H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Elcova Rookie

quiksilver is on a distinguished road
Default Buying into this whole addiction, need your help

I'm in the market for an SUV. I've pretty much got the H3 bug from pretty much doing nothing else but oogling over you guys' rides on the forums for the last few days.

I know I want auto (I drive a stick now and love it on my IS300 but time for auto for wheelin' IMO). I pretty much narrowed it to white, silver, or graphite. Has to be 07 or 08 (no 3.5). I know I'm going 35"s eventually (probably BFG M/Ts). I love DIY and will get torsion bars, racks and no bling etc etc.

But here's where it gets a little shady and I need some direction from you.

There are a quite a few on the market in Dallas right now probably due to gas prices (blah blah). I can get a used Alpha for just over 30k or a used 3.7 for little less. I don't care so much if it has leather or not (will probably just Wet Okole them anyways). I don't care about nav or packages, I'd rather just do it myself aftermarket. I won't do a whole lot of serious serious offroading (aside from begging Neo to let me come to MOAB with him someday ).

Should I get the Alpha despite the mileage? I know it's not ALOT less mileage but, for my use I don't know that it's worth it. Sure it's the king, but I don't need to get to the grocery store fast or anything and the Black Sheep Squadron among others have proved the 3.7's ability no doubt.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying into this whole addiction, need your help

Its more of a obsession or certainly a passion for the H3...
Sounds like you have already identified much of what you need to make the decision. In my case I have the 06 with the 3.5 which works for me and after 2.5 years totally satisfied with it on all levels on and off road.
When its time to change I may move up to a alpha and pay for the mpg of the v8. Hoping by that time there will be a 6speed auto and manual tranny option to soften the blow of that 5liter kick!
Good luck with your choice
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Elcova Rookie

Thanks. I think I'll go drive them both this week but from what I hear from you and others, it may just be preference. I don't really NEED the v8. I've heard that with 35" tires the 3.5 and 3.7 struggle a bit. Ugh, I'm addicted and I don't even have it in my driveway yet.

I'd love to hear from more of you.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

remember if your going "07 theres no graphite color. And its also not a true silver its a "Boulder Grey" so it will look a little more sandy in some lights. I have an "07 which is the 3.7 and its certinaly more than fine for what i do. 242HP however is a little light and i feel it struggling at times. The V-8 is defintly an amazing upgrade on it with 300HP you really REALLY notice the difference, it just all comes down to if you want to spend the extra $$$. Also i see you said "no bling" the problem then lies within the alpha it only comes with chrome! You will automatically get chrome rims, and the chrome handles. Whichever version of teh H3 you go with you will be happy!

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Hummer Expert

BigPoppa1411 is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 Boulder Grey 3.7. I have only been offroading once and that very recently. Mostly its a daily driver and I have been very happy with the engine size for my needs. The color is great because of where I live is mostly rough dirt road to my home and the color hides the dust for quite a while. If I was to do more towing or heavier offroading I would have preferred waiting for the V8. But for my needs and limited offroading my wife and I prefer our 3.7 H3's.
Completely understand the "addiction" been having fun adding little things here and there to the 3's.
Either way you will be happy with your decision.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I have a 3.7L '08 Graphite Lux. I found it on the lot with no chrome except for the grill -- a bit rare. I love it with the black door handles and ext. mirror housings -- and may black out the grill at some point. Not big on bling. As mentioned above, the Alpha has chromed features.

I'll upgrade from the standard 32" tires to the 33" adventure size when the time comes. My off-roading (when I can) is mainly rough trails and gulleys -- no rock crawling.

I have seem a couple of Alpha drivers tout mileage that is essentially the same as I am getting in the 3.7L, which is great -- although it may not be the norm.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Elcova Rookie

Well, I went and drove both today. Still can't decide. I found a great deal on an Alpha so I'm sure that won't be there long but I can't decide if the gas mileage will be worth it. I have seen what the I-5 can do and I'm very impressed, I just don't know that it's worth the money and gas for the v-8 for me.

Either way, I'm definitely hooked on the H3 after my drives today. It's just a matter of time now.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road

..I'd definitely aim for Alpha as long as you don't mind the chrome stuff on it, or are willing to replace chromes with black parts yourself later. I didn't drive Alpha yet but doubt that the mileage would be much worse then 3.7L I-5 H3; the extra power of V8 could possibly offset the need for pressing the accelerator too hard too often, as seems needed with 3.7L H3. I get maybe 12-13mpg around the town; I don't count it.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

apparently the mileage isnt as bad becuase of what exactly Dave92270 said, its just about the same, give or take 1 or 2 mpg's if your using as much gas as the H3 does, whats another mpg less, im getting about 15 gallons per mile on my h3...just kidding miles per gallon, but ive spoken to a few alpha people there getting like 13-14

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 03-22-2008, 05:33 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver
Well, I went and drove both today. Still can't decide. I found a great deal on an Alpha so I'm sure that won't be there long but I can't decide if the gas mileage will be worth it. I have seen what the I-5 can do and I'm very impressed, I just don't know that it's worth the money and gas for the v-8 for me.

Either way, I'm definitely hooked on the H3 after my drives today. It's just a matter of time now.

Just a quick note...I have a O4 H2, and after paying 3.50per gallon today for gas I can still say its worth every hard earn penny. I love the power of a V8 compared to a 6 or I-5. Now you are coming from a Lexus Is300, I test drove a Is350, and the power was amazing, very fast. But, there just wasn't the sound of a V8. It only really comes down to what you like, what you need it for, and what you willing to pay for. Also, I do also get 15mpg of the hwy, its the city driving that isn't all that good. But, then again...I love my hummer enough to not care about the gas!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92270
..I'd definitely aim for Alpha as long as you don't mind the chrome stuff on it, or are willing to replace chromes with black parts yourself later.

Yeah, I'm very much a DIYer and all the chrome is coming straight off regardless of which I decide on I may even powder coat or Line-x those handles if I can't find a deal on some stock black ones.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Elcova Rookie

Thank you guys for all your help. I really did find a steal on a low mileage alpha, unfortunately I have to take a Series 7 exam on Thursday and studying over the last few days won't allow me time to get the logistics worked out on the trade in and I'm scared someone in the Dallas area on these boards will steal it out from under me LOL.

Luckily with rising gas prices and the economy struggling, I think the market here will continue to get flooded with these used Hummers in good shape long enough for me to try and snag a Alpha.

I'm truly in love with the H3 already and I was blown away with the new 08 I-5 I drove. I even yanked the gorgeous clean thing off the road for a second on the test drive and plowed over some dry gravel/grass (What? The sales lady just gave me the keys and didn't ride along, her fault ). I was highly impressed even with that engine and the overall ride. I could definitely be sufficed with the I-5 if I couldn't find another deal on an Alpha after my test.

I'm not in a huge rush other than you all have seriously lit a fire in me somewhere and I'm addicted and need a fix soon
Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

ive had a 06 manual and l0oved it. I now have a Alpha. Both were adventure and I loved both of them. Alpha deffinitely has much more power to move though. If possible id go alpha