all necessary hoses. AAMCO fixed it for $1400. They put in an aftermarket tranny cooler for better reliability.

#2 is caused by the defective tranny cooler. When it is working, it draws the tranny fluid to the radiator to be cooled. When it fails, the T-fluid will leak into the radiator and thus give you the strawberry milk shake looking liquid in your reservior. You tranny will then overheat and wear out your "bands" over a short period of time.

My Hummer dealer will fix both for about $8000.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Hummer Professional

here's a dumb question, how long is the GM warranty for? 36k or miles than that?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Can the new 6-speed tranny be paired up easily with the 2006 motor? I.e., if you replaced your '06 tranny, could you do it with the new one?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Elcova Rookie

MJB_Hummer is off the scale

wanted to let you know...My 2003 was slipping and also shifting way late. AAMCO and my dealer both said what everyone here said. Burned up clutches and need to rebuild transmission. I saw a GM service bullitin, I think somewhere on this forum, anyway that said slipping problems repaired by cleaning valve body. I also noted my fluid looked really good. I took it to a friend of a friend (builds racecars) and he dropped the pan. He also noted fluid looked good and NO clutch material present in the pan. He cleaned the valve body, replaced the filter and fluid and it is shifting fine now. I have only had it back for a few days but so far so good for $500. Just FYI.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian
here's a dumb question, how long is the GM warranty for? 36k or miles than that?

For the 2003 model, without extended is 36K miles or 3 years.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Good job! That's the reason I like this owners forum. Thanks for the heads-up. Excellent info.

With that said, the indicator of an expensive tranny repair is the strawberry milk shake in the radiator reservior! You have to check the radiator and tranny fluids! They will tell you if you need an expensive repair.

WATCH OUT EVERYONE!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB_Hummer
wanted to let you know...My 2003 was slipping and also shifting way late. AAMCO and my dealer both said what everyone here said. Burned up clutches and need to rebuild transmission. I saw a GM service bullitin, I think somewhere on this forum, anyway that said slipping problems repaired by cleaning valve body. I also noted my fluid looked really good. I took it to a friend of a friend (builds racecars) and he dropped the pan. He also noted fluid looked good and NO clutch material present in the pan. He cleaned the valve body, replaced the filter and fluid and it is shifting fine now. I have only had it back for a few days but so far so good for $500. Just FYI.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Hummer Professional

"Sir, the radar sir, it appears to be... jammed!!"

Hmm.. that it interesting findings.