H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

Is anyone involved in this? I am thinking about it.

For those that have no idea what I am talking about - http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease...6_3650,00.html
Old 09-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Hummer Guru

For those that have no idea what I am talking about - http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease...6_3650,00.html
Old 09-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the latset update from the GM website:
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...aid/index.html http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...aid/index.html
Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

deep water fording kits will sell like crazy now
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 09-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

Fever is off the scale

It is a good way to give back to the community for sure. I completed my my training 2 weeks ago and sent my application in awaiting certification now. Here is a letter sent out by The HUMMER Club Inc.

Dear Members,

The American Red Cross has called the Katrina aftermath the first national 'catastrophe' that they have deployed to in the United States. They consider this hurricane more than a disaster and bigger than the last 4 hurricanes combined. We are currently working with the Red Cross and one of our supporting dealerships in the area to set up a command center in the area for HOPE volunteers. At this time, Red Cross has NOT deployed 'damage assessors' to this unstable area. We will not be deployed until the area has stabilized and facilities are in place to house the volunteers.

Here is what we want you to do now:

1. Do not call the dealership or the HOPE program number offering help.
2. We will notify you by email and/or phone with a 'call in' number as soon as the command center is set up and will give you instructions on how you can help with the disaster relief. At this time, there are no facilities for volunteers. DO NOT JUST DRIVE TO THE DEALERSHIP!
3. Prepare your vehicle and expect to be deployed in approximately 7 days.

There will be an opportunity for all Club members to help with this catastrophe. We will keep you updated as new information becomes available. I send a special thank you to all who have called the board members today offering their help during this time and ask for your patience as the deployment schedule is put into place.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you are welcome to call your directors. We will keep you informed as soon as we have updated information.

Linda North
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

I have gotten my driver endorsement but still need to take the test and do my CPR class. As I understand it they might let the CPR/First Aid requirement pass for a little while to get people to help sooner.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

I'm a member of the HOPE program for 4 month now They have not called me yet to assist on the effort down in New Orleans; by the way I lived there for 7 years, I attended Tulane University for undergrad and a minor... I love that city
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 09-01-2005, 07:15 PM

shipbldr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ckhagman:
I have gotten my driver endorsement but still need to take the test and do my CPR class. As I understand it they might let the CPR/First Aid requirement pass for a little while to get people to help sooner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If in a time of crisis like we have now, they won't let you help because of a small technicality like this (especially when the need is so urgent)...

then they should have to face Larry King and answer questions like...

"So can you tell us why you let people suffer and die because the volunteer relief drivers didn't know CPR?"

As the Nazi's learned the hard way at Nuremburg, "I was only following orders" doesn't cut it when people are dying.

F--- them. You want to help, get in your truck and go. This is America dam it! You don't need anyone's permission to help in a time of crisis here.

Be the man. Make your own call.

Oh... and take you cell phone with you in case they need to call you in....

My hat is off to you for being willing to help them.

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 PM

Mike O is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JMVH2:
I'm a member of the HOPE program for 4 month now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would you mind describing the "Trail Endorsement" course? I've read the requirements on THCI's site, but I would like to know what level of off-road "expertise" is required. I'd love to become involved in the HOPE program, but I do not have much off-road experience (I hope to fix that soon though!).

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ckhagman:
I have gotten my driver endorsement but still need to take the test and do my CPR class. As I understand it they might let the CPR/First Aid requirement pass for a little while to get people to help sooner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If in a time of crisis like we have now, they won't let you help because of a small technicality like this (especially when the need is so urgent)...

"So can you tell us why you let people suffer and die because the volunteer relief drivers didn't know CPR?"

As the Nazi's learned the hard way at Nuremburg, "I was only following orders" doesn't cut it when people are dying.

F--- them. You want to help, get in your truck and go. This is America dam it! You don't need anyone's permission to help in a time of crisis here.

My hat is off to you for being willing to help them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really want to go and a friend of mine or more are already going. I have some things to work of at home though. In any case if I do not go my company is doing something for the cause so I will be acting in some way.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Root is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:

My hat is off to you for being willing to help them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really want to go and a friend of mine or more are already going. I have some things to work of at home though. In any case if I do not go my company is doing something for the cause so I will be acting in some way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm interested in going down with a U-haul trailer with energy bars and water, getting as close to the need as possible. I feel that we must do something -- the feds are just too scared at this point and people are dying.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a link with all the info on how to apply/join:
http://www.thehummerclubinc.com/home/hope.htm
Old 09-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:

For those that have no idea what I am talking about - http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease...6_3650,00.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm going to sign up and take the training. I've got at least one other Hummer owner in the area ready to take it with me.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Hummer Authority

I'm strongly considering it too.

The wife's a doctor and we're wishing we had be prepared this time and been able to do more then send money (none of the aid organizations are saying "You're not certified/trained? Come on down." They're saying, "make a financial contribution.").
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

Just received this today>>>>>

Subject: American Red Cross HOPE Updates

Hi all~

Just wanted to update all of you HOPE and potential HOPE members for the Red Cross. At the moment, we do not anticipate a Red Cross HOPE deployment soon. We still need to wait for some of the water to recede before the Red Cross can go in with you and our Damage Assessment volunteers. Please know that we appreciate your patience and look forward to this historical, first opportunity for HUMMER owners to provide direct help with their specialized vehicles.

An “advance crew” is looking into logistics, and we will contact you as soon as we know anything.

Yours,
Jeanette

P.S. Make your reservations now for the 77th Annual Meeting on September 22!!!!

Jeanette M. Simon

Executive Director St. Joseph County Chapter
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

Fever is off the scale

Would you mind describing the "Trail Endorsement" course? I've read the requirements on THCI's site, but I would like to know what level of off-road "expertise" is required. I'd love to become involved in the HOPE program, but I do not have much off-road experience (I hope to fix that soon though!).

Thanks
Mike[/quote]

The trail endorsement as of right now must be obtained at a HUMMER Club Inc. national HUMMER Happening and probably from the AM General training facility. It consists primarily of knowing the functions of all the buttons on the dash for offroad driving, the proper use of recovery gear ie winching and recovery straps and proper way to traverse obstacles. Supposedly they are trying to get the trail endorsement more accessable throgh local entities.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Hummer Authority

I requested info from the hummer club contact on the above web site link and in mere minutes got this reply from him. Very encouraging.

Now I gotta find a nearby HUMMER Club group/dealer to get trained at. Any recommendations for someone halfway between Minneapolis, MN and Des Moines, IA?

--------------------
Evan,
The HOPE program is set up to provide relief coast to coast. I would get signed up and get thru your training. The trail endorsement is offered at most HUMMER Club events and a select group of HUMMER Dealers coast to coast. There is a year to complete this element of the HOPE program.

get in the system, get trained, get on the list. We welcome your experience.
I will be available after this deployment for any additional questions that you may have. In the meantime please feel free to contact Linda for more details.

At this time there is no housing available for volunteers so we are going down to try to set something up.

I leave for Baton Rouge Sat.
Mike Morris
Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Hummer Guru

I have been talking with Mike about it, and am waiting to hear where the classes are near me.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:42 PM

oma is off the scale

Which classes? CPR/First Aid classes are through the Red Cross. You can usually get them through local hospitals if you leave in rural areas.

The Trail Endorsement has to be done at either a designated THCI event - Like the upcoming Durango/Moab event in mid-September, or one of the dealers who is able to offer it--which I do not know of any at this point and don't know where to find the list of dealers--they need to post this somewhere on the THCI website.

Sounds like the entire process needs to be a little more streamlined and I know they are working on making it easier to get all the qualifications completed. Unfortunatley, it's not something you can do overnight. If you are considering joining, do it now! Don't wait until the next catastrophy to decide to try to join. Do it now. You have to realize how many people bring their Hummers out to an off-road event and have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They find out they may get some damage and do not carry the appropriate tools/equipment. A national disaster is not the time to learn to drive your Hummer through various obsticals or get yourself stuck and not know how to recover yourself!!!!!!!!!! When the Red Cross needs to get pertinent people in, they need to know they have a driver they can trust and has experience. Not someone who has never done any fording and can't remember how deep of water they can get through.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:11 PM

TBDAugs is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We still need to wait for some of the water to recede before the Red Cross can go in with you and our Damage Assessment volunteers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?! That's precisely the problem isn't it...wait for some of the water to recede....

SOSAugs