H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdxhummerguy is on a distinguished road
Default Predator Motorsports Stage 4 Engine Upgrade

I have a 2002 H1. I have been talking to the folks at predator and the local dealer about having this upgrade kit put on the truck for not only added power, but added cooling as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or experience with similar upgrade kits? Any information would be appreciated.

http://www.predatormotorsports.com/i...ROD&ProdID=417
Old 10-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Predator Motorsports Stage 4 Engine Upgrade

I think the HP/TQ claims out of the Predator stage 4 are a bit generous. However, it will be an animal compared to your stock engine. As far as better cooling goes, no your truck will not run cooler. An intercooler will cool your turbo air if thats what they meant. But, people have tried for years to cool the H1 down, and in all honesty it has been to little of no avail. A word of caution about all the extra power: Its not always easy on your engine. I know of one owner that cracked his no 8 cylinder (on an updated block) and cracked both his heads after doing basically the same thing as Predators kit. He bought the stuff from the old manufacture of Predators performance products. Oh and the price of predators stuff is INSANE!

-007=
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

any suggestions as to other routes to go for more power and less cost?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Elcova Newbie

JeffShoots is off the scale

Did all that with Heath diesel to my '99 6.5L.

It has a little more pep but nothing surprising just makes merging in traffic easier.............My H1 is my daily Driver.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Hummer Authority

call down to Travis at Rubber duck 4x4. He sells the Heath stuff, and can set you up well for a fair price. Start with the proper gauges. From there I would get the mechanical wastegate, computer, injectors, and exhaust (if you dont already have one). That should get you a handsome increase in power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhummerguy
any suggestions as to other routes to go for more power and less cost?

-007=
Old 11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Elcova Newbie

JeffShoots is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
call down to Travis at Rubber duck 4x4. He sells the Heath stuff, and can set you up well for a fair price. Start with the proper gauges. From there I would get the mechanical wastegate, computer, injectors, and exhaust (if you dont already have one). That should get you a handsome increase in power.

Did all that with Heath. They gave me a great package deal and install was FREE saving me about 800 to 1200 dollars.

As I said before don't expect a night and day difference. Yes it has more power and the system works well but it's louder and spits a bit of fuel out the exhaust.

BTW: you need to add a larger fuel pump to your list.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Hummer Novice

2002H1 is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Predator Motorsports Stage 4 Engine Upgrade

I just had the stage 4 kit installed from predator.. Major Problems. Before I picked it up they called me and said a half shaft broke after the install. They fixed it at my cost of $600... Then I pick it up a day later. As soon as I leave the check engine light came on. I brought it back...They said they would tune it up and call me. A few days later they said "we have bad news, the tranny went out". I spent $5,600. at my cost to replace and build a "better" tranny. I then pick it up and the check engine light came on. They suggested to erase the message. Also, they put custom rims and tires on and the CTS system leaks in the front, but not their problem even though it happened after the rim / tire purchase.... It should be called STAGE 4 MONEY PIT, not Raptor Kit. Do not mess with the performance of the engine. MAJOR PROBLEMS and MONEY. And not much help!!! Poor Service. The same day as my final pickup a man was furious as his PCM broke in their shop and they tried to sell him there replacement. He had his H1 towed to the dealer. He must have been pissed to do that!!!! MONEY PIT KIT
Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yikes, that doesnt sound like any good at all. The H! is far to expensive an animal to be dealing with stuff going wrong item after item. I really appreciate the feedback and would love to hear any other that might be out there.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Hummer Authority

I would not be affraid to go after more power if you want to. Its on my list of things to do. Just be cautious with the extra power. I plan on a computer, injectors, wastegate. After I get a new exhaust system (mine cracked, but its straight piped already), and the gauges.

Quote:
Yikes, that doesnt sound like any good at all. The H! is far to expensive an animal to be dealing with stuff going wrong item after item. I really appreciate the feedback and would love to hear any other that might be out there.

-007=
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

So I decided to pass on the predator upgrade. This is very frustrating as I would not have even gotten started down this road had I not called and spoken with them extensively about it. The talk was "we stand behind all of our products 110%" Now it's well, we are going through alot of changes and we will do our best but there are no guarantees. Anybody else have any suggestions on upgrades?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Hummer Authority

I really think its too bad. Predator was a great company, with a lot of awesome products. I've more or less been hearing for the last year nothing but dis-satisfaction from people that have done business with Predator. PDX, go to www.rubberduck4x4.com and call Travis (who can be a bit hard to get on the phone sometimes). Travis IS a standup guy that does stand behind all of his products 110%, and can give you an honest opinion on what performance upgrades.

-007=
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

I gave Travis a call and you were right. He difinately knows what he is talking about and isn't just about selling you as much stuff as you have money to buy which is nice for a change. I went through a bunch of ideas with him and have come up with a nice setup for about1/3 of what predator's kit was going to run me. Thanks again for everyones help!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Hummer Novice

I am still having problems with my stage 4 kit. I had one of the best mechanics examine my problems. He stated the lift kit was installed improperly and is ripping my steering shaft boot and my ABS harness was placed in a dangerous place and needs to be moved. Also, the rims, tires and lift kit caused my tranny to blow out at 38,000 miles and break a half shaft. Predator also told me I could offroad my truck with the rims and tires I got. EVERYONE else says no! Im taking the truck back to Predator to take that crap off! Also, my turbo is having a problem with the waste gate control causing my truck to sputter. Thank God I found an honest mechanic....
Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Wow, so sorry to hear about all of that. I have decided to go with a more simple approach to moding the vehicle. I am going to start with exhaust, a cool kit, manual wastegate controler, and a new ecu all from Travis at rubber duck 4x4. I got a really good vibe from him during our conversation. If you haven't talked at length with him, do!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

cow boy is off the scale

Hi 2002H1, How many in. is your lift? Did Predater install the lift?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Hummer Authority

I'm having a bit of a hard time following which lift you have? I think the Stage IV comes with a body lift to accommodate the intercooler? If so Predator should know full fuking well that wiring harness are going to be lengthened or re-located. Not doing so is just sloppiness on their part. On the other hand you had a ripped half shaft boot, do you have a suspension lift too?

A lifted suspension could accelerate the wear on your CV boots because of the race cage on the outer side coming in contact with the boot lining. As much as that sucks it does kind of come with the territory of having a suspension lift. 600.00 to fix a half shaft is expensive, new (rebuilt) shaft can be had for under 250.00 from www.southernaxle.com. If all they did was replace the boot, then 600.00 is just criminal. I had the dealer fix one once and it was 300.00, still a little rich for my blood.

FWIW. Lifts, wheels, and tires, are all hard on half shafts. If they continue to break I would recommend that you get the 12K half shafts. Rubber duck sells that. If you do go that route make sure to add the diff centering kit, that way you only need one spare shaft for the trails, as opposed to the three that you currently need to carry.

How did you trace the tranny failure to larger tires and wheels? Like I have stated previously I think the HP claims from Predator are generous, however it could make enough power to toast your tranny. Do you have a tranny temp gauge, and were you keeping an eye on it?

I assume you have the mechanical waste-gate installed, your spring is probably out of adjustment and that is what is causing it to sputter. Assuming you have a boost gauge measure your output and make sure its not too high (ASAP), the last thing you want to do is have more problems then you already have had. Keep in mind the springs on the waste-gate do wear out over time, depending on how long you have had it, it may need to be replaced. As much as I hate to tell you this a shotty PCM can also cause boost problems.

Did predator cut a larger hole for your steering shaft? To install a body lift you need to enlarge the hole for the steering shaft. If they did not do this your steering shaft could be rubbing on the boot and tearing it. If they did cut a larger hole but did not clean up the edges of the cut maybe that is tearing up boots? Sorry to hear of all your troubles, hopefully others will read this and stay away from Predator in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002H1
I am still having problems with my stage 4 kit. I had one of the best mechanics examine my problems. He stated the lift kit was installed improperly and is ripping my steering shaft boot and my ABS harness was placed in a dangerous place and needs to be moved. Also, the rims, tires and lift kit caused my tranny to blow out at 38,000 miles and break a half shaft. Predator also told me I could offroad my truck with the rims and tires I got. EVERYONE else says no! Im taking the truck back to Predator to take that crap off! Also, my turbo is having a problem with the waste gate control causing my truck to sputter. Thank God I found an honest mechanic....

-007=
Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Hummer Authority

Glad to hear you got something figured out PDX. Sounds like a nice setup that you are starting out with. Did you listen to the sounds clips of Travis' exhaust on his website? It sounds sweeet (and I am jealous).

Quote:
Wow, so sorry to hear about all of that. I have decided to go with a more simple approach to moding the vehicle. I am going to start with exhaust, a cool kit, manual wastegate controler, and a new ecu all from Travis at rubber duck 4x4. I got a really good vibe from him during our conversation. If you haven't talked at length with him, do!

-007=
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Hummer Novice

Predator talked me into a 2" body lift with a 2" suspension. After they installed both lifts and the stage 4 kit, they called me and said it looked insane but I will need to get new bigger tires to accommodate the lift. I stressed concern before I purchased the lift first and then before I purchased rims / tires. Both times they all stated they do these installations all the time. I was very worried about the Tranny with all these extras. They said the stock tranny is bulletproof. After the put the rims on I picked it up. Right away the coolant light came on. I drove it back. They forgot to add more fluid to the cooling system upgrade. I then left as they were closing. As soon as I got on the freeway the check engine light came on as the truck was sputtering. I took it to a good mechanic and he stated" the waste gate control is locking up and creating the turbo to sputter, they didn't cut a hole for the steering boot and it is ripped, he also stated I should not off-road this truck at all with the rims, tires, and lift they installed. He said it would be unsafe and the rims would crack. I told Predator we travel to Mexico and Havasu alot and we plan on going off-road our H1 often. They LIED... Also, they stated that my hummer is the first one they put the body and suspension after I kept asking questions. I don't remember if I mentioned how they installed their D Ring Bumper wrong, resting on my hood rather than suspending it above the hood. Also they scratched the s--- out of my hood on the passenger side below the D Ring. They don't know what they are doing...I have been there at least 5 times for them to fix problems from their problems. Now Im going on monday to have them take all that CRAP off!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Hummer Novice

Oh yeh, the tranny died in their possession after I brought it back when the check engine light came on. They said they put it in reverse and it wouldn't move. They also have been having problems with their Duramax Conversions from what I was told by their ex employee and a current employee. Checkout magnumoffroad.com This was Predators main mechanic who started his own company. I spoke to him as he created most of predators products and he perfected them on his site. He worked for them for 9 years and never put the body and suspension lift together. PREDATOR LIED!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

wow is all I can say, wow! What a complete nightmare. So sorry to hear that you are having to deal with all of that. I am really glad that this posting is bringing to light the obvious lack of customer service and quality control that predator has. Best of luck getting all of that taken care of.