H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ethanol H2's

Ethanol Hummer H2's
Ethanol Hummer H2's

Gasoline prices have forced many people here in Eastern Idaho to find more cost effective ways to travel.
For some, its using bicycles or walking to work.
So it may seem strange to see two hummers owned by the same company taking a road trip through Eastern Idaho.
Hummers are the cadillac of off-road vehicles, sold to millions of consumers despite the fact they guzzle gasoline at prices well over three dollars a gallon.
Alex Conger: "American's won't give up how they travel...they like their vehicles."
These hummer's are different - they use a corn based fuel called ethanol.
Alex Conger: "The only ethanol powered hummer in the western united states"
Full Flex International is a Merdian based company that sells and installs ethanol converters.
Alex Conger: "It installs on your computer between your computer and your injector on your car in a matter of minutes which allows your computer to be educated enough to run ethanol."
The alternative is, you don't have to buy a new car like the camery hybrid. It attaches to the car you already own.
Alex Conger: "That there is not a vehical out there that we can't convert to run on ethanol - not one."
Aaron Kunz: "Nobody has ever said that Hummers are fuel effecient. This H2 right here runs on ethanol but it also brings with it a message. Unless the consumer has the ability to purchase ethanol at their local gas station...why make that conversion."
Alex Conger: "In Idaho there's two pumps in the Boise Valley and in Nampa and Boise."
The converters cost between two and four hundred dollars...
Alex Conger: "But if the price of fuel is fifty cents a gallon less then it over weighs that lost and you're supporting the American economy so really its a no brainer."
But since gas stations lack the fuel - it makes it hard for the consumers to justify the expense. Thats why these hummer have to pack ethanol with them where ever they go.
Alex Conger: "Pocatello, Nampa, Blackfoot - anywhere we go...Idaho Falls is the fact that there is no E-85 fuel available for vehicles."
It's not like there isn't incentive for gas stations - yet most are still not selling bio-fuel...
Alex Conger: "They don't want to give up a grade of fuel that they are already selling. But the fact is, there is a lot of incentives out there from the government and other organizations to help the gas stations to convert over to running bio-fuels."
Thats why Full Flex International is targeting gas stations here in Idaho. Adding, price of fuel would likely attract customers who want to use a better - more clean fuel alternative.
Alex Conger: "They don't look at the grade of gas, what do they look at? they look at the price."
With the ethanol converters, your car can still operate on regular gasoline. Ethanol costs between thirty *and* a dollar twenty less than gasoline today.
Ethanol is available here in Eastern Idaho. More than thirty thousand gallons is stored in Pocatello. Full Flex International is looking for gas stations willing to sell the alternative fuel and they are offering incentives to those gas stations as well.

http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=6637945

I think CO Hummer should paint a lil corn cob on his.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ethanol H2's

thanks...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

That's all we need ,these things are slow and slugish enough already . for anyone who has driven a vehicle on an ethanol mix you know how it kills power and throtle responce.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

Kills power? Ethanol makes MORE power than gas! What i am worried about is corosion on the metal parts in the fuel system. I am interested in this and will be emailing them.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

nmu98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix1
Kills power? Ethanol makes MORE power than gas! What i am worried about is corosion on the metal parts in the fuel system. I am interested in this and will be emailing them.

--John

Ethanol has a higher octane than pump gas, but by no means does it have the power of pump gas.....It has about 70 percent of the BTU's that pump gas does.

IRA51 is 100 percent correct....
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

E85 would be great, but it's too expensive! I would just like a diesel in the H2.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Aficionado_VT is on a distinguished road

I second that!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

Bluehummer: I quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

"E85 has been repeatedly shown to produce more power than a comparable gasoline fuel, especially in engines that need high octane fuels to avoid early detonation.[3] Ford Motor Company found that power typically increased approximately 5% with the switch to E85"

Look anywhere on the web, even GM says E85 makes more power.

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

With E85 a dual fuel Tahoe gets 200 miles per tank instead of 300 miles per tank.

Power, blah, blah blah... I am not paying 88% of the price of gas for 67% of the mileage. It's expensive enough to drive a Hummer.

Also, If I was that worried about the environment, I would drive a POS prius, not a Hummer.

I produce as much pollution just STARTING my mustang as my Hummer makes in a year....

And guess what? I start it anyway. f*ck the tree huggers....
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

Don't confuse "power" with mileage, in other words, while E85 and other variants of ethanol are higher octane and will tolerate higher mechanical compression ratios (that's where power comes in), their BTU yield is lower than gasoline.

Without modifying the compression ratio, you'll see less power and lower mileage. If you were to swap pistons to achieve something like a 10:1 ratio, you'd get more power, but the mileage would still suffer from the lower BTU yield of what you were burning.

You can't break the laws of thermodynamics, less BTU's = less total output.

When someone says "we saw a 5% increase in output" without telling the whole story, they're misleading you. Sure, they saw a 5% increase in output but they burned about 28% more fuel to get it.

All the pro-ethanol people should consider what they're doing to the food markets, the price of beef and even beer has already risen due to the shift in crop demand. The impact on the environment from irrigation alone just to support E85 production should be enough to shut up the leaf lickers, but it doesn't.

The E85 bandwagon should have it's wheels knocked off, it yields less, it cost more to produce and still requires subsidation; lastly, it negatively impacts the food supply and environment.

It is not the answer to independence from foreign oil, flex fuel turbine / electric designs are (but they don't have the huge lobby E85 does).
Old 06-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Hummer Expert

I have heard that Ethanol is a health problem with it's exaust emissions.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Hummer Expert

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200...runc_sys.shtml
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson