H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tranny cooler installation

i live in Minnesota.. so your temps are actually warm for me

im not missing the point. if you are worried that you are over-cooling your tranny, get a winter bypass for it tha will warm up the fluid before it opens it up to the cooler.

yes that $5k was including some extra work on the H2.
the actual tranny cost was $3600 for a stage 2 kit (500HP), but thats not including install.
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillnc
This is also the temp the computer expects the transmission to run at, else it will keep cycling the transmission as if it is cold to protect it.
Care to elaborate on that statement?

What do you mean by the computer "cycling the transmission"?
'05 H2 Lux, 37" KM2's on 17" Hutchinson Double Beadlocks, Cognito UCA's, Cognito Sway Bar Links, Custom Hydro-Assist Steering Upgrade, Eaton Front Differential Locker, 1" Rear Coil Spacers, Chevy Green Key Torsion Bar "Lift," Bilstein Shocks, Warn 9.5ti Multimount Winch, Dual Optima Yellow Top Battery's, Piaa & Hella Off-road lights, Gobi Rack, Tru-cool External Transmission Oil Cooler, Diablo Predator Hi-Octane Tune.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road

Not allowing TC to lock/unlock correctly as well as keeping rpms higher to try and warm th transmission, notice how your Rpms get lower after the tranny has warmed up, while doing normal driving

Probably missed something
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

so here is the thing...

the viscosity of the fluid is going to warm up to whatever it is going to warm up at splashing around in the tranny and cycling through it.

Is that 60 degrees? 70, 80 or 90 degrees? not sure.

your cooler is going to cool at most to the ambient air temp outside.
there is no way it can go lower than that unless you have something else that is actively cooling.. I.E refrigerant type..

so the magical numbers are..
what is the oprating range the tranny needs ?
and ambient temps outside.

at most, the pump is the only thing that should really be affected by cooler fluid as it has to work a little bit harder.. but honestly, it will have minimum inpact
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

I am just curious how people are getting such accurate readings for their tranny temps?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

After some long driving the last couple days I've been keeping an eye on my temps for comparison.

One day the temp here was 95 outside the other 97 degrees. As you know AZ is pretty much no humidity unless its actively raining lol.

My coolant temp sits right around 190 and the tranny temp sits right around the same temp.

So here's the question since there is so much debate over using just the stock cooler and bypassing the radiator.

Is the tranny temp close the to coolant temp BECAUSE of the coolant being 190 degrees? One could argue both sides...

-the tranny temp is 190 because the coolant is and bypassing the radiator will allow the tranny to run a little cooler.

-OR does the tranny run hotter than 190 and the coolant is actually taking away heat as opposed to adding it?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Hummer Professional

Alright so my cooler is being installed, I'm going to try to finish tomorrow.

I'm installing mine slightly different, for one I kept looking at these pictures thinking WTF with how the driver side was connected, I was thinking Egan had used the original hole for the old cooler, finally I read he used a sheet metal screw, Doh.

Anyways, my cooler makes slight contact with my condensor if installed like in the pictures, the bottom of the cooler is too close .
What I did is bend the bottom supports, out at about 170 degrees, so instead of being behind the lower support, they can move further out over it allowing some room between the condensor.

Now I have to find some rubber isolators for the lower connection.

Last edited by iwillnc : 06-09-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Hummer Professional

Alright, so how I installed mine, I straitened out the lower attach points, I then put a rubber grommet I cut between the bracket and the lower attach point, where I attached both bottom brackets, using a tek screw.

On the top I only attached the driver side, using just a tek screw.
I bent the passenger top toward the vehicle but haven't decided if I'm going to attach.

I honestly don't see how everyone is installing this cooler without it rubbing the condenser, by using just the top brackets.

I notice no difference in a/c
Driving medium hard through country roads for 12 miles I managed to get it up to 148 degrees (F) outside temp 89
Old 06-15-2013, 01:54 AM

iwillnc
pictures if you can
I was actually just outside measuring my space to see if I can use another cooler that might fit better (where I can bolt top and bottom).
It might not have the cooling capacity, but then again if I am not always towing or off roading I would think it wouldnt be that bad.

Also, did we ever establish that just bypassing the oem first cooler, and using the second oem cooler on the front would work for as a temp solution?
Or did normal driving cause temps to really go up with that single cooler up front being used?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM

Hey all,
I just thought I would update this thread....
I do not work for Amazon OR Oregon Performance, and I am only doing this to help spread some information for those on the search.

I have been looking to do this mod for some time now and though money has always been short to throw into things other then repairs, I was finally able to do so. Of course money is still short, so I looked for the cheapest price to purchase for. It turns out that if you go to the previously mentioned website Oregon Performance (as linked by Egan), you will get a price of roughly 175 shipped. If you go to Amazon and look up the part or click on this link

http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-LPD47...+cool+4739+max

You will find it has them for sale, and off to the right side it will say "more buying choices". If you look, it will have Oregon Performance as a seller and the price is actually 40 dollars less ($133.95 with free shipping).
Best deal I have been able to find is this or similar to it.

Now dont get me wrong, I am all for the little guy making money and such, but if the same shop sells it on their site for 175 and then on amazon for 135... I would rather pay them the 135.

Anyways... Hope this helps someone too.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Hell I'm with you on that, I'll always support the companies themselves but if I can find a deal you bet I'm paying the lesser amount!

I've been meaning to do this for some time, added to my amazon cart!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Glad I could help with with some savings.

(and yeah I have been meaning to do it for some time too and figured I better do it now before I have issues and before I do my tranny overhaul (corvette servo, trans flush, new filter, possible performance kit, etc etc...))
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Egan is on a distinguished road

Weird - I paid $139 direct from Oregon Performance.
Cognito UCA's
Kryptonite Tie Rods
Kryptonite Swaybar End Links
Traxda Keys
Traxda Rear Coil Spacers
Bilstein Shocks
TruCool Tranny Cooler
Corvette Servo
Gobi Ranger Roof Rack
Gobi Bed Rack
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT: Nav, Bluetooth, iPOD, Backup Camera
Valentine 1 w/ Blend Mount
ATX Artillery 17x9 Teflon
Toyo Open Country MT 37x13.5x17
Old 03-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Hummer Expert

My tranny has always had a slow leak from a little access port on the bottom of the bellhousing. I'm a complete retard when it comes to transmissions so I couldn't even begin to guess what it could be. I just keep topping it off as I'm scrrd to take it in and see how much money it's going to cost.