H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

I've asked this a couple of months before, but maybe there's new info on this topic now? I would like to switch my BCM (e.g. the trip meter) from miles to km. When you insert your ignition key, the "km" light on the BCM comes on, so there actually must be a possibility to switch (yet all canadian H3s have it in KMs).

Does anyone know, whether there's a secret key combination to switch between miles and km? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

I've asked this a couple of months before, but maybe there's new info on this topic now? I would like to switch my BCM (e.g. the trip meter) from miles to km. When you insert your ignition key, the "km" light on the BCM comes on, so there actually must be a possibility to switch (yet all canadian H3s have it in KMs).

Does anyone know, whether there's a secret key combination to switch between miles and km? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33 AM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

I checked the GM Service Information Website at our Dealership and there is no information about switching Miles to Kilometers. It just decribes the location and function in the DIC (Drivers Information Center). I was told that because it is an american vehicle it can't be switched.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

I doubt that they would do two different DICs for the US and for Canada. Also, the "km" light is seen, when you insert the ignition key, but goes off once you start the engine.

I'm sure that it can be done somehow. But "how" seems to be a well kept secret.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe I have the same answer as before... . It might be a calibration change or a flip of an electronic switch via the Tech 2.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
I believe I have the same answer as before... . It might be a calibration change or a flip of an electronic switch via the Tech 2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well... then thanks again. What exactly is a Tech2? Is that some piece of software?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

Here is some more information on found on the GM Service website regarding the odometer:

*The base instrument panel cluster (IPC) contains a season odometer and a trip odometer. Momentarily press the trip/reset switch on the IPC in order to toggle between the season odometer and the trip odometer. Press the trip/reset switch for greater than 2 seconds, while the trip odometer is displayed, in order to reset the trip odometer.

The body control module (BCM) calculates the mileage based on the vehicle speed signal circuit from the powertrain control module (PCM). The BCM then sends a class 2 message to the IPC indicating the value of the odometer. The odometer will display 'error' if an internal BCM memory failure is detected. The odometer displays either miles or kilometers and the desired units can be accessed by pressing the trip/reset switch.*
Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1COOLH3:
The odometer displays either miles or kilometers and the desired units can be accessed by pressing the trip/reset switch.* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow... that's a close one. But I still don't know HOW to press the reset stem. I did reset the trip-meter a couple of times, but it never gives me the option of choosing between km or miles.

Did you ever try that yourself... or do you know what the heck they are talking about, 1COOLH3? To me, the only method to reset the tripmeter is to hold down the reset stem... and it doesn't ask you whether you want it in miles or km.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Hummer Guru

ICOOLH3 must read the owner's manual (I'm always reading the service manual). From what he quoted, it appears if you hold down the reset stem continously for over two-seconds it will switch between KM and Miles. I'll have to check it sometime, but I can't take a change on resetting the odo, doing a long city fuel mileage test.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:07 AM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

I drove to Canada and it switched to km automatically.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hummerdonthurtem:
I drove to Canada and it switched to km automatically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nah.... seriously? Via OnStar???
Old 11-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

I tried holding down the reset stem for up to 10 seconds... but nothing changed. I tried it in all possible ignition key positions (even with removed key). Did anyone else manage switching to km?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:22 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

Well I went out and tried several things to try to get to KM but no success. I even switched the language to French but no change.

I end up clearing the Trip Odometer but I dont care anymore- I've done the gas mileage thing 3 times and its always around 13.7 with mostly ciy driving. Thats shameful for a 5 cylinder- my V8 Yukon does better than that.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Hummer Guru

I'm getting about 15.1 city and 18.85 hwy.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hummerdonthurtem:
I drove to Canada and it switched to km automatically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can you please confirm whether this was true or BS? Thanks...
Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Guru

I do believe it was a joke.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
I do believe it was a joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree... but with OnStar aboard... you never know.

How's your progress with the backup sensors coming?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Onstar does not monitor your vehicle except furing certain conditions.
One, you push one of the buttons.
Two, your VCIM (onstar module) sends out car information that it is programmed to send to onstar, with your permission, once a month.
Three, the VCIM detects air bag deployment, then they call, and if if no answer will send emergency crew, if you answer, they will send emergency crew if you request it.
Four, a police agency calls onstar and gives them a correct ID, and then onstar will locate the vehicle and rely information to the police agency.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Elcova Rookie

Vitaliy is off the scale
Default Re: Switchting from miles to km/h?

I did bought the Service Manual (in 2 volumes from Helm site) and it's written (in Volume 2) there that you can select the option of displaying by the odometer either miles or kilometers by pressing the reset switch. I live in the Ukraine, and yesterday at the service station they reprogrammed my 6 disk CD-Changer with FM-radio to 0.1 step instead of US 0.2 step in FM tuning with the help of Tech 2 tool, but they told me at the service station that they have no idea how to switch readings of the odometer from miles to km. Could please anybody help?
Vitaliy.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Lex_Ordo

Default Re: Switchting from miles to km/h?

Call the service technicians at the Hummer dealer service shop. They have to be schooled in all the systems that are built into the Hummer brand in order to be proficient in fixing problems.
The factory may also have a hand in the Odo measurement when the vehicle is built. For example if there is a production run for Cananda, then all vehicles in that run would have the Programming of the Odo measurement set up in Km. It is I'm sure as simple as a programming code that is set into the vehicles on board computer.
Same way mixture and engine timing can be altered.