H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-13-2006, 11:19 PM

turbalejo is off the scale

Cylinder one fix.

I spoke with aHummer advisor. He said it would take 2 days to complete once the parts are in.

There is a serious problem out of the factory, especially with Cylinder #1. Designated cylinder #1 is not seated properly. Similar H3 Hummers are having the same problem with #1. They order from the factory?, same problem! Scary…

No recall yet? Why not?

GM ordered local shops to machine fix ALL five cylinders to make sure all five sit in engine block properly.

I checked the site and called Hummer customer service. They are there 24/7 and are in USA

I spoke with a very nice lady, Aparna, apologizing for the problem. She put me on hold for a few minutes to call Hummer dealership to see what was going on.

She apologized again and asked if there is ANYTHING, they can do to soften the inconvenience.

I was surprised and replied, ‘what every you think is appropriate for being out of the car for 3 weeks.’
We are stuck with a boring Chevy Trailblazer rental for now.

This is my second veture with an American Car. I had a Ford F-150 in 1996 and after 12k miles, nothing but problems.
I had a Nissan and have a Toyota now, zero problems.
Now I have the great looking rig with only 8k miles.
Needless to say I hope the fix works and we go on problem free for many many happy Hummer owner years...

She wants us to call when we pick up the Hummer to see if all came out ok.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:19 PM

Cylinder one fix.

I spoke with aHummer advisor. He said it would take 2 days to complete once the parts are in.

There is a serious problem out of the factory, especially with Cylinder #1. Designated cylinder #1 is not seated properly. Similar H3 Hummers are having the same problem with #1. They order from the factory?, same problem! Scary…

No recall yet? Why not?

GM ordered local shops to machine fix ALL five cylinders to make sure all five sit in engine block properly.

I checked the site and called Hummer customer service. They are there 24/7 and are in USA

I spoke with a very nice lady, Aparna, apologizing for the problem. She put me on hold for a few minutes to call Hummer dealership to see what was going on.

She apologized again and asked if there is ANYTHING, they can do to soften the inconvenience.

I was surprised and replied, ‘what every you think is appropriate for being out of the car for 3 weeks.’
We are stuck with a boring Chevy Trailblazer rental for now.

This is my second veture with an American Car. I had a Ford F-150 in 1996 and after 12k miles, nothing but problems.
I had a Nissan and have a Toyota now, zero problems.
Now I have the great looking rig with only 8k miles.
Needless to say I hope the fix works and we go on problem free for many many happy Hummer owner years...

She wants us to call when we pick up the Hummer to see if all came out ok.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i drive mine about as hard as anyone here and have 9500 trouble free miles .
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pacey is off the scale

@turbalejo

I have a similar problem. Check out my thread:

here

My H3 is now in the garage for 6 weeks. And funnily I also got a Trailblazer as a replacement

Problem is that the engine spare parts are on backorder from GM. Since usually Engine failures happen only after a certain time, GM does not put them in stock in the early days of a model. Their latest idea for mine was to get a brand new engine out of production and replace it at the GM Headquarters in the Netherlands. But they could not tell me when this would be finished.

So I finally settled with the dealer.Gonna get a new one in 2 Weeks. Where u from? I guess not from the states.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

32,236 miles and the I5 is running fine. I talked with the people at Lynch and they have not heard anything about a #1 cylinder problem or for that matter any engine problem that is more than a very isolated deal. There are no GM tech bulletins out about this problem as of today - so your problem is isolated. The I5 has been in the Canyon for a while and has an outstanding track record for reliablility.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Chip is off the scale

This is the first I've heard of this. The I-5 is in other GM trucks. Have they had this problem in any other models?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Very strange indeed. "There is a serious problem out of the factory, especially with Cylinder #1. Designated cylinder #1 is not seated properly. Similar H3 Hummers are having the same problem with #1. They order from the factory?, same problem! Scary…"

Very strange since there is no PI issued by TAC for this concern (H3/Colorado/Canyon), and if it was as prevalent as described, it would be in the PI list. (Top 25 warranty hits on the H3 since first delivery do not even include engine/trans issues.)

Can a cylinder go out...in any vehicle...yes. Does this happen on the I-5...sure, just like on any engine (including Honda engines, which are said to be the best...remember, Saturn uses Honda engines, and we have replaced some of those engines).

There could be a quality spill from Tonawanda where the engines are manufactured. If so, usually these are caught quickly, and engines held. Or it could be a one time problem.

I have 7300 miles and the only thing wrong is I can't keep it clean, squeaky idler pulley, squeaky stab bushings, and now I noticed a cracked roof rail. Engine...nothing at all wrong.

(By the way, the Hummer assistance center, is also known as the Premium Car assistance center (Cadillac, GMC and Hummer), and is in Austin, TX.)
Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 PM

HummerJim, f5fstop Pacey and the rest, Many thanks for your valuable insight and similar experience.

The dealership also mentioned at first, only black H3s were affected. Ours is Boulder grey. A bit funny he would mention it.

As of today, It should be all done and back to me by this Friday.

Premium Car Assistance? I like the sound of that.

Cheers, TU
Old 02-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

The dealer representative actually stated the only Black H3s were affected? Honestly, they do not put different engines in black h3s versus white, gray, blue, red, yellow, etc. If there was problem with the engines, I would guess it would be mathematically improbable for it to be only in black H3s.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:59 AM

trail humper is off the scale

Mine is black and 15,000 miles. It's been running great.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey timgco had a black one with the tranny problem , i think the black ones get a different engine and tranny
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

I have the same problem with my H3, EXCEPT it is cylinder three. Check my thread in the technical discusion titled My H3 is Broken
Old 03-02-2006, 02:52 PM

thank you Av1ator.
I just got the call.
It is ready to pick up today.
gm called and apologized again.
If they fixed it the first time in and out, I will be very happy.