Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 05-17-2006, 04:59 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale
Default Attn: gun experts

Sometimes I am forced to go into "the hood" for my business. Twice I have been threatened with a gun, attempted robbery once, close gunfire 3 times. Last time was today. Local police have literally told me (off the record) to carry a gun and if I HAD to use it, I would walk.

Not that I would, but if WAS going to carry a concealed pistol, what would you recommend?

I would want something that fits into my front pocket of loose fitting pants (so as not to instigate) - so of course a very reliable safety would be a must.

Stopping power is another issue.

I wouldn't want to spend a lot for obvious reasons.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Attn: gun experts

First...I wouldn't trust the cop! Make sure you get what he said in writting and notarized, and video tape that process and make sure you both are holding 2 forms of government id up to the camera.

Second, your best bet would be to find the gang that reps that area, they will offer you protection and you will just give them like 70% of the money you make doing business in that area. That's probably why you are getting hassled in the first place.

Third, you are probably going to get shot if you pull a gun on someone who already has a gun on you. But, get 2 gold-plated desert eagles and don't be shy about letting people see them.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:26 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Ya, OK that all seems like a good plan.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X
Sometimes I am forced to go into "the hood" for my business. Twice I have been threatened with a gun, attempted robbery once, close gunfire 3 times. Last time was today. Local police have literally told me (off the record) to carry a gun and if I HAD to use it, I would walk.

Not that I would, but if WAS going to carry a concealed pistol, what would you recommend?

I would want something that fits into my front pocket of loose fitting pants (so as not to instigate) - so of course a very reliable safety would be a must.

Any advice appreciated.
Buy a big can of Pepper Foam and put it in your front pocket.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
First...I wouldn't trust the cop! Make sure you get what he said in writting and notarized, and video tape that process and make sure you both are holding 2 forms of government id up to the camera.

Second, your best bet would be to find the gang that reps that area, they will offer you protection and you will just give them like 70% of the money you make doing business in that area. That's probably why you are getting hassled in the first place.

Third, you are probably going to get shot if you pull a gun on someone who already has a gun on you. But, get 2 gold-plated desert eagles and don't be shy about letting people see them.

I would go to a shooting range.
Most good ranges rent handguns for on site use.
Try out several makes, models, and calibers.
Save yourself some money and possibly a life, by buying a gun that "fits". One that you are completely comfortable with, and one that has enough stopping power to make a difference!
The best advice I can give you is:Whatever you get...
Practice! Practice! Practice!
A gun is useless(and more dangerous) in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it!
My conceal is a Walther P99 QPQ in 40cal. It's not the smallest gun, but it is one I have come to love and trust.
Glock make quite versatile range of carries, and so do most other manufacturers. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Don't forget to practice...
and a little prayer every one in a while helps too!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Any advice appreciated.

Where TF do you live? I wanna go there on safari.

I'd recommend something in a .40 caliber. You could actually drop someone with a .22 if shot placement is good(I might have heard about someone dropping a deer with a .22), but I'd go with the .40, as it's got better stopping power than a 9mm, but doesn't have the kick of the .45. Just my opinion.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you say what state you live in?
do they not have a concealed carry law?
If not, what's the penalty for carrying concealed?
If felony (some states), think hard about it.
If misdemeanor, I'd be a little less worried.

On the gun, do you really want to put it in your front pocket? If so, you need something pretty small. These work very well and aren't terribly expensive: http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html
You don't need to worry about an external safety - just get a pocket holster.

If you're seriously thinking about confronting a gang, know what you're doing at all times; get very good with the gun on a combat range or just shooting cans in rapid succession outdoors - hitting them repeatedly as they stop moving; Think about what you'll do ahead of time when attacked/confronted; and get a more-powerful gun. The Kahr PM series that Co Hummer mentioned on the other thread is very good (though I would go with the .40 S&W personally). You might want to get the Glock 27 also. It only a little bigger, has a longer barrel (there's a pretty decent energy increase going from a 3.0 to a 3.5" barrel), and holds 10 rounds (9 + 1). IMO though, the Kahr and Glock work better from a holster than the pocket, but they have jmore knockdown power.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Thanks Ric, This won't be a first gun. I have a few and have spent some time at the local range. Both pistols I have are great for home defense but way too big for what I need. I'm just not into it enough to know what to look for in something small.

I would never pull a gun on someone who had one pointed at me and everytime I have had an issue, pulling a gun would have been an easy last resort.

I've started a policy that keeps me out of those neighborhoods for the most part, but some of my best clients sometimes need me in those areas once in a blue moon and it's hard to turn them down when they are a huge part of my income.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Hummer Guru

[quote=MarineHawk]
On the gun, do you really want to put it in your front pocket? If so, you need something pretty small. These work very well and aren't terribly expensive: http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html
You don't need to worry about an external safety - just get a pocket holster.[quote]

I had a Kel-Tec in .380 and was uncomfortable to shoot. Granted, it is very small, but did not enjoy shooting it, and wouldn't place alot of confidence in a gun that cost less than $150!!!

Needless to say, I traded in that gun, I think for a case of ammo and a jerry can .

IMO

Ric

Last edited by RIC-H0 : 05-17-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
I'd recommend something in a .40 caliber.

Ditto. No service handgun cartridge has as much proven knockdown power as the .40 S&W with the possible exception of the 125 gr .357 Mag. See, e.g., http://www.chuckhawks.com/readers_ch...cartridges.htm
Old 05-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
Where TF do you live? I wanna go there on safari.

I'd recommend something in a .40 caliber. You could actually drop someone with a .22 if shot placement is good(I might have heard about someone dropping a deer with a .22), but I'd go with the .40, as it's got better stopping power than a 9mm, but doesn't have the kick of the .45. Just my opinion.

40 cal. Cool. When I bought my .357 for home defense I was talked out of a 9mm because it lacked real stopping power.

I live in a good town. I can leave my door unlocked but occasionally I need to work in the worst parts of Richmond Ca. I think last year it took out Oakland for the most violent city in Ca. I'm sure you've heard the rap it gotten. Most of the city is fine, I would walk through at night, but below 23rd it's getting bad.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Ditto. No service handgun cartridge has as much proven knockdown power as the .40 S&W with the possible exception of the 125 gr .357 Mag. See, e.g., http://www.chuckhawks.com/readers_ch...cartridges.htm

So two votes for the 40 cal. and I'm a fan of S&W.

Alec, ROFLMAO!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Hummer Guru

The 357 is da bomb!
My 1st gun was a highly polished 357 Colt KingCobra!
(Still got it, Still love it!)
That bad boy is dead on, and recoil is a dream, plus whenever you are low on cash you can still shoot the 38's.

Good luck on your purchase, and be careful!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Fine, if you want to brush off the rules of the ghetto I provided you with, at least remember to sprinkle crack on anyone you put down.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC-H0
I had a Kel-Tec in .380 and was uncomfortable to shoot. Granted, it is very small, but did not enjoy shooting it, and wouldn't place alot of confidence in a gun that cost less than $150!!!

Needless to say, I traded in that gun, I think for a case of ammo and a jerry can .
IMO
Ric

I wouldn't carry one somewhere when I was really expecting something to happen, because of the lack of firepower. However, I'm a lot more likely to have it with me and it's got enough firepower to do the job 98 times out of 100. I've shot about 500 rounds through mine without a single failure. They cost about $350 new - not $150 (you may have gotten a deal, but I've seen scores of them for sale in recent years and always between $340 and $390). My experiences have been pretty much the same as this guy: http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec_P3AT.htm
The advantage of the KT to me is that it's as powerful as a .38 Special but barely bigger than a set of keys. You can always have it with you. I wouldn't want to take on a gang with it, but that's because of the caliber - not the gun. It's not that I'm cheap - I own probably $20K in guns, but I can't findn a smaller, more reliable gun of decent power.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
40 cal. Cool. When I bought my .357 for home defense I was talked out of a 9mm because it lacked real stopping power.

I live in a good town. I can leave my door unlocked but occasionally I need to work in the worst parts of Richmond Ca. I think last year it took out Oakland for the most violent city in Ca. I'm sure you've heard the rap it gotten. Most of the city is fine, I would walk through at night, but below 23rd it's getting bad.

The 9 will work, but the .40 is a bit better:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/40s&w.htm

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm

Check this out: http://www.packing.org/state/california/
Old 05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
Fine, if you want to brush off the rules of the ghetto I provided you with, at least remember to sprinkle crack on anyone you put down.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Quote: California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND it is registered to you AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200.

SWEET!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I wouldn't carry one somewhere when I was really expecting something to happen, because of the lack of firepower. However, I'm a lot more likely to have it with me and it's got enough firepower to do the job 98 times out of 100. I've shot about 500 rounds through mine without a single failure. They cost about $350 new - not $150 (you may have gotten a deal, but I've seen scores of them for sale in recent years and always between $340 and $390). My experiences have been pretty much the same as this guy: http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec_P3AT.htm
The advantage of the KT to me is that it's as powerful as a .38 Special but barely bigger than a set of keys. You can always have it with you. I wouldn't want to take on a gang with it, but that's because of the caliber - not the gun. It's not that I'm cheap - I own probably $20K in guns, but I can't findn a smaller, more reliable gun of decent power.

Sorry, Didn't mean to dog your gun.
Just as previously mentioned, It's a personal preference!
and yeah, I did get a hell of a deal on it, but lost a little on the trade in, so I guess it was a wash!