H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummerguy32 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering is difficult when turning??

2003 Hummer H2. Been very cold up here in the Northeast. Used the 4wd hi the other day w/ no problems b/c of snow. Now when I make hard turn in and out of say a parking spot it feels like the parking brake is on or the 4wd (hi/lo) is still on when it's not. Looked at the front tire area no problem obvious broken pieces or anything. Checked the power steering fluid and it's level is fine. No error codes on the dash.

What do think the cause is? Any solutions? Thank You.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bulldog400 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steering is difficult when turning??

My 03 is doing the same thing. Is your service 4wd message on? Mine does the same thing when turning sharp in forward or reverse. I caused me to destroy a CV joint last week so I would get it checked out soon. If its a binding feeling in the front it bet its locked in 4hi lock. I'm taking mine back in this week for them to check the shift fork in the transfer case and Ill let you know what they come up with.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog400
My 03 is doing the same thing. Is your service 4wd message on? Mine does the same thing when turning sharp in forward or reverse. I caused me to destroy a CV joint last week so I would get it checked out soon. If its a binding feeling in the front it bet its locked in 4hi lock. I'm taking mine back in this week for them to check the shift fork in the transfer case and Ill let you know what they come up with.

Nope no 4wd message here. Man I heard about your problem I pray that I don't have that. Sorry to hear that bro. Please Help anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Try putting your truck into 4wd low and then reverse and back up about 30 or 40 feet. Put it into neutral and then put it into high 4wd. Now try going in drive. It sounds like you are locked in 4wd lock.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Bill
Try putting your truck into 4wd low and then reverse and back up about 30 or 40 feet. Put it into neutral and then put it into high 4wd. Now try going in drive. It sounds like you are locked in 4wd lock.

Tried that this morning Problem is still occuring. I here the 4wd lock and unlock when I did try what you said. No problems driving at high speeds and turning slightly while driving normal. Any other ideas?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Took it to the dealer today. Result Steering gearbox needs replacement. Cost $1,650 includes labor and parts. WTF...What do you thing on the price? I think I should get another quote. What do you think?

Also they mentioned that while there that the pitman arms and torsion bars should be replaced. I told them not right now. Can't I do this later w/o the help of the dealership? What the price on this project if I do it myself? Any recommendations. Mileage on the vehicle is 85,000 2003 hummer h2.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Hummerguy32 : 01-27-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

i would tell them to go **** themselves, but using worse language.

is that $1650 for just the sttering box alone?

you can buy an aftermarket steering box for low $200
another $10 for fluids.
disconnect and put in new box and flush the system..

pitman, Idler arm, and Pivot arm arent a bad idea to replace, and since you will have the gear box off anyways.. makes since to put a new one on the new gear box. that one is normally the toughest out of the 3 to replace anyways.. other 2 will be easy. and for a MOOG part, figure about $30 to $50 for each one.

Torsion bars........ i would be asking why he thinks they are that bad they need to be replaced?

the T bars are fairly cheap.. say $150 on up.

i have not had to replace my T bars, nor thought about it either.
i doubt this is going to be cheap, as it will involve a decent amount of labor.

im sure i could figure it out fairly easy, and i have ripped apart the front end on my H2 all the way down to removing the lower control arm.. from there its only a few bolts to remove the T bars. plus i doubt you would have to go through all that work for just the T bars either.

anyways, tell this dealership to go F themselves and find another mechanic, or do the work yourself. doing a steering box isnt very complicated. you dont even need to jack the vehicle up, nor remove any tires if you dont want too.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
i would tell them to go **** themselves, but using worse language.

is that $1650 for just the sttering box alone?

you can buy an aftermarket steering box for low $200
another $10 for fluids.
disconnect and put in new box and flush the system..

pitman, Idler arm, and Pivot arm arent a bad idea to replace, and since you will have the gear box off anyways.. makes since to put a new one on the new gear box. that one is normally the toughest out of the 3 to replace anyways.. other 2 will be easy. and for a MOOG part, figure about $30 to $50 for each one.

Torsion bars........ i would be asking why he thinks they are that bad they need to be replaced?

the T bars are fairly cheap.. say $150 on up.

i have not had to replace my T bars, nor thought about it either.
i doubt this is going to be cheap, as it will involve a decent amount of labor.

im sure i could figure it out fairly easy, and i have ripped apart the front end on my H2 all the way down to removing the lower control arm.. from there its only a few bolts to remove the T bars. plus i doubt you would have to go through all that work for just the T bars either.

anyways, tell this dealership to go F themselves and find another mechanic, or do the work yourself. doing a steering box isnt very complicated. you dont even need to jack the vehicle up, nor remove any tires if you dont want too.

HellZ Thank You so much for getting back to me. I LOVE U MAN!!!

Yea I called them up and said NO NO NO That's just for the steering box for the pittman,etc,.and gearbx they wanted @ $2500. I really can not afford that cost. I called a mechanic buddy ofminehe's getting back to me tomorrow. If he's higher than $1000 i'm going to do it myself. What you think the cost come down to without the T-bars?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

hard to say what the costs would be.

i think most shops chargwe about $80 to $100 per hour for labor

honestly tho, i try to do as much work myself and dont even think of taking it in to a dealership.

the steeringbox is on the drivers side and you can access teh bolts that hold it on through the wheel well.

if i remember, its 3 bolts... forgot teh size. im sure there is a good write up somewhere on the internet on how to remove and replace one tho.

im simplify things too much in my head, so i may make it sound simple, but the job maybe not...

how i think about it is simply remove the old one.
drain all the fluids out.
put new one in
put fluid in and crack the line at the gearbox until fluid starts to come out
pour in more fluid and then start the engine ( helps to have someone help with this ) keep turning the steering wheel left and right and fill the power steering pump until its full.

now, im sure it is a little more complicated than that.. but i think i could do that within 3 hours or so.

for the T bars.. i woudl ask again why he thinks they need to be replaced...
then i would get a 2nd opinion ( your mechanic buddy) and see what he says.

as for replacing them.. i think you can jack the front end up completely.
and unbolt the T bar cross member and slide the T bars out and replace with new ones and bolt back in.

i know there are videos out there on this, as i have seen them. just pay attention to the way the T bars are put back in, and pay very close attention to what is the left and what is the right T bar as they are made to bend in 1 direction only. putting one on the wrong side would be a big no no..

and again.. most parts i get prices on are aftermarket parts, and not AC Delco brand or OEM.. just whats on Ebay or the autoparts store.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Okay my mechanic friend is going to do the pitman arm, idler (Both Moog), steering gear box, ohh and the Cognita Steering kit. Though this will cure that steering problem but my 4wd in the rear still feels like it's on. I tried that trick mentioned above though it still is doing this. What else can I do to resolve that issue w/ the 4wd?????